No announcement yet.

Jeff Fenech's ATG status?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Fenech's ATG status?

Where would you place him in the ATG perspective?? Top 100? Top 150? I mean p4p, not just as a BW, SBW or FW. Or is he worthy to be called ATG?

Don't know too much about him, seen the Nelson fights + a few others and I though he won the first one, very good fighter as far as I know, don't know enough to answer your question, always thought he had underrated punching power, I'm sure Benny with a give a full answer if he sees this.

Comment

Fenech was a tough guy, a good fighter but honestly, I think he was somewhat of a media creation, and by media I mean the magazines of the time (KO) that rated him very high pound for pound and promoted him like the next ATG fighter you never really heard of. So, Fenech ATG? No. ATG from Australia? Sure. Maybe even #1 on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by fitefanSHO View Post
        Fenech was a tough guy, a good fighter but honestly, I think he was somewhat of a media creation, and by media I mean the magazines of the time (KO) that rated him very high pound for pound and promoted him like the next ATG fighter you never really heard of. So, Fenech ATG? No. ATG from Australia? Sure. Maybe even #1 on that list.
        how is he not an ATG on the word scale? He should have a win over Azumah Nelson, making him successful over 4 weight classes. and Azumah Nelson is an ATG fighter himself.

he also has wins over HOF Daniel Zaragoza, IBF champ Shingaki, Coffee, WBC champ Samart Payakaroon(Best in the division), future bantamweight champ Greg Richardson, HOF Carlos Zarate(old), Callejas, future WBC featherweight champ Marcos Villasana, and Mario Martinez.

he was an overwhelming force at his best.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
          how is he not an ATG on the word scale? He should have a win over Azumah Nelson, making him successful over 4 weight classes. and Azumah Nelson is an ATG fighter himself.

he also has wins over HOF Daniel Zaragoza, IBF champ Shingaki, Coffee, WBC champ Samart Payakaroon(Best in the division), future bantamweight champ Greg Richardson, HOF Carlos Zarate(old), Callejas, future WBC featherweight champ Marcos Villasana, and Mario Martinez.

he was an overwhelming force at his best.
          Don't forget Steve McCrory, the brother of Milton. He was a decent fighter too. Just saw Fenech-Nelson I btw, had it scored 118-110 for Jeff. UNBELIEVABLE robbery!There was some idiot Pinoy judge that scored it 116-112 for Azumah, otherwise Jeff woulda won it.
          Last edited by Pastrano; 04-05-2011, 04:16 PM.

Comment

The problem is that Fenech then got annihilated in the rematch w/ Nelson and in his next fight after that he was KO'd by the featherfisted Calvin Grove. Those losses affect how I think about Fenech as an ATG.

Comment

Originally posted by fitefanSHO View Post
              The problem is that Fenech then got annihilated in the rematch w/ Nelson and in his next fight after that he was KO'd by the featherfisted Calvin Grove. Those losses affect how I think about Fenech as an ATG.
              He was on the slide then. Not sure what kinda problems he had, but he def had problems. And Grove wasn't really featherfisted, just not a puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                He was on the slide then. Not sure what kinda problems he had, but he def had problems. And Grove wasn't really featherfisted, just not a puncher.
                Then how do you come up with he was "on the slide" with nothing to back it? Other than he lost the fights? You can't use that as an excuse every time a fighter loses. Especially in the case of the Nelson rematch which happened only 9 months later.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  Then how do you come up with he was "on the slide" with nothing to back it? Other than he lost the fights? You can't use that as an excuse every time a fighter loses. Especially in the case of the Nelson rematch which happened only 9 months later.
                  Exactly. He lost those fights during his prime.

The KO loss to Philip Holiday, that was during his "slide"

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                    And Grove wasn't really featherfisted, just not a puncher.
                    Grove had 18 KO's in 59 fights (49 wins)

The man was featherfisted.

Comment

Working...
                    X