Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the Mayans just missed 1 year with their end of the world prediction?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Did the Mayans just missed 1 year with their end of the world prediction?

Solar Flare 'Could Paralyze Earth in 2013' - Humanity's Final Days?
    September 21, 2010 05:14 PM EDT (Updated: September 21, 2010 10:24 PM EDT)
    views: 486 | 6 people recommend this | comments: 14

The UK warns that a massive solar flare could paralyze Earth in 2013. The solar flare warning which could paralyze Earth in 2013 has been confirmed by USA's NASA.

The National Ledger states that the sun is beginning to enter an active period filled with solar flares, one of which could paralyze Earth in 2013. The sun goes through 11 year cycles and it is now at the end of its sleep or quiet cycle.

Daily Mail reports that NASA has stated the solar flares expected in "2013 could generate huge radiation levels." and could ruin Earth's communication and electricity grids for months.

NASA is currently using several satellites to see if there is a way to protect Earth from the massive solar flare. Although, the solar flare is not expected for a few years, the fact that it could harm Earth in such a way is a terrifying threat.

Hopefully a solution will be found that will protect us all from the 2013 solar flare. In the mean time, several people are hoarding water and food provisions in case the solar flare does paralyze Earth. What do you think about this threat? Are you concerned about it?

well Mayans was close to December 21, 2012 which is very near 2013 & Solar systems come faster than what is expected lol
    Last edited by PinoyZoi; 09-28-2010, 10:51 PM.

Comment

I dunno, but they just caused a **** storm in Charming and Clay is fuc*ing pissed.

Comment

Im pretty sure that something with the center of the earth, and the magnetic field, will stop anything some solar flares try and do.

Comment

here's the source by the way.

Comment

Well the Daily Mail article that your "source" links to cites NASA. But this is a response from NASA:

There is no solar storm scheduled for 2013, as I have tried to make clear in response to many questions like yours. There is a solar maximum every 11 years, which will include a variety of solar activity such as flares and coronal mass ejections. There is nothing special about 2013 and no specific predicted storm. In fact, I would like see the term solar storm dropped from this discussion entirely. Please read my recent answers or look up solar activity in Wikipedia. Anyone who talks about "a solar storm in 2013" or worries about damage to life on Earth is not telling the truth. But once such rumors begin, no matter how implausible the are, it is difficult to set the record straight.
            http://astrobiology.nasa.gov/ask-an-...tion/?id=11886

Also

Question
            I was reading on Yahoo! about a solar storm in 2013 which may affect us here, in our planet. NASA was the source, and I cannot deny that I got a little frightened. Is there a big probability (over 50%) that this solar storm can kill us in 2013?

It saddens me that legitimate concerns about the effect of solar flares or solar mass ejections on satellites in space are leading to a new outbreak of cosmophobia, this time expressed as a fear of solar storms. Solar storms can’t hurt us on Earth. What the largest events can do is damage electronics in Earth-orbiting satellites. If you are the owner or manufacturer of such a satellite, you should be considering how to protect it from intense but short-lived solar outbursts. However, this is nothing that ordinary people should worry about. The probability that anyone could be killed by a solar storm in 2013 is zero. I wish that the scientists or engineers who are publicly expressing concern about the next solar maximum would make sure they are being understood correctly -- that this is a risk for certain electronics or orbit, but not for humans. The same thing happens every 11 years at the time of solar maximum. If the Sun did not harm you or ruin your life in 1990 or 2001, it will not do so in 2013. Groundless fears of the Sun only distract us from many real problems we should be concerned about, such as climate change and energy, or the loss of habitat and overloading of our planet’s biosphere.

David Morrison
            Astrobiology Senior Scientist
            July 8, 2010
            http://astrobiology.nasa.gov/ask-an-...tion/?id=11650

The thing about the source is that it has to be the source. A web blog or tabloid newspaper is not a science source.

Comment

I think the Mayans just run out of supply.ie stone to carve their calendars because they used most of their supply carving the swinsuit issue.then they all disappear.There must be a reason or at least a conspiracy why they disappear after reading the swimsuit issue.

Comment

I wonder if the scientists that predict solar storms are as lame as the scientists that predict the weather?

Comment

The same thing happens every 11 years at the time of solar maximum. If the Sun did not harm you or ruin your life in 1990 or 2001, it will not do so in 2013.

I was going to say something like this. As soon as I read in the OP "Happens every 11 years" I thought hmm if it happens every 11 years, then that means it has happened before, and we're still here, safely too. So what's the problem? What has happened before, when these solar flairs happen? Nothing. So why the concern? Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                    The same thing happens every 11 years at the time of solar maximum. If the Sun did not harm you or ruin your life in 1990 or 2001, it will not do so in 2013.

I was going to say something like this. As soon as I read in the OP "Happens every 11 years" I thought hmm if it happens every 11 years, then that means it has happened before, and we're still here, safely too. So what's the problem? What has happened before, when these solar flairs happen? Nothing. So why the concern? Lol.
                    I agree!!! Wasn't long ago people were saying it was the millenium and before that it was.....
                    Last edited by TBear; 09-30-2010, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X