• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing fat, through weight lifting?

Does lifting weights, burn fat, energy?

Originally posted by mickeyb View Post
    Does lifting weights, burn fat, energy?
    Everyday of the week.....it burns a lot of fat....muscle itself burns fat, the more you have the more you burn....it also boosts your testosterone levels significantly, ultimately giving you a hell of a lot more energy.....

Comment

lifting as well as cardio will give the best results. If your lifting to burn fat as your goal, be intense no ****ing around.

Comment

Originally posted by D.I.E.S.E.L View Post
        lifting as well as cardio will give the best results. If your lifting to burn fat as your goal, be intense no ****ing around.
        Nah, i'm a boxer. But my trainer has decided to add strength training to the regime.

I was just wondering if it would burn away flabby soft areas.

Cool.

Comment

Nah, i'm a boxer. But my trainer has decided to add strength training to the regime.

I was just wondering if it would burn away flabby soft areas.

Cool.
          if you work on those areas, if your talking about lovehandles, then it should help burn fat in that area

Comment

Absolutely, especially coupled with a good diet yoou will lose fat. Moreover exercises like pullups/squats/deadlifts/benchpress speed up your metabolism by around 15%

Comment

Cool. Well how often should i be doing these things.

I train on the bags, ropes, spar and technique for around 2-3 hours Monday, Tues, Wed and Thurs. (all the days that the gym is open.) I run every day but the weekend.

But the hours are getting extended. So i'm thinking, Coming in every day, but no cardio on a wednesday, and just doing weights. Then do a small circuit on the weights on a friday night.

Would that be enough your reckon? I'm very stocky, muscular and short for my weight because of it. (i've checked my body fat and its apparently "good".)

So..two nights is enough to improve my strength and perhaps SEE a physical difference?

Comment

Cool. Well how often should i be doing these things.

I train on the bags, ropes, spar and technique for around 2-3 hours Monday, Tues, Wed and Thurs. (all the days that the gym is open.) I run every day but the weekend.

But the hours are getting extended. So i'm thinking, Coming in every day, but no cardio on a wednesday, and just doing weights. Then do a small circuit on the weights on a friday night.

Would that be enough your reckon? I'm very stocky, muscular and short for my weight because of it. (i've checked my body fat and its apparently "good".)

So..two nights is enough to improve my strength and perhaps SEE a physical difference?
                It's hard to say with out knowing everything about you, but if you want to burn fat then I'd say do more cardio work, running and skipping etc. Especially if you're a boxer as not only will the cardio burn fat but will also improve your stanima on your feet. Weight lifting burns fat but in my opinion it isn't the most efficient or effective way of burning fat if that is your sole desire. But if you want to have strong durable muscles then weight lifting and body weight exercises are needed. I say get a balance between the two but do more cardio if you want to burn fatter quicker.

Comment

doing weights burn alot of fat prob not much as cardio work but still continues to long after your workout because the muscle fibres continue to heal themselves. With cardio you're only burning cals for the time you're actually working out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ell View Post
                    It's hard to say with out knowing everything about you, but if you want to burn fat then I'd say do more cardio work, running and skipping etc. Especially if you're a boxer as not only will the cardio burn fat but will also improve your stanima on your feet. Weight lifting burns fat but in my opinion it isn't the most efficient or effective way of burning fat if that is your sole desire. But if you want to have strong durable muscles then weight lifting and body weight exercises are needed. I say get a balance between the two but do more cardio if you want to burn fatter quicker.
                    Don't worry, i train very intensly. I'm just wondering if i'm still burning the calories when i'm on the weights - because its perhaps cutting into my cardio-workout time by about 20 minutes now.

Originally posted by oovavu View Post
                    doing weights burn alot of fat prob not much as cardio work but still continues to long after your workout because the muscle fibres continue to heal themselves. With cardio you're only burning cals for the time you're actually working out.
                    Nice one. All news to me.

Appreciate the advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X