No announcement yet.

Who do you rate high and low?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who do you rate high and low?

In comparison to other posters here, sometimes my opinions of fighters go against the grain and if none of yours do, you're either lying to yourself or a sheep. Who do you rate higher or lower than others? Here are some of mine (I'm mostly going off of how good I thought they were, not resume):

Lower
    *George Foreman: It's the technical flaws and questionable stamina that make me think he'd lose to many.

*post exile Ali: He relied a lot on athleticism earlier in his career and after returning lost a lot of his legs and wasn't that hard to hit. His power wasn't great either. I think guys like Lewis and Holmes would outbox him without too much trouble.

*Whitaker: I respect Whitaker a lot, so maybe I shouldn't list him. I just think this board gives him god-like status. Leonard is a similar case.

*Chavez and Monzon: Same reason. They were slow.

*Barrera: Lacked physical gifts which is a big part of why Pac and Junior Jones had their way with him.

*Bowe: Very inconsistent. Easy to hit.

Higher
    *Hamed: He gets written off a lot here because of the Barrera fight (which was close) and a somewhat weak resume. I think he'd beat Barrera on most nights of his career.

*Vitali Klitschko: He doesn't lose rounds and has a great chin. The awkwardness works for him too.

*Roy Jones: Few could find his chin when he was in his prime.

*De La Hoya: Especially at the lower weights.

*Holmes: I think he was better than anyone from the 70s and possibly better than prime Ali. Solid all around.

*Tarver: I feel like he had a habit of fighting to the level of his opponent, but could give almost any light heavy problems.

*Ward/Gamboa/Rigo: I believe the hype

I don't really think "They were slow" is a good justification for why a fighter is overrated.

But to answer your question I think Harold Johnson is a lot greater than the majority of people think. His resume is exceptional as are his skills and ability.

Comment

There is nothing underrated about Naseem Hamed.

I see people waxing poetic about his KO of the rookie Augie Sanchez.....ignoring the fact that a journeyman had previously knocked poor Augie colder than Hamed did, and with just one punch. Augie also busted up Naseem and put him on his ass.

Hamed is horribly overrated by Europeans especially.

Comment

Hamed also laid out Vuyani Bungu with no problem, a guy who hadn't lost in years and put a lot of title defenses under his belt during that time.

Anyway, you aren't supposed to agree with me. That's the point of the thread. You're supposed to list out the people who others won't agree with and state why.

Comment

Low
          Pernell Whitaker - resume is built off fantasy wins

Eddie Mustafa Muhammad and Matthew Saad Muhammad - very exciting and very 1 dimensional fighters

Marvin Hagler - gets credit for having some kind of amazing resume but I don't see it. Also a very small middleweight who fought mostly other small middleweights

High
          Pretty much any 154-168 in the late 80s/early 90s. The most loaded and competitive divisions ever

Barrera - as skilled a fighter as boxing has ever seen and his resume speaks for its self. Is clearly a step above Morales and Marquez.

Pongsaklek Wonjongkam - incredible deep resume full of solid wins against legit opponents who no one in the US has ever heard of.

Rafeal Marquez - best Bantamweight of the last 40 years and I rank him higher than his brother

Comment

Now that I think about it Tim Austin was pretty good. Possibly better than Rafael Marquez at his peak even though he lost to him in an excellent fight.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
              Low
              Pernell Whitaker - resume is built off fantasy wins

Eddie Mustafa Muhammad and Matthew Saad Muhammad - very exciting and very 1 dimensional fighters

Marvin Hagler - gets credit for having some kind of amazing resume but I don't see it. Also a very small middleweight who fought mostly other small middleweights

High
              Pretty much any 154-168 in the late 80s/early 90s. The most loaded and competitive divisions ever

Barrera - as skilled a fighter as boxing has ever seen and his resume speaks for its self. Is clearly a step above Morales and Marquez.

Pongsaklek Wonjongkam - incredible deep resume full of solid wins against legit opponents who no one in the US has ever heard of.

Rafeal Marquez - best Bantamweight of the last 40 years and I rank him higher than his brother

What exactly were Whitaker's "fantasy wins"?

Eddie Mustapha Muhammad was an excellent boxer puncher. How was he one dimensional?

Marquez definitely wasn't better than Carlos Zarate, and maybe not better than Jeff Chandler, among others. You never saw Zarate get KO'd by someone like Genaro Garcia.

Comment

SCTrojan is to be ignored. He has a lot of information in his head, but cannot compute it.

Comment

Eddie Mustafa Muhammad was viewed as a very talented boxer who was criticized throughout his career for being a fighter who never fought hard enough to reach his potential. Talented and multi-faceted fighter.....not enough fire.

That's a fact known by those who followed boxing at the time. yet, here we have this young goober SCtrojan saying he was "exciting but one-dimensional". LMFAO.....EMM was the OPPOSITE of both of this young dummy's description! He wondered why his age and when he started following the game mattered. Here's reason #1.

SC....sit down and shut up. You're not qualified!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    What exactly were Whitaker's "fantasy wins"?

Eddie Mustapha Muhammad was an excellent boxer puncher. How was he one dimensional?

Marquez definitely wasn't better than Carlos Zarate, and maybe not better than Jeff Chandler, among others. You never saw Zarate get KO'd by someone like Genaro Garcia.
                    Whitaker's fantasy wins are Ramirez Chavez and DLH.

EMM was one dimensional and it showed

Marquez is better than Zarate

Oh and Bradley vs Pacquiao is officially the worse decision in the history of boxing and its not close.

Comment

Working...
                    X