Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the most important physical genetic traits that make an effective boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No question about number 1:
    1) Ability to concentrate and be in the flow for a long period of time under tremendous physical loading

2) workrate and stamina

3) chin

You have to be born with these 3 traits. Hard to teach fighters any of these even though they can be improved upon to a certain degree. very few great fighters lacked any of these.

4) speed

5) reflexes

6) power

these are also hard to teach but are much more trainable than the 1st 3 except for power, which imo is not as important if all or most of the other traits are there.

Comment

Originally posted by SniXSniPe View Post
      I agree with your components, but I would consider adding endurance to that list (even though it can be trained to a certain degree). Some people are just natural freaks in that area, just like in speed and power. There are kids in high school running sub 5:00 for 1600m with no running training, which is extremely impressive and shows a lot of talent. Most guys can't even run a sub 7:00 minute mile with no training (and I'm talking regular fit guys, not super obese ones). For example, German Fernandez ran 4:22 for 1600m as a ****ing freshman in high school. That's god damn talent right there.

it can be trained more than your speed and power, and that is the point.

also, those aren't real endurance runs, dude. go have those kids run a marathon without training. they'll get blown away by an accountant who runs marathons, i don't care how talented they are. that's what i'm talking about.

train that accountant for years and years and he'll never outsprint those kids. they won't punch like mike tyson, either.

sometimes you guys just need to sshhhh hand lsiten to me, i have a very deep undesrtanding of this game, and i had media credentials for years and years.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        it can be trained more than your speed and power, and that is the point.

also, those aren't real endurance runs, dude. go have those kids run a marathon without training. they'll get blown away by an accountant who runs marathons, i don't care how talented they are. that's what i'm talking about.

train that accountant for years and years and he'll never outsprint those kids. they won't punch like mike tyson, either.

sometimes you guys just need to sshhhh hand lsiten to me, i have a very deep undesrtanding of this game, and i had media credentials for years and years.
        Of course it takes training to run a marathon. But you're neglecting the fact there are little kids (like 4 or 5 years old even) who have run marathons (and even further distances). Those high school kids can't run a marathon right off the bat, or maybe they can, but the fact is they will run faster than said accountant with far less training and time. With training, they will not only run the marathon, but they will run it much quicker than said accountant. That's the part where talent kicks in.

If I can throw 500 hard punches a round, and you can only throw 100 before gassing out, and that amount slowly drops per round, while I'm still able to throw close to 500, that obviously makes a big difference in a fight. Endurance is not just training, but also a talent. It can be trained more than speed and power, but that doesn't mean it's not a big important factor. That marathon runnner who trains and has been running for many years for marathon's and still has a person best of 3:30 obviously has far less talent than some of those high school kids who have run below 2:40... and let's be real, the marathon is a RARELY ran event as most coaches do not want their athletes running that far.

At the end of the day, it's more trainable than the others, but still people that posses a huge talent in it make a notable difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Shontae De'marc View Post
          1. Big cawk
          2. Hard body (not soft)
          3. Good, healthy genetics (not inbred)
          4. Great mental health (no 'shoot up school' psychological weakness)
          5. Natural inclination to being slick
          6. Dislike of authority/police etc.
          Big cawk ain't even necessary, Floyd got one of the tiniest *****es in the history of the squared circle and dude went undefeated and made more money than anybody

Comment

Originally posted by SniXSniPe View Post
            Of course it takes training to run a marathon. But you're neglecting the fact there are little kids (like 4 or 5 years old even) who have run marathons (and even further distances). Those high school kids can't run a marathon right off the bat, or maybe they can, but the fact is they will run faster than said accountant with far less training and time. With training, they will not only run the marathon, but they will run it much quicker than said accountant. That's the part where talent kicks in.

If I can throw 500 hard punches a round, and you can only throw 100 before gassing out, and that amount slowly drops per round, while I'm still able to throw close to 500, that obviously makes a big difference in a fight. Endurance is not just training, but also a talent. It can be trained more than speed and power, but that doesn't mean it's not a big important factor. That marathon runnner who trains and has been running for many years for marathon's and still has a person best of 3:30 obviously has far less talent than some of those high school kids who have run below 2:40... and let's be real, the marathon is a RARELY ran event as most coaches do not want their athletes running that far.

At the end of the day, it's more trainable than the others, but still people that posses a huge talent in it make a notable difference.

this is just a strawman, dude. nobody is saying that it is not an important element, or that there isn't talent involved. what i am saying is that it is a hell of a lot less based in genetics than punching power or sprinting speed. you can train for your entire life and never crack an egg. you will be able to run a marathon if you are healthy and you train, human beings are incredible long distnace runners and it is in our DNA to be able condition ourselves to do it. it's not in our DNA to be able to condition ourselves to punch harder, especially staying in a weight class, or sprint significantly faster. it just doesn't work like that. i can train for only a few years and probably run 10X as long as i could now. people run 100 miles at a time! you think i'm gonna punch 10X as hard ? the world record for running without sleep is 350 miles! 350! let that sink in in terms of just how well you can condition your body for endurance and not speed or power.

that is what i am arguing, don't put words in my mouth, or try and dispute that, because you'll be dead f#cking wrong!

Comment

Timing,hunger,footwork,speed and durability

Comment

Timing is an interesting one. There is something innate about good timing. Anyone get hit fook out of a heavy bag

Comment

Working...
                X