No announcement yet.

Alexis Arguello appreciation thread.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexis Arguello appreciation thread.

Sad news as nicaraguan former boxing champion Alexis Arguello died today.

Arguello was one of my personal favourites. Always a gentleman. Both inside and outside the ring.

Below is a profile from cyberboxingzone:

"Arguello was a devastating puncher and few could escape those paralyzing blows; A very talented fighter, he lost two of his first five fights and then lost only six contests over the next 18 years of actual fighting - and one of these was in his last fight during a comeback attempt following years of absence from the ring; During his career, he won the WBC Lightweight Championship of the World, the WBC Super Featherweight Championship of the World and the WBA Featherweight Championship of the World

Alexis defeated such men as Ruben Olivares, Jim Watt, Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini, Bobby Chacon, Ruben Castillo, Cornelius Boza-Edwards, Jose Luis Ramirez, Royal Kobayashi, Jose Torres, Alfredo Escalera, Rafael "Bazooka" Limon, Godfrey Stevens, Rey Tam, Roberto Elizondo, Andrew Ganigan, James "Bubba" Busceme, Kevin Rooney, Billy Costello, Kid Pascualito, Jose Legra, Art Hafey and Leonel Hernandez

Herb Goldman ranked Arguello as the #1 All-Time Featherweight; Alexis was inducted into the World Boxing Hall of Fame in 1991 and the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1992."

A nice highlight vid:

RIP champ.

What? First time I've heard about it. Last time I read about him he was in good health, having overcame his drug problems, and involved in politics. This comes as a complete surprise to me, an unpleasant one.

May he rest in peace. A great boxer and a great human being.

Last edited by TheGreatA; 07-01-2009, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Such an amazing fighter.

RIP

Comment

A great article about him which I just recently read:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...0040/index.htm

Comment

I guess now, 15 years later, he has done what he contemplated his whole life. Tragic, but it's a decision he chose to make.

Comment

Sad news, one of the all time greats.

RIP champ.

Comment

My favourite Arguello fights............

Ruben Olivares, Rafael "Bazooka" Limon , Alfredo Escalera 1, Jim Watt, Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini, Bobby Chacon.

Pryor fights of coarse.

The Olivares fight is a personal favourite of mine. Olivares was a very good fighter, he schooled Bobby Chacon in their first fight and then knocked him out, he also knocked Chacon out in the rematch to, but Chacon got his revenge in the 3rd fight, which i felt was a closer fight than others thought.

Ruben Castillo gave Salvador Sanchez all he could handle and took him the distance, i felt Sanchez won a very close competitive fight but he did not look good in the fight.

I seem to remember Castillo also giving Arguello trouble with his movement but Arguello managed to catch up with him, i dont think he had the success he was having against Sanchez though, its been a long time since i saw that fight though.

Vilomar Fernandez is one of the guys to have beaten Arguello but that was over 10 rounds and i strongly believe Arguello would of knocked Fernandez, if it had been a 15 round fight because he was coming on very strong at the end of the fight and Fernandez was clearly starting to fade.

Vilomar Fernandez also gave Duran a great fight to, but Duran did not struggle to pin him down like Arguello did. Arguello was on the verge of taking Fernandez out in the rematch, he was hammering him with body shots but he managed to make it to the final bell and lost by decision this time.

Comment

The only successor to the Joe Louis school of boxing, a true legend.

Comment

A great fighter an even greater person. Rest in peace champ. He will never be forgotten.

Comment

A sad day for boxing, Alexis had everything that i like to see in my fighters.

RIP champ - gone but never forgoten.

Comment

Working...
                    X