No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez vs Gerald McClellan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
    I dunno man, the Pavlik vs Martinez fight was relatively close and Gerald is about the same size as Kelly but a much better boxer and a much much better puncher. I cant see it goin the distance
    Gerald is not the same size as Kelly, Kelly is almost 6'3 and Gerald is 6'1. Well, not a big difference but still in the ring it counts. Pavlik knocked Martinez down but he got up and won, thats a proof that Martinez could take G-Man's punches as well, if he wasn't caught flush that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
      Gerald is not the same size as Kelly, Kelly is almost 6'3 and Gerald is 6'1. Well, not a big difference but still in the ring it counts. Pavlik knocked Martinez down but he got up and won, thats a proof that Martinez could take G-Man's punches as well, if he wasn't caught flush that is.
      I would disagree personally Pastrano, if Pavlik was able to drop him id have to assume G man could Knock him out. I like Sergio tho, his movement is fantastic he's gutsy and fast as fook! Gerald tho to me should have been one of the greats

Comment

Pavlik does not have the one shot KO power of McClellan. Pavlik is the type of fighter who will mostly wear fighters down rather than take them out with one shot. I wouldn't compare their power as equal.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          Pavlik does not have the one shot KO power of McClellan. Pavlik is the type of fighter who will mostly wear fighters down rather than take them out with one shot. I wouldn't compare their power as equal.
          As I said, if McClellan catches him flush, Sergio goes down-end of story. But he would find that EXTREMELY hard to do. Sergio's overall movement, head and body, is so good that its very hard to catch him flush and Pavlik didn't do it either.

Comment

As I said, if McClellan catches him flush, Sergio goes down-end of story. But he would find that EXTREMELY hard to do. Sergio's overall movement, head and body, is so good that its very hard to catch him flush and Pavlik didn't do it either.
            I agree with you there. But if Paul Williams could catch Martinez with power shots(first fight) so could McClellan.

Comment

i see martinez winning by decision. I see him weathering the g-man's early assault, and runnuing away with it towards the 2nd half or the fight.

Comment

I agree with you there. But if Paul Williams could catch Martinez with power shots(first fight) so could McClellan.

What makes you think that? I doubt Sergio would be as aggressive if he were fighting McClellan. He would stay on the outside and box not looking for the KO like he was against Paul Williams

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                  What makes you think that? I doubt Sergio would be as aggressive if he were fighting McClellan. He would stay on the outside and box not looking for the KO like he was against Paul Williams
                  Because Martinez is not impossible to hit. He's very good but he is not some unhittable fighter with a Pernell Whitaker/Willie Pep defense. And Martinez was not going for a KO in the first fight with Williams. He moved quite a bit in that fight and he got hit a lot in that fight too.

Comment

Because Martinez is not impossible to hit. He's very good but he is not some unhittable fighter with a Pernell Whitaker/Willie Pep defense. And Martinez was not going for a KO in the first fight with Williams. He moved quite a bit in that fight and he got hit a lot in that fight too.

Martinez is certainly not impossible to hit but he knows how to box and how to stay on the outside. Also Martinez was definitely looking to KO P-Will that doesn't mean he was standing still but he was willing to exchange all night

I don't think it is some blow out win, McClellan would have his moments but I see Martinez winning 7 or 8 rounds he is the smarter fighter and would know how to steal rounds late.
                    Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 02-19-2011, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                      Martinez is certainly not impossible to hit but he knows how to box and how to stay on the outside. Also Martinez was definitely looking to KO P-Will that doesn't mean he was standing still but he was willing to exchange all night

I don't think it is some blow out win, McClellan would have his moments but I see Martinez winning 7 or 8 rounds he is the smarter fighter and would know how to steal rounds late.
                      I dont know man, i got the feeling Serg would have rather just boxed but Williams puts so much pressure on u and its pressure form a tall fighter, that u almost have to stop and tradefrom time to time just so he dont run u out of the ring!

Comment

Working...
                      X