Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The NFL/Boxing Theory have some real weight behind it.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1sballotHOF View Post
    True, but you can't teach Tyson's power and speed. You just can't. I personally think RB's would make the best boxers, in terms of raw speed and power. WR's in terms of cruiserweight type fighters. You have to remember, a lot of pro ballers would have to drop a ton of weight, and probably not even fight at hw. Boxing training is a million times different than football training, so who knows how much athleticism/power/speed they'd lose.
    I'm from MN, and considering you chose RBs, can you teach the explosiveness that Adrian Peterson has? The man runs through people. Could Tyson do that? In 1988, probably, but it's not for sure. You either have it or you don't. As for WRs, Percy Harvin is 5'11", and 184lbs, buff, and runs through defenders. I love the Vikings so maybe I'm too bias, but to be honest if you gave Harvin 5 years of training, and a few cans, he could be a force at 168lbs. I won't say he'd be number 1, but he'd be at least top 10 if not top 5. What I love about boxing is the intangibles. I feel boxing tests it more than any other sport, but when guys run through NFL defenders with no fear you hve to wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by pacmanis1 View Post
      I'm from MN, and considering you chose RBs, can you teach the explosiveness that Adrian Peterson has? The man runs through people. Could Tyson do that? In 1988, probably, but it's not for sure. You either have it or you don't. As for WRs, Percy Harvin is 5'11", and 184lbs, buff, and runs through defenders. I love the Vikings so maybe I'm too bias, but to be honest if you gave Harvin 5 years of training, and a few cans, he could be a force at 168lbs. I won't say he'd be number 1, but he'd be at least top 10 if not top 5. What I love about boxing is the intangibles. I feel boxing tests it more than any other sport, but when guys run through NFL defenders with no fear you hve to wonder.
      I don't think you can translate running through people, with being stationary and being able to punch with crazy power. Your either a puncher or your not. Same goes for guys like AP. Your either born with the gift of truckin defenders or your not. How many times have we seen a big, muscular guy punch like a girl, and with no force? Too many.

I will say this though. If theirs absolutely 1 pro athlete I would never doubt. Its Adrian Peterson. The man is one of the most elite athletes I've ever seen. I think him and bo Jackson could've been insane fighters.
      Last edited by 1sballotHOF; 11-14-2012, 02:09 AM.

Comment

I'm a very zen person and I find myself wondering how long boxing will last. From most, if not all aspects, boxing is the worst sport know to man in terms of long term health problems. Maybe that's why I love the Maidana's, Matthysse, and Gatti's. I love the risk they take. They fight for the moment and hope to be remembered for it, and I will remember them until the day I die.
        Good post, I also like to point out the 'ATG'S all have big hearts. I know a lot of the 2nd tier fighters got that slugger brawler mentality, but a lot of ATGS that you don't associate with brawlers/sluggers really do have moments of tremendous bravery.

Larry Holmes was hit in a fight against Shavers with one of the hardest punches ever, he went down and got right back up. That look in his eyes when he was getting up said it all. It said he is terrified but he won't quit.

Lennox Lewis against Bruno in that last round, he got hit with a large variety of punches and went right back.

I hate saying this because Gatti passed, but honestly it is more admirable to see two ATG'S of surreal skills going at each other like in Hearns-Leonard 2 and Hagler-Hearns than a B Rated fighter who's only trump card IS his courage and heart.

Comment

I'm a very zen person and I find myself wondering how long boxing will last. From most, if not all aspects, boxing is the worst sport know to man in terms of long term health problems. Maybe that's why I love the Maidana's, Matthysse, and Gatti's. I love the risk they take. They fight for the moment and hope to be remembered for it, and I will remember them until the day I die.
          Yeah I agree with that. Sometimes I think about the lives retired boxers end up with and it would make you question the whole thing, shattered bodies and shattered bank accounts a lot of the time.

But then you think about those moments, fleeting as they may be, where these guys are like gods.

Comment

I dont mind people saying that there are lots of potential boxers in the NFL/NBA, but some people seem to be saying that they would automatically be ATG's if they fought. Id put good money that they wouldnt beat the Klitschkos even if theydve fought since they were 3 years old, because the klitschkos have PROVEN to be not just awesome athletes but also to have all mental aspects needed to compete in the ring. Being a great athlete in one sport does NOT necessarily translate into being a great athlete in another... see Micheal Jordans baseball career...

Comment

If the NFL is responsible for taking so many prospects then why has the HW division always been full of fat asses outside of two strong generations? And you point to Seth Mitchell as being an NFL reject but forget that Rocky Marcianno was a baseball reject who didn't start boxing till age 23. Where were all these super athletes when Rocky was beating on cans and old men?

Comment

Idk about this really.

Football is an American game.
                Boxing is a global game, not just an American game.

If you want global fame, you'll have to do it through boxing. I can't even name the best NFL players or whatever. Yet anyone will recognise Ali/Tyson, and a lot of people will recognise Lewis, Holmes etc. I guess money beats the chance of global fame on this one!

But onto the main question...

People are saying that because the American super athletes are in other sports, that is the reason they aren't the top of heavyweight boxing. That's practically saying that no other country can get that spot if those people were in boxing right now. Unless you have proof of that, its pretty laughable.

Even if these other sportsmen in the NFL you describe were in boxing, theres still a chance there'd be no American champions. Can you put aside nationalism/patriotism to admit that?

And no, this isn't anti-American. Attack my argument, and not me if you disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
                  If the NFL is responsible for taking so many prospects then why has the HW division always been full of fat asses outside of two strong generations? And you point to Seth Mitchell as being an NFL reject but forget that Rocky Marcianno was a baseball reject who didn't start boxing till age 23. Where were all these super athletes when Rocky was beating on cans and old men?
                  The NFL started getting big in the modern era in terms of stealing super athletes like Cam Newton RG3, Ray Lewis, Adrian Peterson etc.
                  It didn't start stealing these super athletes in the 70's because these super athletes didn't exist...
                  Once again like pointed out, Lennox Lewis at 6'5-6'6 if he was a boxing AND football prospect from Brookyn today. Age 18, he have to decide to either turn pro Boxer or top College football. He will pick football.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
                    Idk about this really.

Football is an American game.
                    Boxing is a global game, not just an American game.

If you want global fame, you'll have to do it through boxing. I can't even name the best NFL players or whatever. Yet anyone will recognise Ali/Tyson, and a lot of people will recognise Lewis, Holmes etc. I guess money beats the chance of global fame on this one!

But onto the main question...

People are saying that because the American super athletes are in other sports, that is the reason they aren't the top of heavyweight boxing. That's practically saying that no other country can get that spot if those people were in boxing right now. Unless you have proof of that, its pretty laughable.

Even if these other sportsmen in the NFL you describe were in boxing, theres still a chance there'd be no American champions. Can you put aside nationalism/patriotism to admit that?

And no, this isn't anti-American. Attack my argument, and not me if you disagree.

This is a great point, but in terms of money at HW it have died. Example, someone posted Kbro earnings and they were earning millions per fight. Not ten's of millions on average, millions. They are the two biggest cash cows at the HW Division. Lennox Lewis made 10 million as a kid(17 million adjusted for inflation) against Tony Tucker.... This was when Lewis was comparable in terms of fame to today's David Price.

Can you imagine David Price getting 17 million in his next fight? Guys like Michael Spinks was getting 8-13 million in the 80's, adjusted for inflation it's like 20+ million now.

Of course the top guys are rich, but

1- The top guys of the 90's were RICHER.
                    2- The 70's-90's middle guys made more money.

Comment

God, posters here are idiots.

Lennox Lewis talking about football. Considering he's from the UK he isn't talking about American Football, he's talking about SOCCER! He wasn't scouted to play American football in college.

Comment

Working...
                      X