Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family behind OxyContin maker engineered opioid crisis, Massachusetts AG says

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family behind OxyContin maker engineered opioid crisis, Massachusetts AG says

The Massachusetts attorney general is targeting Purdue Pharma and eight members of the Sackler family who own the company, alleging in a lawsuit they are "personally responsible" for deceptively selling OxyContin.

The attorney general, Maura Healey, sat down with "CBS This Morning." She alleges the Sackler family hired "hundreds of workers to carry out their wishes" – pushing doctors to get "more patients on opioids, at higher doses, for longer, than ever before" all while paying "themselves billions of dollars."

In her lawsuit, Healey names eight members of the family that own Purdue Pharma, alleging they "micromanaged" a "deceptive sales campaign." In the conclusion to the complaint, Healey said the Sackler family used the power at their disposal to engineer an opioid crisis. Almost 400,000 people died from opioid overdoses between 1999 and 2017, according to the CDC.

Healey said this is the most complete picture to date of how the opioid crisis began, and why the Sackler family itself should be held accountable. "They don't want to accept blame for this. They blame doctors, they blame prescribers and worst of all, they blame patients," Healey said.

Purdue Pharma called the accusations "a rush to vilify" the drugmaker. There's a lot in the lawsuit that's still redacted, and lawyers for Purdue plan to argue on Friday that it should stay that way.

Healey said Purdue Pharma and the Sackler family are one and the same.

In one alleged instance, then-president Richard Sackler devised what Healey describes as Sackler's "solution to the overwhelming evidence of overdose and death," writing in a confidential email, "we have to hammer on the abusers in every way possible. They are the culprits and the problem."

In a statement, Purdue Pharma said the lawsuit "distorts critical facts" and "cherry-picked from among tens of millions of emails and other business documents."

To that, Healey said, "If Purdue thinks we're cherry picking, I invite them to produce all of their documents and let the public judge for itself."

CBS News reached out to the members of the Sackler family named in the complaint, as well as their lawyer. Three declined comment through a press representative and we never heard back from the rest. But this is a family that rarely addresses its connection to the company that made it rich.

Jonathan Burke, a former addict, suggested Sackler take a dose of his own medicine. "I would personally tell him to take two a day for two weeks and see how he ends up," Burke said.

Burke said his battle with addiction began 11 years ago, with a dirt bike accident and a two-month prescription of OxyContin. Just two weeks later, he was hooked.

"I'll be 29 on Friday and didn't think I'd make it to 25, to be honest," Burke said. "The way that your brain becomes re-hardwired after an addiction is just absolutely insane."

Burke later turned to illegal drugs and ended up stealing to fund his habit. "It literally damaged every relationship with every family member, friend, person I acquired in my life," he said.

Burke's home state of Massachusetts is one of 36 states now suing Purdue Pharma, accusing the company of downplaying the dangers of OxyContin. In a 2007 federal settlement, the company admitted to falsely selling the drug as "less addictive" than rival products. The company paid $630 million in fines.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/purdue-...sis-oxycontin/

Respect for someone finally going after the corporate pharma industry.

Comment

I’m actually behind this 100%. Fcuk them and all of big pharma.

Comment

Pharmageddon.

Comment

I hope these cocksuckers get taken to the cleaners.

Rich *****s abusing their wealth and power at the expense of the rest of us. That's the story of our times.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

Rich *****s abusing their wealth and power at the expense of the rest of us. That's the story of our times.
            Yup. You can buy all the alcohol you want and get addictive pain killers to ease pain instead of treat the problem. But God forbid you have a bag of Marijuana that's never killed anyone.

Comment

Meanwhile harmless weed is vilified. every person in jail for weed crimes should be released and given a check to make up for lost time. fckn bastards.

Comment

Make it all legal! What you put in your body is your business. People make choices and should be free to do so. No one forces anyone to do anything they don't want to.

I was on this **** when I had back surgery for two months. I didn't even finish all of them. I had a buddy offer me 40.00 a pill for them. I was like wtf! People really pay that? I wouldnt pay anything for them. I also took them and didn't chop them up and snort them. Maybe that's why I didn't get hooked I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by Illmatic94 View Post
                  Meanwhile harmless weed is vilified. every person in jail for weed crimes should be released and given a check to make up for lost time. fckn bastards.
                  Yeah that's pretty unreal. Living in NV and Cali I forget sometimes that it's not legal in it her places.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
                    Respect for someone finally going after the corporate pharma industry.
                    Originally posted by krazyn8tive View Post
                    I’m actually behind this 100%. Fcuk them and all of big pharma.
                    Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

Originally posted by $Bullsfam$ View Post
                    Yup. You can buy all the alcohol you want and get addictive pain killers to ease pain instead of treat the problem. But God forbid you have a bag of Marijuana that's never killed anyone.
                    Originally posted by Illmatic94 View Post
                    The Sacklers and their company donated to a wide range of candidates, including Democrats, Republicans and independents, incumbents and challengers, presidential contenders and a variety of organizations, TheDCNF found. And just over one-third of the money went to only five recipients.
                    Former Sen. Joe Lieberman took the most funding from the Sacklers and Purdue and accepted more than $220,000

Former Sen. Chris Dodd — another Connecticut Democrat — took the second most from the Sacklers and Purdue, raking in more than $85,000

The Sacklers and Purdue gave former Republican Rep. Christopher Shays, who represented the district where Purdue is headquartered, the third-most funding with nearly $84,000,

Colorado Democratic Sen. Michael Bennet took the fourth most, and was the biggest recipient among the legislators currently serving with $54,000 in contributions.

Rep. Jim Himes of Connecticut — the Democrat who replaced Shays — took more than $35,000 from the Sacklers and Purdue

The Sacklers and Purdue also gave $245,200 to the Republican National Committee — more than any other recipient, TheDCNF found. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s super PAC created during the 2012 presidential election cycle, Restore Our Future, and the National Republican Senatorial Committee took the fourth and fifth most among political organizations and received $100,000 and $52,000, respectively.

by the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, which took more than $109,000.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, for example, received more than $37,000 from the OxyContin titans for her first senatorial race and both presidential races, according to TheDCNF’s analysis.

Former President Barack Obama, another former Senate HELP committee member who also served on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs committee, received more than $19,000 for his presidential runs.

Others include Romney, who took nearly $34,000 and Arizona Sen. John McCain, a Republican who’s headed several Senate committees and took nearly $12,000. Romney recently announced his run to replace Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch, a Republican who received $360,000 from the pharmaceutical industry
                    https://dailycaller.com/2018/03/14/a...ackler-family/

They had all angles covered. They bought almost everyone who mattered with that dirty money.

Y'all system is hella rigged.

But the best thing for Sacklers is that they don't have to cover the medical costs of those damn junkies.

Well played, Sacklers. They are all for capitalism with no checks and balances attached.

Comment

Working...
                    X