No announcement yet.

UNDER 200 lbs Vs OVER 230 lbs..?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNDER 200 lbs Vs OVER 230 lbs..?

With the size issue being a current topic, I thought it would be interesting to use our combined knowledge to find out how many times, fights in this category have taken place and, who came out on top?..

Must admit, I'm struggling for examples, which is the purpose of the thread, so help would be appreciated..

Not 100%... but possibly

Baer Carnera?
    Spinks Cooney?
    Jones Ruiz?
    Dempsey Willard?

Out of those, I think Dempsey Willard is the only one that is... Regards mm

21 year old Joe Louis weighed 196 compared to the 260 pound Primo Carnera.

Result: 6th round TKO after Carnera was knocked down three times

Chris Byrd claimed he weighed under 200 pounds against 240 pound Wladimir Klitschko although he was officially weighed in at 213 pounds.

Result: Wladimir won by UD and a 7th round TKO in the rematch.

Jeffries was listed at either 230 pounds or 217 pounds when he fought the 165 pound Joe Choynski.

Result: 20 round draw

175 lb Mickey Walker fought 223 pound Artur De Kuh.

Result: Walker won by 1st round KO

5'1, 140 pound Barbados Joe Walcott fought 6'6, 255 pound Fred Russell.

Result: A 6-round draw that was said to have been won by Walcott who dropped his huge opponent for a 9 count.

Comment

Good stuff there, GreatA... Especially Walcott!

I've always said that history favours the smaller guy, but I'm not so sure about the present, or the future...

Comment

Well technically Michael Spinks wasn't under 200 lbs when he fought Cooney,if you mean by 30 pound weight advantage then fair enough.

A more recent example can be found in Eddie Chambers clowning Alexander Dimitrenko,who weighed 45 pounds heavier and six inches taller than Chambers

Comment

It usually requires a defensive, clever sort of style to overcome such a massive size difference, unless the bigger guy is just a useless sack of **** with little boxing skill, like Carnera or Willard.

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
            It usually requires a defensive, clever sort of style to overcome such a massive size difference, unless the bigger guy is just a useless sack of **** with little boxing skill, like Carnera or Willard.
            Lol... Or Valuev & Dimitrenko!.... Fair play to Chambers!... Even though he doesn't fit into the thread category of under 200, it's still shows a glimmer of hope for US HW boxing..

Comment

dosnt quite fit but john l vs corbett was 212 to 178 34 lb's diffrence

Tom Johnson vs Isaac Perrin 202 vs 328
              Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 10-03-2009, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ylem View Post
                dosnt quite fit but john l vs corbett was 212 to 178 34 lb's diffrence
                Yeh... Corbett has to be the best of the 'miniture' heavies!

Comment

Working...
                X