No announcement yet.

Will both Klitschkos get in the HOF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Songbird View Post
    Did he sell more ppvs than the likes of tyson and pac?
    There are about 2-4 other fighters who have sold as much as Tyson and Pac. So no. But compared to the level we were discussing, Gatti is rightfully considered a superstar.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
      There are about 2-4 other fighters who have sold as much as Tyson and Pac. So no. But compared to the level we were discussing, Gatti is rightfully considered a superstar.
      Ok so there are different levels of superstars now with gatti maybe being a minor superstar

Comment

• Originally posted by Clegg View Post
        I think you have this the wrong way round. Hatton didn't become popular because he had those fights, he got those fights because he was popular.

After beating Castillo-who was further past his prime than either Tarver or Johnson are IMO-Hatton was more popular than Chad Dawson is right now.

You could just as easily argue that Hatton's claim to fame was beating a past it Tszyu, with the difference being that Jones was better skilled, more successful and more popular than Tszyu.
        That is true. But the reason he was so popular was #1 he was England's biggest fighter. There was literally a country behind him because at or around welterweight there were almost no seriously contending English welters.

No one had heard of him (practically) before the Tzsyu fight. The Tzsyu fight made him in America. I remember that fight being a really big event. Tszyu having just come back 1 fight earlier and totally destroyed Mitchell. The networks hyped that fight.

And then after that all you heard from the English fans was how he could beat Mayweather. And despite all that he was never respected by the American audience. Everyone was always talking about how a ****ty fighter he was. Having a hometown ref who gave him the fight vs Tszyu. While Dawson, even after winning a very close fight to Johnson (one which he looked shakey in), is hailed unanimously as the future of the LHW div.

Dawson fought a better fighter yes. But was there any build up? The networks didnt hype that fight at all! The only big thing Tarver did before the Dawson fight was lose horribly to Hopkins.

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
        The problem with the argument is that Froch isn't even popular in his own country. His fight with Dirrell was shown in the UK by a company responsible for PPV **** channels who had never been involved in boxing or any other sport before. His fight against Taylor was only available to watch live in the UK on an internet stream.

Why don't we compare Pavlik with another foreign boxer: Edison Miranda.

From what I recall, going into Pavlik-Miranda, a large number of people expected Miranda to win, and he was the more popular boxer. This despite the fact that Pavlik is American and Miranda is Colombian.
        And Edison became as big as he was because of his one punch KO power. You could be the ugliest human being in the world but there some things that make up for it. People are just naturally awed by the ability of a lights out KO. Which Pavlik doesn't have.

There are people like that, (Tyson) who could come from anywhere and still make it big in the US. It certainly is not impossible, but it is harder. Think about it. Tyson was being covered in the media from a very early age. There was a buzz about him before he turned pro! Because he was fighting in the US.

If you were to take an average fighter. Someone like Pavlik. And now just imagine that he was from Iraq. Tell me that he would be just as popular as Pavlik is.
        Last edited by Konstantin; 03-03-2010, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
          That is true. But the reason he was so popular was #1 he was England's biggest fighter. There was literally a country behind him because at or around welterweight there were almost no seriously contending English welters.
          Unless you count Junior Witter, the guy who chased a fight with Hatton for several years...

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
          No one had heard of him (practically) before the Tzsyu fight. The Tzsyu fight made him in America. I remember that fight being a really big event. Tszyu having just come back 1 fight earlier and totally destroyed Mitchell. The networks hyped that fight.

And then after that all you heard from the English fans was how he could beat Mayweather.

Dawson fought a better fighter yes. But was there any build up? The networks didnt hype that fight at all! The only big thing Tarver did before the Dawson fight was lose horribly to Hopkins.
          So the difference was network hype?

You seem to change your stance with each post.

Apparently, if an American is more popular than a European, then it's because of nationality.

But if a European is more popular than an American, then it's because of skills and resume.

But if the American is more skilled, then it's because of the European being very popular in Europe.

But wait...don't the K brothers get millions of people watching them in Germany?

And Edison became as big as he was because of his one punch KO power. You could be the ugliest human being in the world but there some things that make up for it. People are just naturally awed by that ability.

There are people like that, (Tyson) who could come from anywhere and still make it big in the US. It certainly is not impossible, but it is harder. Think about it. Tyson was being covered in the media from a very early age. There was a buzz about him before he turned pro! Because he was fighting in the US.
          Right, so it comes down to excitement, not nationality. Thanks for finally accepting that, albeit it 10 pages too late.

If you were to take an average fighter. Someone like Pavlik. And now just imagine that he was from Iraq. Tell me that he would be just as popular as Pavlik is.
          It would depend upon his career progression. But if he fought on HBO and knocked out guys like Miranda and Jermain Taylor then I think he'd be as popular, yes. Despite his career faltering in the last 18 months, Pavlik earned his popularity and reputation by taking tough fights, knocking people out in exciting fashion, and getting up off of the floor to win. He wasn't a boring fighter who got mass attention before he'd even beat anyone of note.

Pavlik did get overrated by some, but he fought his way to the top by beating contenders and taking fights that he wasn't expected to win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clegg View Post
            Unless you count Junior Witter, the guy who chased a fight with Hatton for several years...

So the difference was network hype?

You seem to change your stance with each post.

Apparently, if an American is more popular than a European, then it's because of nationality.

But if a European is more popular than an American, then it's because of skills and resume.

But if the American is more skilled, then it's because of the European being very popular in Europe.

But wait...don't the K brothers get millions of people watching them in Germany?

Right, so it comes down to excitement, not nationality. Thanks for finally accepting that, albeit it 10 pages too late.

It would depend upon his career progression. But if he fought on HBO and knocked out guys like Miranda and Jermain Taylor then I think he'd be as popular, yes. Despite his career faltering in the last 18 months, Pavlik earned his popularity and reputation by taking tough fights, knocking people out in exciting fashion, and getting up off of the floor to win. He wasn't a boring fighter who got mass attention before he'd even beat anyone of note.

Pavlik did get overrated by some, but he fought his way to the top by beating contenders and taking fights that he wasn't expected to win.
            I'm not sure why you think I keep changing my stance? I think I clearly stated 2 posts ago, if everything else was equal aka network hype, skills, resume. Then the foreign fighter wouldn't be as popular.

In my previous post I reaffirmed what I said earlier. That the network hype is what helped him get more popular than Dawson. Not the fact that he was foreign. Which does not contradict ANYTHING I said.

So you think a fighter from a country that the US is at war with. Has terrorist stereotypes against is gonna be as popular as a white boy from Ohio!?
            Last edited by Konstantin; 03-03-2010, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Isn't the ABOVE what you said, in response to my comment that "You can argue that Lennox Lewis dominated a weak division.."?

Yeah, that's YOUR name on top.

Clown.
              I said that Lennox Lewis shared his titles too for most of the time, since he only held them all for a short period of time, as anyone who goes through the posts can check, but nice try, troll.

Clown.

Comment

My point is that if you were referring to one person who did all that - dominated and beat a division full of challengers (weak or strong), then I'd say yes. You can point to Lennox Lewis and say he dominated a weak division but how much worse would it be if he split the opponents with someone else? You can't pretend the Klitschko's are one person.
                That's what I was quoting.

Originally posted by Pirao View Post
                But he did, he only held all the titles for a short period of time, when he didn't he was not fighting everyone because some of those guys were fighting for some of the easier belts (like Haye is doing now for example), that happens all the time in every division.
                This is what I said.

Where did I say Lennox fought weak challengers? You, just making **** up again and trolling

Comment

• An interesting piece I've found today

http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxin...re-would-rank/

Comment

Working...
                  X