Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBS Chairman Doesn't Approve of MMA On CBS.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBS Chairman Doesn't Approve of MMA On CBS.

from mmajunkie.com

CBS Chairman Sumner Redstone doesn't support his network's decision to air mixed martial arts, largely because he doesn't "like the sport" and thinks that it's not "socially responsible" for CBS to air the fights on free TV.

Sumner's comments, which appeared Wednesday in The Hollywood Reporter, have caused a stir in MMA circles.

The harsh critique comes just four weeks before CBS and EliteXC team up for "EliteXC: PRIMETIME," the first installment of the "Saturday Night Fights" series. The debut May 31 event -- the first of four that will air over the next 12 months -- will be the first-ever live MMA event to appear on major U.S. network television.

The decision to air MMA on CBS ultimately was made by CBS President and Chief Executive Officer Les Moonves. He didn't consult with Sumner before reaching the deal with EliteXC, which was announced in early March.

"Les usually asks my opinion," Sumner said. "Most of the time, he does the right thing."

Sumner made the comments during a panel discussion on the sports industry at the Milken Institute Global Conference in Los Angeles.

Another interesting bit coming out of the panel was a comment from Ed Goren, President of FOX Sports. When asked about a potential deal with the UFC, he said, "We don't need money that badly."

However, according to MMA Payout, the UFC continues to negotiate with FOX's entertainment division (rather than the sports division, which assures the UFC would retain most of the creative control) and could soon reach a deal to put the No. 1 MMA brand on FOX prime time.

Mark my words after a few shows MMA on CBS will FLOP and be pulled off the air...

Comment

What a douche. He's probably a McCainer.

Comment

I don't think it will stay long on CBS, can't see it being big on cable

Comment

yeah guy sounds like one of em anti mma people.
          i don't think it will last on cbs either, elite xc dont' have the star power 2 last long, even for long time mma fans its hard 2 find a fight 2 b interested in.

Comment

You look at a lot of other organizations on cable and they don't get good ratings either so I don't see anything different with MMA unless they bring in some good fighters and know how to promote them well

Comment

Originally posted by Blair_Wells#32 View Post
              yeah guy sounds like one of em anti mma people.
              i don't think it will last on cbs either, elite xc dont' have the star power 2 last long, even for long time mma fans its hard 2 find a fight 2 b interested in.
              McCaine is the current US presidential candidate and senator who tried to ban MMA and tried to set up legislation to control boxing. It's probably DK in his pocket or some ****.

Comment

Working...
              X