No announcement yet.

How does one stop smoking?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does one stop smoking?

Smoking is hard to get over.How does someone stop smoking for good?

Willpower!,at the end of the day u just have to really want to stop,for me it was vanity and fitness that made me want to stop,i cut down gradually tho,i didnt go cold turkey,used to smoke about 15 a day atleast,the hardest smoke to give up was having a ciggeratte waiting for the bus after work,that was my favourite time to smoke.
    IceTrayDaGang IceTrayDaGang likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by gains40 View Post
      Smoking is hard to get over.How does someone stop smoking for good?
      I'm in the same boat. Quit once for almost 10 years had one cigarette and got readdicted.

Comment

Cold turkey.............
        Zaroku Zaroku likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
          I'm in the same boat. Quit once for almost 10 years had one cigarette and got readdicted.
          Sorry to hear that TonyGe. Back in the day in San Francisco, while attending grad school no less... My wife and I were wild. Every drug you can think of we did, and some, on the regular. I classifed our use into two categories: There was stupid use... things like smoking, heroine, cocaine, speed... and then there was drugs that were part of a greater social experience for us. MDMA, Ecstacy (I had a chemist friend who made special batches for us) Mushrooms (my spiritual guide! lol) LSd, etc... Hash and eating speed could be either or... sometimes we had some real nice social outings.

We never did any of these to a point where we were addicted but I had a fellow friend, tripper, who had worked for years in addiction stuff. I also had some experience as a Psych worker on an acute unit, where we often recieved people who were addicts...

My friend made the point that ALL these drugs, despite being simple, follow a similar mechanism of addiction. Interesting enough, someone else in the field also told me that pot is the worse drug to stop because unlike most drugs it attaches to more types of brain and nerve cells... So again, in reality the severity of a drug and it's pull was not necessarily how enticing it is. The mechanism for addiction is all the same.

With that said I would encourage you to not lose hope, not assume that being addicted to any drug is acceptable, and to sit down and break down the system of how your addiction works. The only drug I ever had to withdraw from was for an injury and I gave an account of the process. It can be brutal...

Good luck!
          Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
            Cold turkey.............
            In my humble opinion, when one can... this is the way to go. Unfortunately some drugs don't allow for this.
            Zaroku Zaroku likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
              Same for me. Stopped for 15 years but got hooked again 3 years ago. I have now stopped for 4 weeks.

Allan Carr's book although old really helped me the first time and now.

Comment

Simply quit.

Its either you like to smoke or not...

==

You are the master not the cigarette... I smoke when surrounded by smokers LOL...

Comment

Keeping a 24 of gatorade in the trunk of your car can help.

Comment

Willpower. Stop thinking about them and exercise your mind. Stay busy & stop buying into stuff like ''you'll always end up back on them'' & you'll crave harder typically around certain a day, weeks, months period that is just tripe put out by cigarette companies.

Just stop making excuses and quit. Once you've quit for a while you'll eventually catch a whiff of a cigarette as someone passes you by when you're over it and you'll find the smell vile and question a lot of things.
                    ''How was I ever addicted to them?'', ''Err is that really how bad I smelled?''. Trust me if that ain't a big enough incentive to not end up back on them IDK what is.

Another huge thing and one of the main things I noticed when I quit was my house had way less dust.

Comment

Working...
                    X