No announcement yet.

Usyk: Britain is number 1 for boxing.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usyk: Britain is number 1 for boxing.

Usyk is going to be mandatory for the winner of the AJ/Ruiz rematch. In this interview he says he would rather fight AJ, at Wembley, than Ruiz. Not just for the money and the 85k crowd, but because he thinks AJ would be a tougher opponent than Andy.

He also says he wants to fight AJ, Fury, and Wilder, within 12 months.

A little later in the interview he is asked where the UK stands in world boxing, after the recent big fights in the US.

Usyk: "Britain is number one."

Usyk is definitely talented, but still unproven as a HW pro. He shouldn't be able to walk in and face the best. He's gotta work through the line there ahead of him.

As a HW, all of them take and fight through a lot of wear and tear getting to the top. If he skips that, it's actually an unfair advantage. If I were a top guy, he would need to battle the Kownacki's, Joyce's, Efi's, etc before we would talk. Why should he get a fight over those guys?

Cruiser is cruiser. I applaud his work. I'm a fan too, I like his style and what he showed in the Olympics. But Beterbiev bullied him in a loss. There are a lot of pro HW's who could bully him too, and perhaps not lose. He needs to work his way in. Two or three fights at least.

hearn may give him AJ (same stable), but he won't be fighting Ruiz, Wilder, or Fury anytime soon .... unless hearn offers some outstanding cash (with no BS side terms).

That said, I could see Usyk possibly being champ one day ...

As per "UK number one" ... it's whatever. You can make good money anywhere in the world (ask Paquiao). As AJ found out, the US is where it WILL be decided for history.
    Last edited by MastaBlasta; 08-01-2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

US is where the 'money' of boxing is, UK is where the 'soul' of boxing is.

Comment

Why does Usyk go immediately to the front of the line? I like the guy but dang pay some dues first. Fight the winner of Kownacki- Arreola for example.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post

Usyk: "Britain is number one."

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
            Why does Usyk go immediately to the front of the line? I like the guy but dang pay some dues first. Fight the winner of Kownacki- Arreola for example.
            Because thats the rules of WBO, when a super champ moves up they get a mando shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Qbox View Post
              US is where the 'money' of boxing is, UK is where the 'soul' of boxing is.
              Money is what counts in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
                What's going on in that gif of yours?

It looks like Usyk is ticking Fast Eddie off for something.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                  What's going on in that gif of yours?

It looks like Usyk is ticking Fast Eddie off for something.
                  In the video Eddie points at Usyk and says “when he fought it was 1-0 Ukraine, but with your fight England is going to tie it up!” And Loma goes “my fight? Oh Eddie!!” And burst out laughing.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaBlasta View Post
                    Usyk is definitely talented, but still unproven as a HW pro. He shouldn't be able to walk in and face the best. He's gotta work through the line there ahead of him.

As a HW, all of them take and fight through a lot of wear and tear getting to the top. If he skips that, it's actually an unfair advantage. If I were a top guy, he would need to battle the Kownacki's, Joyce's, Efi's, etc before we would talk. Why should he get a fight over those guys?

Cruiser is cruiser. I applaud his work. I'm a fan too, I like his style and what he showed in the Olympics. But Beterbiev bullied him in a loss. There are a lot of pro HW's who could bully him too, and perhaps not lose. He needs to work his way in. Two or three fights at least.

hearn may give him AJ (same stable), but he won't be fighting Ruiz, Wilder, or Fury anytime soon .... unless hearn offers some outstanding cash (with no BS side terms).

That said, I could see Usyk possibly being champ one day ...

As per "UK number one" ... it's whatever. You can make good money anywhere in the world (ask Paquiao). As AJ found out, the US is where it WILL be decided for history.
                    The WBO rules say an undisputed champion gets a mandatory shot at their title if he moves to a new division.

Usyk losing to Beterbiev years ago as an amateur doesn't mean he can't hack it as a pro at HW. AJ and Wilder were both KO'd in the amateurs.

Comment

Working...
                    X