No announcement yet.

Failing to Impress in the Tune-up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failing to Impress in the Tune-up

What's up with all these guys failing to impress in their "tune-up" (for lack of a better term) fight before they try and negotiate a fight with floyd?

Berto loses to Ortiz. Sergio struggles to a beat a journeyman. Manny wins a close decision as a 9-1 favorite. Khan looks like crap and loses (even though I thought he won, he still underperformed).

How about in 2012 all these guys who are in line to fight floyd stop talking about it. Don't answer any questions about him. Just concentrate on your opponent, beat his ass clearly, create a buzz, and worry about floyd afterwards.

Fighters need not worry. Floyd likes to gamble, throw money, and has huge legal fees. Not to mention the IRS bills. He's going to need to fight to make some money. He'll be there.

It just goes to show just how different of a cloth that Floyd is cut from. These guys get a nice 4 year run and then you see the inevitable struggles and fall offs as the level of competition "rises". Floyd has been fighting championship fights since the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
      What's up with all these guys failing to impress in their "tune-up" (for lack of a better term) fight before they try and negotiate a fight with floyd?

Berto loses to Ortiz. Sergio struggles to a beat a journeyman. Manny wins a close decision as a 9-1 favorite. Khan looks like crap and loses (even though I thought he won, he still underperformed).

How about in 2012 all these guys who are in line to fight floyd stop talking about it. Don't answer any questions about him. Just concentrate on your opponent, beat his ass clearly, create a buzz, and worry about floyd afterwards.

Fighters need not worry. Floyd likes to gamble, throw money, and has huge legal fees. Not to mention the IRS bills. He's going to need to fight to make some money. He'll be there.
      Although I don't agree with everything you said, what I do find agreement with is fighters needing to focus a lot more on who is put in front of them.

Take a tip from Mayweather, I say. For how long has he preached this following saying:

I never look past the fight that I have in front of me

Comment

Originally posted by Dedication View Post
        Although I don't agree with everything you said, what I do find agreement with is fighters needing to focus a lot more on who is put in front of them.

Take a tip from Mayweather, I say. For how long has he preached this following saying:

I never look past the fight that I have in front of me
        that's a lot easier to do when you only have one opponent every 16 months or so on average, versus guys who are fighting 2-3 times a year.

Comment

Because they are actually fighting? Not every other year

Comment

What Journey man did Sergio fight? If your talking about Barker you better shhhh and watch Barker in his next couple fights..dudes good. To be honest though, if you've follwed boxing for a long time then you will know of countless times when good/great/p4p boxers fall a little short in tune ups. Look at Oscar De La Hoya mayne.

Comment

cause those guys aren't as good as Floyd

meanwhile Floyd stops a close to prime opponent early

Comment

Oh and you can add Linares to your list though, De Marco shouldnt of been a problem for him.

Comment

Originally posted by yuppie View Post
                  Oh and you can add Linares to your list though, De Marco shouldnt of been a problem for him.
                  Linares wanted to fight FLoyd?

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                    Linares wanted to fight FLoyd?
                    Yes, yes he did.

Comment

Working...
                    X