No announcement yet.

Finding your distance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding your distance

Well I am competing in the sub-novice golden gloves this year in buffalo. My trainer said that I cant be beat, that the only way they can beat me is if I let them. He said my jab is so fast and feirce that I will dominate this tournament like nothing. Everybody in my gym thinks I have 5-7 fights and I do not even have 1. So in other words, Im pretty good xD. But I have 2 problems. Number 1. I have this fear of sparing. can someone give me some tips to overcome this?
    2. I also need help finding my range to fire my jab. Any tips to help me?

Thanks well appreciated!

By the way

I am 137lbs, 5'9ish and Im 15.

Originally posted by LetsgetSAVAGE View Post
    Well I am competing in the sub-novice golden gloves this year in buffalo. My trainer said that I cant be beat, that the only way they can beat me is if I let them. He said my jab is so fast and feirce that I will dominate this tournament like nothing. Everybody in my gym thinks I have 5-7 fights and I do not even have 1. So in other words, Im pretty good xD. But I have 2 problems. Number 1. I have this fear of sparing. can someone give me some tips to overcome this?

Thanks well appreciated!

By the way

1. Get over your fear, you WILL get hit. Just learn to deal with it. You might be surprised at how tough you can be.

2. Ask your trainer to teach you proper footwork while throwing a jab. Step into your jab and your other leg follows through, your trainer knows best though.

Comment

if your jab is really that fast you shouldnt have a hard time finding your distance. Just throw it ou their from different angles/positions then choose one that is most comfortable

And the only way to overcome your fear of sparring is to spar. Like the guy above me said you'll be suprised how easily you can shake off most shots... but the big shots are the ones you have to be able to take in stride

Comment

your fear comes from lack of experience. Dont throw hard jabs to find the distance or you'll get countered. Try hittin the other guys gloves first before you start landing it that way you measure him up. work those combos, good luck.

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the non bashing. My footwork is up to par, my trainer says my boxing skills are great, I can get my way around somebody, I know how to put people in the corner, I understand lateral movment, etc etc. Its just when I spar I choke up and I get scared to get hit, so I pop my jab and its either I jam it because I lunge in to far or I fall just a little bit short

Comment

I used to have this fear of sparring, then when you actually do it it's really fun. I was surprised that taking shots most of the time wasn't that bad, it didn't hurt as much as i expected. Once you get in there it becomes quite fun.

Comment

Thanks well appreciated!

By the way

1. Spar as often as you can with anyone you can
              2. Fire your jab more often and you will soon be able to guage your distance.

Comment

Sparring is what you need, nothing you can do will replace the benefits of sparring. After getting in that ring enough trust me you ll be comfortable to the point where you dont even realize a punch was landed because ur not flinching and stuff you just get use to it. Just remember to keep your eyes open and move your head. The punch that hurts the most is the one that you dont see. I learned that the hard way, but after sparring a lot you ll be just fine you ll enjoy getting in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
                  I used to have this fear of sparring, then when you actually do it it's really fun. I was surprised that taking shots most of the time wasn't that bad, it didn't hurt as much as i expected. Once you get in there it becomes quite fun.
                  yup, after a while, all you want to do is spar.

Comment

Finding your distance and loosing fear.

Thanks well appreciated!

By the way

1. Your jab will create your distance by keeping your opponent at the end of punches. But if you don't know how far you should be from your opponent. Then all you have to do in the gym is get a partner to stand in front of you and extend your jab to his face, chest or shoulder while both of you stand in a fighting stance. You want to have enough distance to be able to land your jab flush, while keeping enough distance to avoid getting hit. That's your distance. Anything closer and you'll be fighting on the inside, anything further away, and you'll be fighting from the outside like Vic Darchinyan fights.

2. Loosing your fear. Just have fun while you spar, keep your cool, don't blink your eyes to much, don't look away from your opponent, don't let your hand block your eye sight, be relax and confident. Remember in boxing your going to get hit- it's part of the sport but also remember to keep your head moving to avoid getting hit.

Good Luck, L.A.

Comment

Working...
                    X