Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Teddy Atlas and Floyd Mayweather Sr Trained Hatton and Bradley against Pacquiao

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Teddy Atlas and Floyd Mayweather Sr Trained Hatton and Bradley against Pacquiao

They both did focus mitts from an orthodox stance when preparing their fighters against Pacquiao. What do you think of that?

Nobody cares to discuss how two of the most renowned trainers train their fighters from an orthodox stance to fight the best southpaw in the world. Is it that they can't hold mitts from a southpaw stance? Is it that they are too arrogant? I mean their fighters were clueless as far as how to attack and defend.

Comment

people are busy talking about if Pac smoked crack or PCP! TMzscene

Comment

Mits just help the trainer observe your form and reflexes, among other things. Give you direct feedback. They are not simulating an opponent. That's sparring.
        They're world-class trainers and they know a bit about boxing. More than anyone on NSB.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Mits just help the trainer observe your form and reflexes, among other things. Give you direct feedback. They are not simulating an opponent. That's sparring.
          They're world-class trainers and they know a bit about boxing. More than anyone on NSB.
          They don't have to simulate an opponent, they just have to do mitt work from a southpaw stance because the punches are coming from different angles. The offense and defense is different when you're fighting southpaws so the least a trainer can do that is prepare you to fight a southpaw not an orthodox fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
            They don't have to simulate an opponent, they just have to do mitt work from a southpaw stance because the punches are coming from different angles. The offense and defense is different when you're fighting southpaws so the least a trainer can do that is prepare you to fight a southpaw not an orthodox fighter.
            I get what you're thinking and why. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything, though I think it's pointless because the mitts don't actually represent the dynamics of an opponent. If the trainer held them right in front of his face and stomach the entire time, sure. But, they go from sharp left to sharp right and all sorts of odd places that don't relate to the trainer's footwork so that orthodox/southpaw dynamic just isn't there. I'm certain they drilled combos that relate to a southpaw though. If they neglected that it would be a huge mistake.

Comment

I get what you're thinking and why. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything, though I think it's pointless because the mitts don't actually represent the dynamics of an opponent. If the trainer held them right in front of his face and stomach the entire time, sure. But, they go from sharp left to sharp right and all sorts of odd places that don't relate to the trainer's footwork so that orthodox/southpaw dynamic just isn't there. I'm certain they drilled combos that relate to a southpaw though. If they neglected that it would be a huge mistake.
              Good coaches train orthodox fighters from orthodox stance and southpaw fighters from southpaw stance. However, in the U.S. especially most trainers train southpaws from an orthodox stance. So often times you would see two southpaws fighting each other and it looks ugly and the commentators keep saying that a southpaw fighting a southpaw is very difficult. Not really, you go across the world and there are plenty of southpaws coming from Asia, Europe, Latin America and they have no problem fighting other southpaws and looking good Why,? It might be due to the fact that their trainers hold the mitts from a southpaw stance.

Comment

truth................

Comment

Mitts are simply for accuracy,speed and reflex training, that is the only purpose of mitt training.

Comment

Originally posted by don larryx View Post
                    Mitts are simply for accuracy,speed and reflex training, that is the only purpose of mitt training.
                    Not really

Comment

Working...
                    X