No announcement yet.

Google's 'Project Glass' Teases Augmented Reality Glasses

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's 'Project Glass' Teases Augmented Reality Glasses

Sorry if already posted i didn't see another thread on it.
    PS this is NOT one of Google's April fools jokes, they have been working on these for awhile.

Google has taken the wraps off its long-rumored augmented reality glasses project, officially dubbed "Project Glass."

A concept video, titled "One day...," shows how Google's glasses might work. In the video, the user performs tasks commonly handled by smartphones, such as scheduling meetings, taking pictures, checking the weather, getting directions, and placing a video call. The information simply hovers in the user's field of view, and the interface is controlled by voice or other inputs.

Google says it is gathering feedback from users on Project Glass, according to a post on Google+ by Babak Parviz, Steve Lee and Sebastian Thrun. The post contains a few "design photos" of people wearing augmented reality glasses. These glasses have a small second screen--presumably for the video output--above one of the lenses, with an extra thick arm that extends back to the ear.

"We’re sharing this information now because we want to start a conversation and learn from your valuable input," they wrote. "So we took a few design photos to show what this technology could look like and created a video to demonstrate what it might enable you to do."

This is the first time Google has publicly acknowledged its augmented reality glasses project. In February, the New York Times reported that Google was planning to release the glasses later this year, in a price range of $250 to $500. The glasses reportedly emerged from "Google X," a secret lab where the company experiments with futuristic projects. In the Google+ post, the lab is referred to as "Google[x]."

Although the Google+ post frames the video and photos as designs of what the technology "might" do, the New York Times reports that Google will be testing prototypes in the coming months. It's unclear whether a product launch is still on track for the end of the year, as previously reported.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25320...y_glasses.html

This will be the future and ill be rocking one of these as soon as they come out. I'm surprised Apple didn't think of this first, probably they did and google stole it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bombs View Post
      This will be the future and ill be rocking one of these as soon as they come out. I'm surprised Apple didn't think of this first, probably they did and google stole it though.
      Its been in development for awhile.

Apple is never the first to bring out anything so i don't see why you're surprised. If you've followed the tech industry outside of Apple you would see that they take older tech and refine it.

Comment

inb4 LOL @ Apple

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
          inb4 LOL @ Apple
          this is just full of fail.
          Try so hard to get a 1nb4 at every tread.

That **** is getting old you bum, welcome to 2011

Comment

in b4 iBreakbeat says that Steve Jobs invented a better one which is functionally identical but costs five times more.

Comment

how long can the batteries possibly last if you intend to use it the full day?

It must be some really small battery.

Comment

My dad is part of the team working on these! I haven't really heard any details, but hopefully I get a free pair

Comment

I just wanna be able to watch **** while walking around town....

Comment

It was jst on the news. They spossed to cost anywhere between $200-600 when they do come out. They are debating the power source right now among other things(like how to incorperate the vision impaired ie. folks that wear glasses). One thought is that they will use the android platform to power it or through your particular handheld device. Once they get this out I can see it blowin up and changing the game like the laptop and cell phone did.

Comment

Working...
                    X