The Unpopular Opinion thread.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    This thread should be interesting.

I imagine alot of people have raised there eyebrows at the comments already.

I imagine they have mine.

Jro, I am directly referring to your post here

I know it's not a popular opinion...But, I have him at #5. I think Lamotta was an amazing fighter. He beat Marcel Cerdan, he was the only man to beat Ray Robinson in Ray’s first 135 fights and the only man to beat Ray in his 20’s. beat Fritzie Zivic, tommy Bell, tony Janiro and Bob Murphy. Even though Holman Williams was past his prime. Still was pretty skilled fighter. Lamotta had very deceptive boxing skills IMO, really good at rolling punches.

I just liked what he did in the division. I know MW is a deep talented weight-class. I just personally have him in my top 5. However, I won't argue with anyone who has someone else at #5.

Comment

I dont rate De La Hoya that highly.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
        and I agree with this.
        You and Ruben are the only others I've ever spoke to that think he isn't up there, I remember questioning someones list for having Wilde above Charles and pretty much everyone came down on me like a ton of bricks saying that Wilde could be ranked above Charles and there's not much between them.
        Thought it was ludicrous.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
          You and Ruben are the only others I've ever spoke to that think he isn't up there, I remember questioning someones list for having Wilde above Charles and pretty much everyone came down on me like a ton of bricks saying that Wilde could be ranked above Charles and there's not much between them.
          Thought it was ludicrous.
          To be honest I dont see any rationale for rating Wilde above Charles. Charles' multiple wins over Moore pretty clearly beat anything that Wilde did in his career to me. and thats not even taking into account the ridiculous amount of other good wins Charles had in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
            Undoubtedly Tigers chin was good. That Im not questioning.

but greatest of all time? ehhh.

Griffith dropped him and almost did it again directly after, and Griffith wasnt the biggest puncher ever.

And personally I dont see Foster giving that kind of treatment to someone like Hagler, Monzon, or Hopkins, although that certainly is up for debate.
            But, that was Tiger's last night of his career when he was well well past it.

Numerous fights aftr Foster cracked his chin well and good.

Just can't see how the Griffith fight can be used as a measuring stick for his chin.

I absolutely believe if Monzon, Hagler or Hopkins were on the receiving end of that Foster shot they are feeling the canvass.

And Tiger is an incredibly small LHW.

Comment

Jofre beat Fighting Harada both times

Not sure if it's unpopular as it's not really discussed much I don't think, just throwing it out there.
              Last edited by NChristo; 07-07-2011, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post

I know it's not a popular opinion...But, I have him at #5. I think Lamotta was an amazing fighter. He beat Marcel Cerdan, he was the only man to beat Ray Robinson in Ray’s first 135 fights and the only man to beat Ray in his 20’s. beat Fritzie Zivic, tommy Bell, tony Janiro and Bob Murphy. Even though Holman Williams was past his prime. Still was pretty skilled fighter. Lamotta had very deceptive boxing skills IMO, really good at rolling punches.

I just liked what he did in the division. I know MW is a deep talented weight-class. I just personally have him in my top 5. However, I won't argue with anyone who has someone else at #5.
                I love Jake Lamotta but I just can't see an argument for him being a Top 5 Middleweight, personally.

Monzon
                Greb
                Robinson
                Hagler
                Fitzsimmons

I just can't see any way he can be ranked above any of those fighters at MW, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by yuppie View Post
                  I dont rate De La Hoya that highly.
                  That's not unpopular

Comment

Hagler doesn't have one of the top 10 resumes of the 80s.

Sven Ottke would of beaten Joe Calzaghe and Frankie Liles

Hearns without the win against Virgil Hill isn't an ATG

Marquez is the best bantamweight of the past 40 years

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      But, that was Tiger's last night of his career when he was well well past it.

Numerous fights aftr Foster cracked his chin well and good.

Just can't see how the Griffith fight can be used as a measuring stick for his chin.

I absolutely believe if Monzon, Hagler or Hopkins were on the receiving end of that Foster shot they are feeling the canvass.

And Tiger is an incredibly small LHW.
                      no, this video was in 66, at Middleweight right after the Giardello win and before he fought Foster. It was their first fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X