Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cupocity303 View Post
    Those are subjective subcategories.

Useless.

You judge a fighter's total career, not in bits and pieces. This isn't a seasonal sport like Football or Basketball.

And in that case, Hopkins was the more consistent one, whether young or old. Never getting Ko'd or dominated in a decision loss.

Beat the guys that beat RJJ and then some.
    Great post. Hopkins owns RJJ career. Hopkins=ATG

Comment

at their best i will always believe roy beats him 10/10 times. but hopkins just keeps going and going...

Comment

I think Roy accomplished more in his prime thaN hOPKINS, AND BEAT HIM WHEN IT MEANT SOMETHING(93). But, gotta give Hopkins his due. I think they both are top 15-20 all time. Roy accomplished something in his career that hadnt occured in over a century, and still is there today. Hopkins did something no man has done, in less weight classes. They are about even. I give em both props and their credit.

Comment

Roy would get the nod in the talent department. But Hopkins list of victims is 10x that of Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonheart View Post
            I think Roy accomplished more in his prime thaN hOPKINS, AND BEAT HIM WHEN IT MEANT SOMETHING(93). But, gotta give Hopkins his due. I think they both are top 15-20 all time. Roy accomplished something in his career that hadnt occured in over a century, and still is there today. Hopkins did something no man has done, in less weight classes. They are about even. I give em both props and their credit.
            I disagree with this. The wins over each other, cancel each other out. Neither guy beat the other at his best. So we judge and compare them based on fights against same opponents and other things, like who was more consistent throughout out the total of their career.

The Hopkins of 93 wasn't a seasoned veteran who fully developed his crafty skills. That fight was between a Prime, Undefeated, Silver (Gold) Olympic Medalist, and a Con man who just got released from prison a few years ago.

It's the equivalent of Andre Ward fighting some 20-1 record guy with no strong Amateur pedigree. Or Gamboa doing the same. Yet still, Roy couldn't humiliate him the way did most of the guys we see on RJJ Youtube videos. Which was a sign of things to come from Hopkins.
            Last edited by cupocity303; 05-22-2011, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_L View Post
              at their best i will always believe roy beats him 10/10 times. but hopkins just keeps going and going...
              Ten times out of ten? I'd accept 7 times out of 10 ratio, hell even 8 out of 10 out of respect for Roy. But ten out of ten?

What gives you that impression? Their first fight when they both were young? If he actually schooled Hopkins the way he did other fighters, then you would be on solid grounds, but he didn't.

Roy Jones in his prime got hurt and knocked down. He had fights where he struggled in his prime (First Griffin fight, Eric Harding fight until Harding hurt his hand and fight got stopped). If they could do it, Hopkins sure could've done it. To say that Hopkins has no chance is plain ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by cupocity303 View Post
                Those are subjective subcategories.

Useless.

You judge a fighter's total career, not in bits and pieces. This isn't a seasonal sport like Football or Basketball.

And in that case, Hopkins was the more consistent one, whether young or old. Never getting Ko'd or dominated in a decision loss.

Beat the guys that beat RJJ and then some.
                That's true but I think a prime Jones is simply hard to touch. But w/o RJJ's athleticism, he was done. And yes, it is subjective.

Comment

Glad to see The Legend dominating the poll

Comment

This guy made another convincing argument in favor of Hopkins:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=482425

Comment

I can't possibly see how one can justify Roy Jones being "greater" than Hopkins; especially as TS pointed out, we are viewing this comparison through a historical lens.

Comment

Working...
                      X