Am I too old to box?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrandMaster View Post
    There is no such thing as "too old".
    it's too late to to go the olympics ( the IOC says u're too old at 27) but u can have a good amateur career in the masters div and then go pro. if i were u i'd focus on having a later pro career, if u like fighting. keep in mind i am a boxing coach in real life, if u have athletic ability and the mental drive u can learn the basic skills pretty fast. it all depends on how dedicated u are and how much u want it. when i'm training fighters i don't care about their age, it matters more to me how motivated they are.

Comment

Originally posted by danny13 View Post
      I am 32 year old attorney who is really interested in boxing and really dissappointed that I developed the love for it so late in life. I was an excellent athlete when I was younger and could have really excelled in boxing. Is it too late? I am training really hard right now and hope to have my first amateur fight this summer. I do have a trainer and am in really good shape and working hard. What do you guys think? Right now I weigh 170, but I can get down to 152, which is where I would like to fight. I am 5-9.
      All I know is, you got a better chance at 32 than you will at 33. And you will have a better chance at 33 than you will at 34.

The point is, you will never know until you try. You keep waiting around and you'll be 40 years old and it sure as **** will be too late then.

Comment

I am 32 year old attorney who is really interested in boxing and really dissappointed that I developed the love for it so late in life. I was an excellent athlete when I was younger and could have really excelled in boxing. Is it too late? I am training really hard right now and hope to have my first amateur fight this summer. I do have a trainer and am in really good shape and working hard. What do you guys think? Right now I weigh 170, but I can get down to 152, which is where I would like to fight. I am 5-9.
        No your not to old, heavyweight contender ron lyle never started boxing til he was 29 he went on to fight muhammed ali, former commenwealth champion martin rogan never started til he was 30, you still have time

Comment

Your never to old to do anything. There are guys 72 years old, doing Iron Man competitions. So, I dont listen to people saying otherwise.

You just have to be dedicated. Extremely dedicated. Not just going to the gym but possibly sacraficing your job, barely getting by on your bills, losing your family(if you have one) etc etc.

Thats what it take to get into Pro-Boxing at an older age. When your young, you have opportunities and dont have to worry much about getting food on the table and what not. When your older, those luxuries go away. And you really have to go nose to the grindstone.

It's possible to get 10 fights in a year(if your not too hurt after fights). If you go 10-0 in all those fights. It's possible to start getting some real recognition. Once you go 18 fights (hopefully 18-0) you will get title shots. OPBF, IBF type titles shots. And from there where you really want to be (WBC, WBO, WBA blah blah blah). And it literally can be done within 2-3 years but you have to be crazy talented and be able to go undefeated for quite some time, also fighting all over the world.

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
            All I know is, you got a better chance at 32 than you will at 33. And you will have a better chance at 33 than you will at 34.

The point is, you will never know until you try. You keep waiting around and you'll be 40 years old and it sure as **** will be too late then.
            I'm 39 and only took it up aged 36. It's never too late!

Archie Moore was still fighting until he hit 50, and kept training long after he quit fighting professionally. People live longer now and have the chance to live healthier.

For me boxing has become a way of life. I'll never fight pro. I'll probably never fight amateur. But I love backyard boxing and sparring. For me it's more about the journey than a destination.

EDIT: and it gives me a good reason to stay in shape
            Last edited by EzzardFan; 01-13-2010, 01:51 PM.

Comment

No. You're never too old to train, work out or learn. You're just gonna have to put things into perspective. I came in the game a little late myself. I started boxing at 24. It's not too bad, but i wish i had a better head start. The age thing is fcukin wit me a little, but i am still young. So are you. 32 is just starting out in "life" by today's sociological standards. I have a saying: "if you think you're old, you're old. Keep training and keep learning. There are so many aspects to this game as well. There's coaching, writing, promoting, fighting, training, yadda yadda yadda... and you're young enough to get in a couple amatuer fights under your belt, but you're not young enough to become a world champion.

To answer your question, no you're not too old to start boxing. But if you're gonna do it, don't do it half ass. That's how people get hurt. You know, i might have met you. You're from the bay no? SF area?

Comment

It's never to late to learn man .Hopkins is 43 or something man and he's still at the top of the sport .Just train to be the best you can be man you won't regret it .I'm a bit pissed off just now because I feel I could be training alot harder and there's things going on in my life that's holding me back but I just say to myself f--k it i'm still giving it my best shot and training to be the best I can be .I'll benefit from it later on in life.

Comment

I believe it is better to ask is:

How fast can a very late starter go pro in boxing?

Notwithstanding any amateur requirements which may apply officially or unofficially in any given state, I would DESTROY any cruiserweight pitted against me after 4 months of rigorous training, & likewise any1 else pitted against me every 2 weeks to a month thereafter"." If only I could find a trainer & manager. That's the MF'n TRUTH"."

Also a short while back, a 52 year old male made a Pro-Debut after being exonerated of murder.

These people that say you can't, F! em, if there is a will there is a way"."

"Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind." -Jackie Joyner Kersee

---
                  Marlon Estacio Pagtakhan
                  @ profiles.google.com/prize.fighting.cruiserweight

Comment

Nope not too old, like many others have said age is not a barrier, 32 is a good age it is considered late to turn pro but again no reason why not if you are good enough.

If you have a few amateurs fights you will soon know if you are fit, strong, hungry enough to want to box and want to win. Heart's got to be init.

Comment

To old to fight!!

Comment

Working...
                      X