Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Weight training questions...come here

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though you want to lose 40-50 lbs, I would make sure I did some strength work as well. You want to lose a majority of body fat, not a majority of muscle mass. You will lose some, but try and keep it to a minimum.

With your knee, there is a fair bit of rehab type exercises for the early stages to strengthen it, but I would suggest you speak to your physio or Dr about it as I don't want to suggest a routine without knowing the full extent of the injury...I am nothing if not caring and professional!!

Comment

I figure if you've been lifting for 8 years and you aren't dead yet, you gotta know something..... :lol:
      My question:
      I have a 16 yr old who I have to spot while he is lifting. He does 6 sets of 10, with 140 lbs. And how long should he stick to this before moving up and adding weights? Would a bowflex with a tower give him the same results? (thinking christmas here)......

Comment

How easy is he doing the reps in each set at that weight? If he is doing them pretty easy for the best part of the time, then he should look to increasing the pounds. At 16 I would suggest he does it reasonably gradually but a jump to 150 or 155 would not be out of the question.

try this out. Keep the 6 sets...first one use as a warm up type set, do 15 - 20 reps at about 100 lbs. After that, sets 2 - 5, use weight range of 140 to 155, try for a good 10 reps at 140 in set 2, set 3 150 for as many as possible, set 4 if feeling strong, 155 for as many as possible, set 5 either 150 or 155, as many as possible again. With set 6, come back down to 140 or 145 and get a solid 10 out again.

This should change up the routine a bit and stimulate new growth hopefully.

As for the Bowflex question, to be honest, I was taught by some older guys when I was 17/18 and had free weights drummed into me! The machines I have used haven't had the feel of free weights and you don't get the same gains as you generally don't use the same assisting muscles to stabilise the weight that you do with free weights. That being said, they do have their place, especially with beginners or injured people.

What is the rest of his programme like?

Comment

First, he is 5'7" & weighs 125 lbs. He curls, 2 sets of 10, 40 lb dumbells, then he does butterflys, 4 sets of 10, 40 lbs. Then benching. Thank you for helping me here!!! :lol:

Comment

He is doing well at his size to be lifting what he is...it is always good to see someone able to bench more than their bodyweight, especially at 16.

What he does so far is a start, but it would be ideal if he could expand that programme a bit and start to train more of his body. Give this a try...

bench 5-6 x 6-10 as written before
            Squat 5 x 8 - 12. One of the best whole body exercises anyone can do.
            Chin ups if possible 4 x as many as possible.
            Upright rows 4 x 8 - 12. Great for upper back/traps.
            Military press 4 x 8 - 12. For shoulder development
            Dips 4 x as many as possible. Triceps and chest
            Curls 4 x 8 - 12 for the biceps.

This is a solid basic programme that will help him out with his whole body development.

Make sure he uses good technique with all the exercises though, especially squats as it is adesirable to avoid injury. There are some good sites or books around to describe correct form, or failing that, PM me and I can help out.

Comment

OK i have a ****ty bench. i know this. but i was kinda ipressed when on a sitting bench maching (sitting straight up pushing out in front of you) i was pushing 16 reps of 1502 times after doin 3 sets of 120x20. is this good?

also on a laid down bench doin 20 reps starting with only the bar and adding 10lbs then 5 lbs then 5 lbs etc.. etc.. to each side is that good?

Comment

It sounds like you have a good level of muscular endurance by the amount of reps you were doing on the sitting bench machine. Perhaps try a higher weight? The best way to improve is by continually increasing the resistance you are lifting, same as with cardio, the best way to improve is by running harder, or swimming further etc.

You have the right idea with the flat bench, keep going with that, you will find that your strength will increase over time.

Try this on flat bench and see how it goes.

Warm up with the bar...do about 20 - 30 reps with this.

1st set ... 15 lbs a side
                2nd set ... 25 lbs a side
                3rd set ... 25lbs a side
                4th set ...20 lbs a side
                Adjust these weight as you see fit. If you can do heavier, by all means do.

How many reps are you getting with the weights currently? It may be that you could lift a lot heavier thasn this, but haven't really tried to as yet...

Comment

my last memory of benching before today was summer of 8th grade i couldn;t put up 90lbs and i was embarased and haven;t done it since.

Comment

Thats cool, go with my initial suggestion in my last post. You will improve quickly from this, believe me. Those 8th grade memories will be long forgotten

Comment

ok seldomTap, got my 16 yr old a weider crossbow, got to put the friggin thing together, soon as we do that we can get busy. Have you heard of it, what do you think? Also I plan on using it, but have a question, is it possible for me to shoot myself across the street using it, as this would be very embarassing. I do not want guy muscles, just toning, what do you recommend?

Comment

Working...
                      X