Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Cuba was not under Communist control how different would boxing be?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big paulie View Post
    Teofilio Stevenson was once offered a seven figure sum to defect in the seventies by Don King, he famously said he'd rather have the love of millions of Cubans than millions of dollars. Integrity.
    Imagine if every boxer fought with that mind set
    and love...

Comment

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
      and love...
      Those days are gone bro. Unfortunately, is all about money nowadays and integrity ain't worth ****. Now this might be kinda contradicting but it doesn't mean I disagree with these Cubans leaving our country either.

Comment

Mayweather, Cotto, Martinez, Chavez jr.,
        Hopkins, Trinidad, Oscar, Tyson etc...
        and many more, how different would all these
        boxers careers be...
        I believe boxing would be 10 xs
        more exciting (not that I don't enjoy it now)
        I guess we would never know...

Cuba's Boxing Gold

Boxing, a sport in which two individuals face each other in a square "ring" to do battle with their gloved fists, is said to be a "team sport" in Cuba, and it is the sport in which the island has taken home the most medals. It's not an exaggeration to say that Cubans have dominated international amateur boxing, winning more gold medals in men's competition than anyone else.In the heavyweight division, Cubans have won 7 of the last 9 gold medals issued at the Olympic Games. The other two medals went to the U.S. in 1984 and 1988 (Cuba did not attend the those Games in support of the Soviet bloc boycott). Still, of the 104 total gold medals issued in men's boxing at Olympic tournaments since 1972 (including 1984 & 1988 Games) Cubans have taken home 32 of them (51 total medals).In World Amateur Boxing competitions, Cubans have won 64 of the 152 gold medals issued between 1974 and 2005.
        Didn't Lewis win the gold in 88, he fought for Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
          Those days are gone bro. Unfortunately, is all about money nowadays and integrity ain't worth ****. Now this might be kinda contradicting but it doesn't mean I disagree with these Cubans leaving our country either.
          Theres still an awful lot of Cuban boxers with that mindset who dont defect.
          I'm glad i got to visit Cuba before the yanks get their hands back on it, i've never known people with so little be so happy

Comment

Then their work ethic and motivation won't be the same and they'll probably won't produce as much boxers as they do under Communist control.

Comment

it would be thriving IMO with decent fighters due to the amount of good fighters it produces but unfortunately due to the banning of boxing professionally its not allowed even if big amounts of champions were not produced atleast there would be contendors and fresh prospects coming in..

Comment

Originally posted by big paulie View Post
                Theres still an awful lot of Cuban boxers with that mindset who dont defect.
                I'm glad i got to visit Cuba before the yanks get their hands back on it, i've never known people with so little be so happy
                Great place yet horrible at the same time... if you lived there like I did. But we find ways to manage tho.

Comment

Originally posted by EngorgedW/Blood View Post
                  If you change one thing in history, it will dramatically change a lot of other things.

What if Cuba being what it is, is what makes their boxers so good?
                  Well said sir. I never thought of that.

Comment

Communism is a large part of Cuba's success in several sports like boxing and baseball

Its a way out

Comment

and love...
                      Imagine if integrity could be used as currency in the US when its time to buy food or pay your mortgage.

EIther way professional boxing would be better off if you had very talented cuban fighters, especially if they are willing to fight for substantially less money. Of course if they fight the amatuer style, points over KO's, you'd have a number of people complaining aboutthe lack of drama in the ring.

Comment

Working...
                      X