Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did people act like Linares was an elite fighter after the Loma fight???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
    Jesus, why are you taking this so personal? Two posts on here already defending Lomachenko and crying like a legit fanboy. We're all a bunch of boxing nerds on a boxing forum, of course we scrutinize and analyze everything with the sport. The OP raises a fair point, Lomachenko went to war and got dropped by a guy Cano wrecked in 1. lol It's not a good win.
    Not sure he “went to war” with Linares. It was competitive, sure but he was in control of the action and basically fought with one arm. Linares is a skilled fighter but has limited punch resistance. Nobody argues that but it was a good win for a smaller dude like Loma moving up fighting the dude who got #1 in the division. Loma is just an average sized Featherweight.

I’m saying OP is hypocritical. He says all Euro boxers suck and after Charlo-Korobov made posts pleading that Korobov is an unbelievable fighter and what Charlo accomplished getting the gift was a phenomenal achievement. Yet didn’t factor in that Korobov took the fight on a few days notice as he was preparing to fight a nobody in the super middle division for 8 rounds and was KO’d by Andy Lee and isn’t that good.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      Yeah, that win isn't anything special and it was being hyped up. If anything, it really shows that Lomachenko is hyped up as well. True, Jorge is a skilled guy and was a on a nice little run (nothing special though) but it was only a matter of time until somebody destroyed him again. Funny he went to war with Lomachenko and even dropped him then completely got blown out by Cano LOL.
      Linares was a bigger man than Lomachenko. Linares getting blown out by a bigger man in Cano doesn't mean **** against Lomachenko. He was already taking a challenge fighting a bigger man. Lomachenko should not fight at 140. He's at most, a 126-130 lb fighter at his best. Linares was similar to a certain degree.

Need I remind y'all, Cano beat Herrera who arguably got robbed against Danny Garcia... Does that make Danny a bum too? Oh wait, circle theories only matter when we use it to hate on a fighter we don't like, amirite or amirite?

Hell, Cano arguably beat Paulie, and even if he was feather-fisted, it was at welterweight.

Comment

Absolutely false, I don't think anyone hyped up Linares the way you describe. Linares is a gatekeeper and if he could have some success against Loma is because Loma is a natural 126-130 pounder that is outsized at 135.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
          Linares was an elite lightweight at the time...he hadn't lost since 2012, Was a champion (former unified) at lightweight and a 3 weight world champion. The thing is that he just doesn't bounce back from losses well like we saw earlier in his career and he hit his ceiling. This fight says nothing about the Loma fight.
          This is what I'm talking about

Linares has never been elite. He just got fortunate to become a champion in a weak division and went on an undefeated run.

He has no great wins and has been stopped 5 times. His losses wouldn't really matter if he had great wins on his resume but he doesn't. He's just simply a good/great fighter. Far from elite
          Last edited by mcdonalds; 01-22-2019, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdonalds View Post
            This is what I'm talking about

Linares has never been elite. He just got fortunate to become a champion in a weak division and went on an undefeated run.

He has no great wins and has been stopped 5 times. His losses wouldn't really matter if he had great wins on his resume but he doesn't. He's just simply a good/great fighter. Far from elite
            You won't change my opinion and I won't change yours...it's okay. I think he is an elite boxer at lightweight with his weaknesses. Like I said, he never handled losses well, that's why he got stopped back to back earlier in his career against a lesser fighter. He was winning the DeMarco fight and got stopped because of cuts. Then right after that fight he got stopped early on vs a nobody really. The evidence is there that he doesn't take losses well. He rebuild his career and went undefeated for 6 years untill he ran into another great fighter in Lomachenko. Then after that loss he got stopped early on as well vs a lesser, but bigger fighter in Cano. It's painfully obvious when you put things into perspective. But I won't change your mind and I don't have to as long as you respect my opinion as well.

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
              Absolutely false, I don't think anyone hyped up Linares the way you describe. Linares is a gatekeeper and if he could have some success against Loma is because Loma is a natural 126-130 pounder that is outsized at 135.
              Linares was hyped up by Oscar's magazine and his media fan boys, Kim, Fisher and Montoya. Linares never really beat anyone of note and you had people on here saying he should retire and is a Hall of Famer because of being a 3 division champ yet they crap on Broner being a 4 division champ. Linares pretty much feasted on Euro lever fighters during his run. Funny thing is Fisher likes to criticize certain fighters but praises GB fighters for pretty much doing the same things other non GB fighters are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
                Linares was an elite lightweight at the time...he hadn't lost since 2012, Was a champion (former unified) at lightweight and a 3 weight world champion. The thing is that he just doesn't bounce back from losses well like we saw earlier in his career and he hit his ceiling. This fight says nothing about the Loma fight.
                well, thats just childish. all a fighters performances go into rating him as a fighter. how you rate him as a fighter impacts lomas win in terms of accomplishment. its not like its a fight way before or after, he is the same guy.

linares can be a slow starter and he doesnt have a great chin. thats always been the case. that doesnt take away from his phenomenal boxing ability, especially his offense. he isnt an easy guy to deal with by any means, he also isnt quite as good as people figured he would be. myself included.

if you look at his resume, he doesnt have any huge wins, just a lot of good ones. even his best wins werent against the best competition and he often times struggled significantly regardless. against top notch competition (and less than top notch) he can be a bit fragile.

Comment

Originally posted by SniXSniPe View Post
                  Linares was a bigger man than Lomachenko. Linares getting blown out by a bigger man in Cano doesn't mean **** against Lomachenko. He was already taking a challenge fighting a bigger man. Lomachenko should not fight at 140. He's at most, a 126-130 lb fighter at his best. Linares was similar to a certain degree.

Need I remind y'all, Cano beat Herrera who arguably got robbed against Danny Garcia... Does that make Danny a bum too? Oh wait, circle theories only matter when we use it to hate on a fighter we don't like, amirite or amirite?

Hell, Cano arguably beat Paulie, and even if he was feather-fisted, it was at welterweight.
                  Linares was "blown away" by Salgado...

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                    well, thats just childish. all a fighters performances go into rating him as a fighter. how you rate him as a fighter impacts lomas win in terms of accomplishment. its not like its a fight way before or after, he is the same guy.

linares can be a slow starter and he doesnt have a great chin. thats always been the case. that doesnt take away from his phenomenal boxing ability, especially his offense. he isnt an easy guy to deal with by any means, he also isnt quite as good as people figured he would be. myself included.

if you look at his resume, he doesnt have any huge wins, just a lot of good ones. even his best wins werent against the best competition and he often times struggled significantly regardless. against top notch competition (and less than top notch) he can be a bit fragile.
                    Well everything you said was on point tbh, I don't disagree with you at all. But my main point was that Linares doesn't take losses well, we saw it earlier in his career. He is fragile, but like you said he is elite in other areas. Maybe Elite is the wrong word...but he was definitely world class at his best.

Comment

It dosen't really matter who lomachenko beats. He'll never get his due from some people no matter what. I remember people like you and DBN made videos saying walters lomo is a 50/50 fight and winner of that fight is p4p top 5. Then when lomo won walters became a bum. Then videos were made saying rigo would beat lomo and the fight is 50/50 with half of this forum picking rigo to win. After the fight, rigo became too old and too small. If he beats mikey, people will say mikey never beat anyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X