No announcement yet.

Charley Burley at welterweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    I don't have him in my personal Top 10 at WW.

Like others I rank him at MW, despite his prime being at WW. Simply because he did more there.

But I'd say he certainly has an argument for Top 10 at WW.

1.Sugar Ray Robinson
    2.Henry Armstrong
    3.Ray Leonard
    4.Joe Walcott
    5.Kid Gavilan
    6.Emile Griffith
    7.Jimmy Mclarnin
    8.Barney Ross
    9.Jose Napoles ()
    10.Tommy Hearns

That'a my personal WW list. Who could he replace? Tommy Hearns maybe?
    If Hearns wasn't there then he would still have Jack Britton, Luis Rodriguez, Mickey Walker and Basilio to contend with, I don't think I could make room for Burley in a top 10 WW list at all.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
      If Hearns wasn't there then he would still have Jack Britton, Luis Rodriguez, Mickey Walker and Basilio to contend with, I don't think I could make room for Burley in a top 10 WW list at all.
      Once u get to the level of greatness these fella's operate at then its almost just down to personal preference, real hard to split them. But as i said i rate Burley as a WW, H2H being a factor for me also

BTW i hope this isnt a stupid question but who is that in ur avvy?

Comment

I was waiting for your comment on Napoles

I love Napoles I think he's a great fighter and great to watch but I personally feel he's a little overrated.

Not hugely. Just in terms of being a Top 3-5 WW. I don't see that, personally.

As you see Charley Burley isn't in my list but a fighter of his calibur and in regards to his optimal weight I just think there has to be an argument.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
          Once u get to the level of greatness these fella's operate at then its almost just down to personal preference, real hard to split them. But as i said i rate Burley as a WW, H2H being a factor for me also

But there's no footage of him at WW to make a good H2H analysis.

It's Angelos Epithemiou / Renton Skinner

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post

I have no idea who it is but I was watching "Soccer AM best bits" (for some reason) the other day and he was on it.

Think he's some sort of Comedian.

Comment

But there's no footage of him at WW to make a good H2H analysis.

It's Angelos Epithemiou / Renton Skinner
              I think it's one of those 'safe to say he was pretty ****ing amazing" moments.

I.e Robinson at WW.

Despite the lack of footage of his WW career it's safe to say by the footage we do have of him that he'll be pretty incredible in his prime.

You know what I mean?

Comment

I have no idea who it is but I was watching "Soccer AM best bits" (for some reason) the other day and he was on it.

Think he's some sort of Comedian.
                He's known mainly from Shooting Stars but he's gonna get his own show starting on bbc and he's brought a dvd out just recently

I think it's one of those 'safe to say he was pretty ****ing amazing" moments.

I.e Robinson at WW.

Despite the lack of footage of his WW career it's safe to say by the footage we do have of him that he'll be pretty incredible in his prime.

You know what I mean?
                Nope.

Too make an accurate H2H analysis don't you need to know the boxer's strengths and weaknesses, how he deal with different styles, was he fast, physically strong, stamina, what was his defense and offense like etc etc etc, articles and resume help make an idea of all these things and how good he was but it's still not enough to make it accurate.
                E.g if we put him prime for prime against Gavilan ultimately we'd have no idea how it would go down.
                There's quite a bit of Robinson footage at Welter and I'd like more then one of Burley's fights before making him some super power in the H2H department which he 'potentially' could be.

I was waiting for your comment on Napoles

I love Napoles I think he's a great fighter and great to watch but I personally feel he's a little overrated.

Not hugely. Just in terms of being a Top 3-5 WW. I don't see that, personally.
                No comment, have a bias for Napoles and I'd rather not start debating on him .
                Last edited by NChristo; 11-30-2011, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Nope.

Too make an accurate H2H analysis don't you need to know the boxer's strengths and weaknesses, how he deal with different styles, was he fast, physically strong, stamina, what was his defense and offense like etc etc etc, articles and resume help make an idea of all these things and how good he was but it's still not enough to make it accurate.
                  E.g if we put him prime for prime against Gavilan ultimately we'd have no idea how it would go down.
                  There's quite a bit of Robinson footage at Welter and I'd like more then one of Burley's fights before making him some super power in the H2H department which he 'potentially' could be.
                  Then we see things a little differently in that regard.

No comment, have a bias for Napoles and I'd rather not start debating on him .
                  I didn't even see that last notion until the reply.

I understand. I'd be the same in a similar situation.

I'd say he has an argument for #5. No higher, IMO.

Unless someone were to base their ranking heavily on H2H and pure skills and ability. Then he's definitely Top 5, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                  X