Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do referees give the count? Linares took 15 seconds to get up, ref counted to 10.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
    No. When you get hit in the liver like that it’s almost impossible to straighten out if it hurt you badly.

That’s why you saw him go down and then kind of lean back. It looked like pain to me when he got up. Like he thought he was good and then at that moment just wasnt able to gather himself. That’s why it’s so impressive when you see guys survive shots like that.

It’s a horrendous feeling. It’s kind of desperation mode when it happens. You just kind of don’t know how to handle that kind of pain. You almost want to just cry out of frustration, man. It sucks.

That body shot was so perfect. He killed him with it. Linares looked like he was starting to dig into Loma, no way did he quit. Just straightening your legs like that to get up was probably a superhuman effort.

I never question stoppages by body shots like that. Will only goes so far.
    I agree with your post, except for the bolded part.

Linares slowed down badly after the seventh round, he was already running on fumes. In the tenth, he was done, exhausted, with nothing left, and Loma was the one who was starting to dig into him.

I just cannot see on what you are basing that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
      No. When you get hit in the liver like that it’s almost impossible to straighten out if it hurt you badly.

That’s why you saw him go down and then kind of lean back. It looked like pain to me when he got up. Like he thought he was good and then at that moment just wasnt able to gather himself. That’s why it’s so impressive when you see guys survive shots like that.

It’s a horrendous feeling. It’s kind of desperation mode when it happens. You just kind of don’t know how to handle that kind of pain. You almost want to just cry out of frustration, man. It sucks.

That body shot was so perfect. He killed him with it. Linares looked like he was starting to dig into Loma, no way did he quit. Just straightening your legs like that to get up was probably a superhuman effort.

I never question stoppages by body shots like that. Will only goes so far.
      I have an old DVD featuring about a hundred KOs from mostly British contests (“The Perfect Punch”). A few were by bodyshot. Those were among the most painful to watch. You just know a man is in pain when he immediately winces at the blow.

The best bodyblow I ever took was in sparring. It took the air right out of me. And that was nothing. The ones to that little area Linares got caught in are the ones that really bring a man to his knees. Anyone that thinks Jorge had a chance of continuing has no idea. I’d say it’s comparable to getting kicked in the nuts while wearing no cup.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        I have an old DVD featuring about a hundred KOs from mostly British contests (“The Perfect Punch”). A few were by bodyshot. Those were among the most painful to watch. You just know a man is in pain when he immediately winces at the blow.

The best bodyblow I ever took was in sparring. It took the air right out of me. And that was nothing. The ones to that little area Linares got caught in are the ones that really bring a man to his knees. Anyone that thinks Jorge had a chance of continuing has no idea. I’d say it’s comparable to getting kicked in the nuts while wearing no cup.
        I absolutely agree with you, and that statement is totally true... It's the part when Linares started talking **** during the post fight interview, saying he got up and was ready to continue, but the ref made a premature stoppage. That's the bull**** part I cannot digest.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          What I'm saying is, it happens sometimes.
          What you're saying is actually what happens most of the time that I've ever seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
            I absolutely agree with you, and that statement is totally true... It's the part when Linares started talking **** during the post fight interview, saying he got up and was ready to continue, but the ref made a premature stoppage. That's the bull**** part I cannot digest.
            Haha Yeah, I smirked during that part and waved at the TV. Lol Maybe Jorge really did think he could take a few more punches and maybe survive the round, but there’s just no way. He was toast. Those were the words of a defeated champion, directly after being dethroned. And let’s not forget, he was also angling for a rematch. Lol

Comment

It was a long count.

Comment

The ref is supposed to count one count per second. A time keeper is supposed to help him count correctly. A boxer has 10 seconds to stand straight up from the time he hits the canvas. If the ref counts him out in less than ten seconds then the boxer got a fast count. If the ref takes longer than 10 seconds to count a boxer out then that boxer got a long count. The time keeper's job is to help the ref get the count right but sometimes the ref still fuks up. If it took him 15 seconds to count Linares out then he fuked up big time. Buster Douglas got a long count in his fight with Tyson. It took him 14 seconds to get up and he should have been counted out.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
                  I agree with your post, except for the bolded part.

Linares slowed down badly after the seventh round, he was already running on fumes. In the tenth, he was done, exhausted, with nothing left, and Loma was the one who was starting to dig into him.

I just cannot see on what you are basing that statement.
                  I’ve not seen the fight since it aired and maybe didn’t notice Linares gassing but it looked to me that Linares’ punches were starting to have more effect. To the point that the ending sequence of the fight kind of surprised me. I honestly was getting the vibe that Loma was wearing out.

Maybe I was too fixated on Loma and Linares’ work that I didn’t see the signs of Linares anguishing as well. Linares seemed more reserved all night so it’s hard to tell just off memory if that’s how it is (as you say.)

I’d be lying to you if I said I remember it not going the way you say. I’ll give it another watch before bed or tomorrow and keep what you said in mind.

But yeah, I’ve taken a pretty bad one before. Just one of the worst pain experiences ever tbh. Just like a helpless pain. Nothing makes it better. It’s like all you breathe is pain its hard to describe. You’re conscious of not being able to move because of the pain. You want to move but its like your body can’t quite understand over the pain.

I could see how he was able to get up but when it was time to straighten up his upper body it just wasnt ready. That’s what we saw. I dont doubt he WANTED to go, but he just wasn’t able. Because he was conscious it’s gonna be a hard pill for him to swallow.
                  Last edited by NearHypnos; 05-14-2018, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Ref wanted to give the champion a chance to fight on. but Linares wanted to quit. zero protest to the stoppage so all that sht he talked afterwards about not being happy with the stoppage is just a prideful man not wanting to admit to quitting.

I count that as a quit. Period. That's five in a row.

Comment

As far as when the count starts, there is generally an official on the side of the ring who starts the count when they go down. The ref usually takes a moment to separate the fighters or w/e, then looks over to that official to jump into the count (often around 4 seconds in). I don't see that official in this video, but there is most likely one there which is why this ref started at 6.

Also, I think just after he said 9, he looked at the still slumped over Linares and decided he was going to call it just before he officially waved it off and didn't say 10 (or if he did, I didn't hear it).

But yeah, the count was a bit slow, but probably not a lot slower than an average ref.

I remember this issue came up during the Mike Tyson / Buster Douglas post-fight. Buster took about 14ish seconds to get up, but then to the ref's credit he ran the count at an almost identical pace for Tyson afterwards. Based on some videos I saw about this, I think it's actually not uncommon to take 14-15 seconds to get to 10. Whether there should be an official timer or something is worth bringing up.

Comment

Working...
                      X