No announcement yet.

Will Canelo stick to his guns?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KRAFTSMAN View Post
    Canelo wants Mayweather to fight him NOW. His team knows September is just a date Mayweather can cancel at his whim. Who can blame them? Anyone who believes Floyd would fight four months after his next fight is a fool.

If he has to fight in the Floyd/Guerrero as an undercard fighter for little money, he might as well fight on a separate date where he can control the terms of the fight as the main card. Makes sense. Mayweather will never fight Canelo, anyway, win or lose in his next fight.
    I agree, I think it is a smart move by Canelo's team. For all those saying that Canelo doesn't have this type of pull, obviously GBP isn't balking otherwise they would have told team Canelo to go F themselves and announced a fight everyone knew was a done deal late last year. Now whether or not he has earned that type of leverage is a valid debate.
    The fact that they have held up the announcement means they are taking this seriously. At the end of the day Floyd only has a few more fights left, Canelo is the cash cow of the future for Golden Boy.
    Mares or Broner would be good for the undercard, but the casual viewer has no idea who they are. Canelo did prove in September that he can move the needle.
    Like I said Canelo has nothing to lose, he either get's his guarantee from team Mayweather (not likely) or he doesn't and gets confirmation that the fight will not happen this year and he can move on and headline his own card.

Comment

let him fight the winner of Golovkin vs Rosado..until then..hype only

Comment

Originally posted by QballLobo View Post
        I agree, I think it is a smart move by Canelo's team. For all those saying that Canelo doesn't have this type of pull, obviously GBP isn't balking otherwise they would have told team Canelo to go F themselves and announced a fight everyone knew was a done deal late last year. Now whether or not he has earned that type of leverage is a valid debate.
        The fact that they have held up the announcement means they are taking this seriously. At the end of the day Floyd only has a few more fights left, Canelo is the cash cow of the future for Golden Boy.
        Mares or Broner would be good for the undercard, but the casual viewer has no idea who they are. Canelo did prove in September that he can move the needle.
        Like I said Canelo has nothing to lose, he either get's his guarantee from team Mayweather (not likely) or he doesn't and gets confirmation that the fight will not happen this year and he can move on and headline his own card.
        I'm not sure if that statement is accurate. Mares has 26 bouts and has headlined (or been the co-feature) in his last 6 fights. Broner has 25 bouts and has headlined (or been the co-feature) in his last 6 fights. I'm sure casual fans remember when he blasted Litzau in 1, or when he got a disputed decision against Ponce, or just recently, when he beat the brakes off DeMarco. Didn't he break some TV record too? Not to mention that he's charismatic and is similar to Floyd as well. Mares is one of the more popular "little guys" in the sport, and he has an entertaining style to go with it. Add the fact that he's Mexican, and it makes it that much easier to sell the card. Maybe they don't bring in as much revenue as Canelo does. But I'm sure GBP will put them in legit match-ups that have the possibility of being competitive because they aren't protecting Mares/Broner.

I say, let Canelo have his own PPV and see what comes of it. Whether it's Mayweather or Canelo, somebody's gonna get their ego checked.
        Last edited by kiaba360; 01-19-2013, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSun View Post
          We all know Floyd doesn't want to fight Canelo. Floyd ain't guaranteeing jack **** to Canelo, puto you're too good and you're not coming up from 140lb's
          The irony here.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
            I'm not sure if that statement is accurate. Mares has 26 bouts and has headlined (or been the co-feature) in his last 6 fights. Broner has 25 bouts and has headlined (or been the co-feature) in his last 6 fights. I'm sure casual fans remember when he blasted Litzau in 1, or when he got a disputed decision against Ponce, or just recently, when he beat the brakes off DeMarco. Didn't he break some TV record too? Not to mention that he's charismatic and is similar to Floyd as well. Mares is one of the more popular "little guys" in the sport, and he has an entertaining style to go with it. Add the fact that he's Mexican, and it makes it that much easier to sell the card. Maybe they don't bring in as much revenue as Canelo does. But I'm sure GBP will put them in legit match-ups that have the possibility of being competitive because they aren't protecting Mares/Broner.

I say, let Canelo have his own PPV and see what comes of it. Whether it's Mayweather or Canelo, somebody's gonna get their ego checked.
            Casual boxing fans might know who they are, but joe shmoe looking for something to do on a Saturday night isn't going to care about anyone but the Mayweather fight. And let's face it, Guerrero is one of the least known opponents that Floyd as fought in years. I could see a lot of people sitting this one out, especially considering that a Pacquiao fight is not being talked about anymore.
            Last time Floyd fought without Canelo being a part of it was Marquez and barely did a million on the PPV. Marquez had a lot of name recognition coming off the Pac fights and it was on Mexican independence weekend. Robert Guerrero couldn't be picked out of a line up by most sports fans. I say he needs Canelo more than people think, but we will see eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSun View Post
              We all know Floyd doesn't want to fight Canelo. Floyd ain't guaranteeing jack **** to Canelo, puto you're too good and you're not coming up from 140lb's

Originally posted by bushbaby View Post
              the irony here.
              lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Last edited by -PBP-; 01-19-2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Lol this kid doesn't realize how much of a gift he's being given by being on the same card as Floyd. He is delusional. Just because GBP is on his d1ck hard doesn't mean that anybody outside of a few Mexican boxing fans gives a **** about him. Go do your own PPV and see how many people actually pay to see you, you scrub. Your lucky Floyd is even letting GBP put their latest hypejob on his under card. He could easily say he only wants guys from his own promotional company. You need Floyd for the exposure and he doesn't need you for anything dip****. So take your gift and shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by QballLobo View Post
                  Casual boxing fans might know who they are, but joe shmoe looking for something to do on a Saturday night isn't going to care about anyone but the Mayweather fight. And let's face it, Guerrero is one of the least known opponents that Floyd as fought in years. I could see a lot of people sitting this one out, especially considering that a Pacquiao fight is not being talked about anymore.
                  Last time Floyd fought without Canelo being a part of it was Marquez and barely did a million on the PPV. Marquez had a lot of name recognition coming off the Pac fights and it was on Mexican independence weekend. Robert Guerrero couldn't be picked out of a line up by most sports fans. I say he needs Canelo more than people think, but we will see eventually.
                  Good points. Boxing seems to be lacking in the "future stars" department, and Mayweather has to decide right now what role he's gonna play. Is he gonna do a favor and share the spotlight with Canelo, or is he gonna say "Fuck that" and make the young gun work for the shot?

Comment

Working...
                  X