View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 12:45 AM #24
Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dubblechin has a reputation beyond reputeDubblechin has a reputation beyond reputeDubblechin has a reputation beyond reputeDubblechin has a reputation beyond reputeDubblechin has a reputation beyond reputeDubblechin has a reputation beyond reputeDubblechin has a reputation beyond reputeDubblechin has a reputation beyond reputeDubblechin has a reputation beyond reputeDubblechin has a reputation beyond reputeDubblechin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 27,147.92

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
Still waiting for a response to this post by those who think its because of race and color most find the heavyweights boring. Anyone?
I think the belief began when HBO President Ross Greenburg said he didn't have any interest in televising Klitschko fights - not because they were boring, but because "Americans couldn't tell them apart." He didn't care if they were good fights or bad fights, he just had no interest in them.

Then he said "I think if we had a strong American heavyweight champion it would do wonders for American boxing."

He didn't say "exciting" American heavyweight. He based it on nationality.

Hell, if a German television network announced it would no longer televise the Super Middleweight division because Germans couldn't tell Andre Ward and Andre Dirrell apart and then he said he thought a "Top German Super Middleweight" would do wonders - and they'd definitely televise the top German's super middleweight's fights ... some Americans might find that a "tad" bit racist.

HBO used to be about televising the best fighters - Roy Jones and Whitaker used to bore people to sleep because they were so dominant. HBO didn't refuse to air their fights. You can count the number of competitive, exciting Andre Ward fights on maybe one finger. Same with Chad Dawson. Yet HBO is excited about airing a matchup between those two. So just claiming someone is "Too Dominant" or dull doesn't make sense either.

HBO never said they were going to stop airing heavyweight fights because they were dull. They said they wanted to wait "for an American" heavyweight.

HBO is all about building "American" stars. Hell, when Amir Khan was knocked out a couple weeks ago, they said at the end of the telecast that Khan losing "was good for boxing." Khan losing wasn't good for boxing - it was good for an American network that televises boxing, so they didn't have to haul their cameras to England for fights.

Whether your biased based on race or nationality, it doesn't matter. It's still bias.

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

One of the reasons IBF/WBO/IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko’s defense of the unified heavyweight title against Philadelphia’s Eddie Chambers won’t be televised in the United States is that HBO executives believe U.S. fight fans can’t tell the difference between Wladimir and his brother, WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko.

“For a while, Wladimir was hell-bent on maintaining a presence in the United States, and we were starting to break through with him,” Ross Greenburg, president of HBO Sports, told ESPN. “Unfortunately, at the same time, his brother decided to come back, so that kind of confused the consumer again in the United States. People have trouble differentiating.”

The 51,000+ in attendance and 110 countries that ARE televising the world heavyweight championship fight have managed to differentiate between the brothers. What about you?

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

The division Greenburg is not interested in is heavyweight. Wladimir Klitschko and Vitali Klitschko are fine champions, he said, but there is a lack of interest in them in the United States, meaning a lack of interest in them from HBO.

"I'm really souring on the heavyweights," Greenburg said. "There doesn't seem to be any interest in the U.S. and there doesn't seem to be any heavyweights besides David Haye who would have any juice in challenging the Klitschkos. We're out of the heavyweight division. We're not playing in that sandbox right now. It doesn't make any sense for us. The fights happen over there [in Europe], they're on tape delay. There is just very little interest in this country."

Greenburg said HBO won't make an offer for Wladimir's September fight with Alexander Povetkin.

"We made a decision [Monday]," Greenburg said.

What about doing Vitali's next fight in the fall?

"Nope," he said. "The heavyweights have clearly lost their edge in the United States. I think we have enough stars in the lower weight divisions to get us through a down period for heavyweights. I think if we had a strong American heavyweight champion it would do wonders for American boxing, but it's just a dream at this point."

Other than a Klitschko against Haye, or one of those three against Tomasz Adamek, Greenburg said he doesn't see any heavyweights HBO is interested in.

"Other than that, we'll take a pass," he said. "It would be great if the Klitschkos came over here and reignited some interest in this division. It's tough to continually go over there. I understand their financials. I know how big they are in Germany and they will continue to fight over there. I understand the economics of their business."

Last edited by Dubblechin; 07-24-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Dubblechin is offline   Reply With Quote