Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking of getting some 20oz gloves for sparring. What do you guys recommend?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm thinking of getting some 20oz gloves for sparring. What do you guys recommend?

I ask this because 20oz the padding is different. I need something that when I hit ppl that won't feel it too much so i can open up to get ready to turn pro. Thanks.

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K9 View Post
    I ask this because 20oz the padding is different. I need something that when I hit ppl that won't feel it too much so i can open up to get ready to turn pro. Thanks.
    ringside heavy hitters are good. i just sparred one of the guys in the finals for open 178 nyc golden gloves and thats what he rocks in sparring at all times...

Comment

Originally posted by mspiegelo View Post
      ringside heavy hitters are good. i just sparred one of the guys in the finals for open 178 nyc golden gloves and thats what he rocks in sparring at all times...
      Good look out, I'll check em' out.

Comment

I'm still getting used to 16oz haha, they make a big difference in slowing you down... bigger than I thought it would anyway, but its gonna benefit me in the end so I will have to get used to em.

Good idea on 20oz, they will help increase speed even more... sorry though I can't really recommend anything at the moment.

Comment

Big gloves can, in theory, speed your hands up by obviously working them harder. However, when I first started boxing I was quick to want to buy just a normal pair of 14 oz., the coach told me to continue using those stupid bag mitts for a little more time just to practice the technique first. Big gloves can also act to worsen your style as by using them often you can actually teach your body to reactionary throw punches incorrect, such as hands sinking etc. Then again, if you ensure you punch correctly while getting used to them, would only serve to benefit yourself. Seems as you said you're using them for sparring, I assume you wont be using enough to damage your technique even IF you do throw punches incorrectly while using them.

I'm not coach or anything but I would have thought it wouldn't be a good idea to use gloves that big unless you're 85kg +.

Comment

I have had good experience with Everlast, however, gloves are a very personal matter. Chances are you will have to try numerous brands until you find one that suits your idiosyncrasies. Can be an expensive habit, but a necessity if you are turning pro.

Comment

What's the point of using such large gloves? If you want to increase speed, just shadow box with dumbells. I mean, using 20 oz gloves will be like literally fighting with pillows. You'll be able to block punches with out even trying.

Comment

yea check out the ringside heavy hitter 20 ouncers, i heard they are bigger versions of the ringside safetys.

looking forward to your future career as a professional, vers. may the force be with you.

which sanctioning body will you aim for, to get a belt? lol.

Comment

I would not use 20s for sparring. They will give you a false sense of protection as there bigger than the 10s or 8s you fight with. It also throws your timing off. Stick to 16s. But your choice.

Comment

............You a HW?

Comment

Working...
                    X