No announcement yet.

Great displays of sportsmanship?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great displays of sportsmanship?

It's getting common these days that press conferences end up in brawls. It's sad. IMO boxing needs less people like Angel Garcia, and bring back guys like Floyd Patterson.

Great acts of true sportsmanship, off the top of my head:

- Barrera immediately kneeling and comforting Paulie Ayala who was still on his knees after a brutal body shot.
    - Pacquiao refusing to KO Margarito in the late rounds, asking ref to stop the fight.
    - Duran visiting his rival De Jesus who was dying of AIDS. Hugged and kissed at a time when little was known and so much feared about said disease.

Anything else? I'm sure Arguello had many moments but I don't know much about him.

I see great displays of sportsmanship most often when two warriors go toe-to-toe and are still standing at the end. They usually embrace in a show of mutual respect and relief that it's finally over.

Great sportsmanship is also demonstrated when a defeated fighter congratulates the victor, or a victor consoles the loser and extols his virtues as a fighter.

Comment

Basically any Arguello fight. Arguello-Mancini especially.

Comment

Originally posted by Miburo View Post
        Basically any Arguello fight. Arguello-Mancini especially.
        Excellent example.

Comment

When bob foster KOd quarry he was very concerned. watch the fight

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
            When bob foster KOd quarry he was very concerned. watch the fight
            When I watch Bob Foster KO people I get concerned.

Mancini vs Arguello is a great one, remember Arguello got thumbed or something and winced and wiped his eye, Mancini just waited for him to get over it.

Toney vs Nunn, not sure if this was intentional by Toney or he just didn't know wtf was going on, but Nunn stopped to kick a towel out of the ring.

Monzon vs Valdez, Valdez was in the corner and ended up with his back to Monzon somehow. Monzon took a step back and waited for him to reset. It's tragic how Monzon was such a bad piece of work outside the ring, otherwise he'd make my favourite fighter list.

Tyson tried to comfort his fallen opponent quite a lot, he did it with McNeely and many others.

Dempsey went over to Firpo once that was said and done.

Comment

3:27

Comment

I've seen Dempsey sprint to more than one knockout victim, help them to their feet, congratulate them and get them an ovation. Great man, Dempsey.

Comment

For someone with a shady past, Mike Tyson showed some class after Lewis put him out. It was obvious that all the pre fight trash was just to try and get into Lewis' head, and that his respect for Lennox seemed very genuine.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    For someone with a shady past, Mike Tyson showed some class after Lewis put him out. It was obvious that all the pre fight trash was just to try and get into Lewis' head, and that his respect for Lennox seemed very genuine.
                    That bit about eating Lennox's children is classic...

Comment

Working...
                    X