No announcement yet.

mike tyson suggests over 40 heavyweight tourney

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mike tyson suggests over 40 heavyweight tourney

By James Slater: As fans probably know, there are currently a number of boxing greats gathered in Las Vegas for the latest WBC convention. Legends such as George Foreman, Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns and Mike Tyson are in town, and members of the media are falling over themselves trying to get interview after interview.

One of the best sites on the web when it comes to covering boxing, *********.com has managed to talk with former heavyweight king Tyson, and the retired “Iron” Mike had a very interesting idea about how to help sort out the veteran-infested heavyweight division of today. Speaking with Przemek Garczarczyk, Tyson suggested a tournament consisting of heavyweights who are aged forty and over:

“Fighters over forty cannot compete with the best,” Tyson stated. “They can look good against okay opposition, but not the upper echelon of the heavyweight division. Maybe an over-40 tournament would be a good idea. Just make them fight only eight rounds so they will be full of energy. I’m sure people would buy this. The fights would be entertaining. Everybody over 40 is very welcome except Vitali Klitschko - he is too good.”

Tyson, who at one point in time was unwilling to give either Klitschko too much credit, added that he himself will not be tempted back to fight in a tournament he is suggesting. “It’s not for me anymore. I would be afraid to fight,” he said.

But Tyson’s idea - of putting guys like Evander Holyfield, Oliver McCall, Cedric Boswell, Jameel McCline, Larry Donald, Andrew Golota and even Riddick Bowe - in an elimination tournament would likely do as he says it would and attract fan attention. Bottom line: these guys are so determined to fight on, at least they would be more evenly, and safely matched in such a tourney.

Maybe Tyson could try his hand at promoting!

Tyson added how he has been speaking with former archrival Holyfield (“he looks good, I have to give it to him, but I don’t believe he can beat the best.”) and that boxing is “a new world now,” with Holyfield and his fellow veterans having “no place” in it.

Who would have thought it would be Tyson, with his financial troubles and lust for violence, that would have the sense to walk away way before the perceived smarter guy in Holyfield?

I have an easy solution for Tyson's Vitali Klitschko dilemma: Make Vitali fight these over 40 guys 2 on 1. i.e. Larry Donald and Evander Holyfield tag team vs. Vitali Klitschko. He'd probaby still destroy them

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
      By James Slater: As fans probably know, there are currently a number of boxing greats gathered in Las Vegas for the latest WBC convention. Legends such as George Foreman, Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns and Mike Tyson are in town, and members of the media are falling over themselves trying to get interview after interview.

One of the best sites on the web when it comes to covering boxing, *********.com has managed to talk with former heavyweight king Tyson, and the retired “Iron” Mike had a very interesting idea about how to help sort out the veteran-infested heavyweight division of today. Speaking with Przemek Garczarczyk, Tyson suggested a tournament consisting of heavyweights who are aged forty and over:

“Fighters over forty cannot compete with the best,” Tyson stated. “They can look good against okay opposition, but not the upper echelon of the heavyweight division. Maybe an over-40 tournament would be a good idea. Just make them fight only eight rounds so they will be full of energy. I’m sure people would buy this. The fights would be entertaining. Everybody over 40 is very welcome except Vitali Klitschko - he is too good.”

Tyson, who at one point in time was unwilling to give either Klitschko too much credit, added that he himself will not be tempted back to fight in a tournament he is suggesting. “It’s not for me anymore. I would be afraid to fight,” he said.

But Tyson’s idea - of putting guys like Evander Holyfield, Oliver McCall, Cedric Boswell, Jameel McCline, Larry Donald, Andrew Golota and even Riddick Bowe - in an elimination tournament would likely do as he says it would and attract fan attention. Bottom line: these guys are so determined to fight on, at least they would be more evenly, and safely matched in such a tourney.

Tyson added how he has been speaking with former archrival Holyfield (“he looks good, I have to give it to him, but I don’t believe he can beat the best.”) and that boxing is “a new world now,” with Holyfield and his fellow veterans having “no place” in it.

Who would have thought it would be Tyson, with his financial troubles and lust for violence, that would have the sense to walk away way before the perceived smarter guy in Holyfield?
      I would watch this

Comment

lol make it happen get all the fossils to fight each other

Comment

Give Riddick Bowe a chance to fight Moorer, Mercer and Morrison, four rounds each. He had the most number of missed fight opponents in his era.

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
            Tyson's not mean enough (4 words that you'd never have thought would ever be used)

Comment

foreman still wins via only one with legit power still

Comment

Tyson has a brain WHATTTTTTTTT ????????

All along i thought he was just a god built man destroying machine ........................

Comment

holyfield can still fight.. dont care how well he talks or how old he is, he can still fight. he beat valuev and got robbed.

Comment

"Everybody over 40 is very welcome except Vitali Klitschko - he is too good.” -

Comment

Working...
                    X