Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is muscles involved in throwing punches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is muscles involved in throwing punches?

Is having lots of muscles help in throwing strong punches?

I know technique is obviously important in throwing good punch like proper shoulder snap and foot work, core movement

But ultimately does having strong or big muscles help in throwing stronger/faster powerful punches?

obviously muscles are involved in all physical movements. but does bigger muscles mean a bigger punch, no.

people have different natural builds, some have the genetics to carry more muscle. like a mike tyson for instance. if you don't have mike tyson genetics (or similar) trying to bulk up excessively will only weaken your punch. just like trying to slim down to a tommy hearns like physique will weaken your punch if you don't have that natural frame.

the best way to develop a good punch is to punch. beat the **** out of the bag, try to hit it as hard as you can. then you will put on the appropriate amount of muscle mass. of course you can do other forms of strength training, but it will have few if any results on your power (at least positive). any time i fell in love with lifting weights and tried to become big i quickly lost the snap on my punches. and i don't mean it simply had less effect against larger opponents. i mean i punched harder when i carried less muscle, not p4p, i just hit plain harder when i was skinnier.

there is a reason people talk about fighters carrying their power as they move up. if more muscle automatically translated into punching power everyone would hit just as hard as they moved up in weight. as we know that's not the case. only fighters with enough power to knock out bigger men (duran, stevenson, toney, hearns), or guys with a big frame who naturally mature and grow out of their previous weight class with age (hearns again, mikey garcia) manage to do so.

best way to hit harder is to shadowbox, get perfect technique and transfer of force. then test your technique on the bag. rinse and repeat until you start to feel your ability to generate power as you torque your hips, push of the ball of your foot etc.
    Last edited by #1Assassin; 02-19-2019, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoldierOfPeace2 View Post

I know technique is obviously important in throwing good punch like proper shoulder snap and foot work, core movement

But ultimately does having strong or big muscles help in throwing stronger/faster powerful punches?
      Obviously.

Of course boxing skills are paramount, but the reason weight divisions exist in boxing is that weight is a proxy for [amount of] muscle mass which in turn is a proxy for strength; and all other things being equal a stronger athlete is a better athlete.

For example, think of the upcoming Spence-Garcia fight. The consensus is that 1) Garcia is the more skilled fighter and 2) Garcia will lose. The reason most people believe Garcia will lose is because Spence is perceived to have a large advantage in strength--more than enough to offset Garcia's advantage in skill.

Comment

[QUOTE=SoldierOfPeace2;19523374]Is having lots of muscles help in throwing strong punches?

But ultimately does having strong or big muscles help in throwing stronger/faster powerful punches?[/QUOTE

If you want power focus on speed and throwing with you palms facing down (Good Form). Get full extension.

Comment

Originally posted by GelfSara View Post
          For example, think of the upcoming Spence-Garcia fight. The consensus is that 1) Garcia is the more skilled fighter and 2) Garcia will lose. The reason most people believe Garcia will lose is because Spence is perceived to have a large advantage in strength--more than enough to offset Garcia's advantage in skill.
          ^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by SoldierOfPeace2 View Post

One name, Bradley the feather fist

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
              One name, Bradley the feather fist
              Lol. Whoa whoa wait a minute, he stopped the almighty Brandon Rios!!!

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
                Lol. Whoa whoa wait a minute, he stopped the almighty Brandon Rios!!!
                Damn right. Even Pacquiao couldnt.

Comment

never met a blown up muscle bound cat who hit hard. boxing is best you find your perfect natural weight, since technique is was decides your punching power - and other natural things

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    Damn right. Even Pacquiao couldnt.
                    Bradley cannot even punch throw a paper sheet

Comment

Working...
                    X