No announcement yet.

First day in the gym?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day in the gym?

I am joining a gym after the summer and was just wondering what they made you guys do when you first joined your gyms? I am going to train throughout the summer so when I turn up I can hopefully make at least a little impression to the people there.
    All comments appreciated.

I was 12 or 13 and was put in to spar with the junior state champion who was probably was taking it easy but smashed me in the guts severely winding me. The coach probably wanted to test me but I kept going back after that.

So maybe get one of your friends to put on some gloves and repeatedly hit you so you know what boxing is like lol

Comment

Already done that haha.

Comment

well then I suggest you just get seriously fit, lots of running, push-ups, skipping, bag work if you have one. No-one will expect you to be able to move and punch very well but if you can keep up with the training and cardio thats a good first day. Buy some bandages as well if you havent already and learn how to wrap your hands. Good luck

Comment

What will make a good first impression other than blazing speed or horrifying power (which takes years to develop and is greatly determined by genetics) is great stamina, its also the easiest to increase initially. You probably wont be allowed to spar until they know you wont gas out immediately. Start running (30 mins at a time at least) and doing anaerobic conditioning, start out slow and keep adding more days of both as you feel like you can handle more without burning yourself out.

Do pushups, pullups, squats, lunges, handstand pushups, and calf raises to increase your strength and muscular endurance, do them as often as you like but allow for good rest since your conditioning usually involves these movements as well. Doing abdominals 3-4 times a week is a good idea

Rosstraining.com has great conditioning routines for fighters
          Crossfit.com is solid to but is not geared for fighters specifically, still good tho

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I do not want to sound big headed or anything but I am quite fit already because I play football, I will still train throughout the summer on my conditioning but is there any things I can do to work on my technique etc. I have recently been watching a lot of fights which is helping.

Comment

its hard to make an impression with "skills" the first time you go to a gym, even if you are fit impressing an experienced boxing coach will be hard.

Most good coaches will be really happy if you just dont complain and put your best effort, if they ask you to spar, spar, if they tell you 100 push ups, you do it, just dont complain and give your best, and you will see a smile on your trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by ..David.. View Post
                its hard to make an impression with "skills" the first time you go to a gym, even if you are fit impressing an experienced boxing coach will be hard.

Most good coaches will be really happy if you just dont complain and put your best effort, if they ask you to spar, spar, if they tell you 100 push ups, you do it, just dont complain and give your best, and you will see a smile on your trainer.
                belive me, football comes no where near the fitness required for boxing, boxing sessions are like you hardest football sessions but 5 times harder lol,

you wont make any impression when your first turn up, you need to learn on how to properly box the right way which takes years of practice, you need to perfec tyour jab and all your technique, footwork, skipping diffrent combos ect......trying to learn b4 you go to the boxing gym cud be a bad idea as you devolp bad habits that you wont even notice,

if i were you, i wqud, stick to fitness, (pushups, sit ups, ect..) skipping and shadow boxiing, iw ouldnt ge ton the bag because you may think you are doing everything corectly but after like a few months of going to the boxing gym you will realise how bad you were b4

Comment

i am guessing you where trying to quote karlos. Because i don't play football and i do train in a gym hahahaha and as you say i don t think you should be training by yourself before going to a gym , you go to a gym to learn thats what its all about. thats why i gave the advice that i gave

Comment

/

yeah, sorry i ment to quote karlos

Comment

Working...
                    X