No announcement yet.

wrist pain bag/sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrist pain bag/sparring

was wondering if anyone else experienced this. when im training on the bag and throwing bunches of power shots for 8 rounds+ i dont have any wrist pain or soreness. the last couple of times i sparred my wrists would hurt for days as if they were sprained or bruised or something. like if i were to have my arm out palm up and have say a 5lb dumbbell on my hand id feel a pinch/pain/soreness on the side closer to my body around the groove area. and i know for sure i dont land close to the amount im throwing at the bag because that bag lacks defense. any input?

ice it, let it heal, throw hooks without a bent wrist, make sure your hook hits the bag dead on with the forearm. Fist should be vertical and not palm down.

I hurt my wrist one time when I bounced it off my friends forehead full force, took about 4 weeks to heal I thought I had broken it. The key is to make sure the fist is aligned with the forearm, a lot of people curl their wrists in to make the knuckles contact.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
      ice it, let it heal, throw hooks without a bent wrist, make sure your hook hits the bag dead on with the forearm. Fist should be vertical and not palm down.

I hurt my wrist one time when I bounced it off my friends forehead full force, took about 4 weeks to heal I thought I had broken it. The key is to make sure the fist is aligned with the forearm, a lot of people curl their wrists in to make the knuckles contact.
      for the most part i do have good form with my wrists. learned the hard way trying to throw mike tyson haymakers at the bag before i had a lot better form especially with my wrists and such. never really hurt myself badly though. dont think it could be the wrist form though. not counting it out but im thinking its something else.

Comment

Like somebody else said, ice it and let it heal... also do you have some hand wraps? Because if you don't you should get some because it helps give you wrist support and then it probably wont bend when landing a punch on a bag or in sparring, they are also great to protect you knuckles (you obviously already know this).

So yeah, let it heal as that guy said... and then if you haven't got any hand wraps I would truly recommend you getting them because it will be extremely beneficial in the future.

Comment

yup got hand wraps always use'em. and not the ****ty everlast ones from the sports store. the actual long ones that actually protect your hand/wrist when your wrap them correctly
          ps on my bag video yeah i wasnt using them LOL but like i said my 14oz gloevs hug my hand and wrist a lot better then my other gloves 16oz twins that i use for sparring and i always always wrap when i spar and majority of when i hit the bag. just made the vid really fast heh.
          Last edited by g0tcha; 02-17-2009, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by g0tcha View Post
            yup got hand wraps always use'em. and not the ****ty everlast ones from the sports store. the actual long ones that actually protect your hand/wrist when your wrap them correctly
            I am unsure then to be honest, maybe it is the way you are hitting the bag or your sparring partner. As the other guy said let it heal... and then my further advice would be to tell your gym trainer/coach about it and ask them if they could shed any light on the subject and give you advice on how to help prevent it.

Hope I helped in some way or another anyway.

Comment

awesome replys thanks for the tips appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by g0tcha View Post
                awesome replys thanks for the tips appreciate it
                what gloves do you use your wraps in?

Comment

i use some crappy 14oz gloves sometimes when i hit the bag from everlast that i got long time ago b4 i was really into boxing but they come in handy now. when i spar i always use my 16oz twins gloves. its when i usually spar but ive used the 16s on the bag for and extended period of time and didnt get the pain. all very wierd.
                  Last edited by g0tcha; 02-17-2009, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X