Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many other amateurs here don't lift weights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many other amateurs here don't lift weights?

It seems like everyone here is training with weights nowadays. Personally, I have never experimented with weights; very few guys in my gym use them (there are no weights in my gym so the guys that use them use them at home or in weight lifting gyms.) Are there any other guys like me who compete and never mess around with weights?

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
    It seems like everyone here is training with weights nowadays. Personally, I have never experimented with weights; very few guys in my gym use them (there are no weights in my gym so the guys that use them use them at home or in weight lifting gyms.) Are there any other guys like me who compete and never mess around with weights?
    i have some 20pound dumbells in my house and sometimes i lift them i don't see whats seems to be the problem

Comment

Never lifted weights in my life. Here's a shot of me when I was about 13 years old and at 112.

Comment

Originally posted by Domey View Post
        Never lifted weights in my life. Here's a shot of me when I was about 13 years old and at 112.
        You looked great and ripped in that picture... was this only from boxing workouts (pads, punching bag, shadow boxing, doube-end bag) ??

Comment

I've gained around 10lbs of muscle in the almost 2.5 years I've been boxing and I've never lifted weights.

Comment

Originally posted by questionare View Post
            You looked great and ripped in that picture... was this only from boxing workouts (pads, punching bag, shadow boxing, doube-end bag) ??
            Yes, nothing other then a good solid boxing work out. I do a lot of neck exercises as well. I have been fighting since I was around 7-8 years old.

I haven't been training in a year due to a hand injury(Thanks Ross Enamait, John Scully, Mickey Ward, and Dr. Steven Margles for all your help) so I have gained some weight, but that will fall off within weeks of training. I fight at 126 now days but I am currently 139.

Comment

Never lifted weights, unless you count lightweights while shadow-boxing to increase endurance and speed.

Comment

id say the vast majority dont.

Comment

many many athletes over history have been great despite their training rather than b/c of it. you dont need any one training method to be successful, but that in no way means it scientifically wont make you faster and stronger. lets say fighter A only does body weight workouts along with boxing/running, and fighter B does weights along with everything else. now fighter A may very well go onto become a far better fighter than B. does this mean he wouldnt have benefitted from weights? no it just means he possibly could have been even better.

Comment

Originally posted by sammiza567 View Post
                    many many athletes over history have been great despite their training rather than b/c of it. you dont need any one training method to be successful, but that in no way means it scientifically wont make you faster and stronger. lets say fighter A only does body weight workouts along with boxing/running, and fighter B does weights along with everything else. now fighter A may very well go onto become a far better fighter than B. does this mean he wouldnt have benefitted from weights? no it just means he possibly could have been even better.
                    while it means he could have possiably been better it also means that weights are possibly worthless.

just about as worthless as your argument of weights appear to be bad but that just might mean they could possibly make you better.

say fighter a does 5 hours of training and fighter b does 5 hours of training. say fighter a does running body weight work outs and boxing say fighter b does all that and an hour of weights.

fighter b is missing out on 1 hour a day 5 hours a week and about 50 hours of boxing specific training every 2 months of pre bout training period.

sooo yeah to replace 50 hours of boxing with 50 hours in the gym lifting heavy weights training your body to do non boxing related compound movements while you exercise and build mass on a plethora of non boxing related muscles scientifically wont make you faster stronger or hit harder in the sport of boxing.
                    Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 10-04-2010, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X