Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amateur vs Professional - Does Skill in one Translate to the Other?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nekronicle View Post
    haha
    i meant skill wise, it does take you to the limit

Comment

ams succes does'nt translate to pro success

carlos pinto , abdulaev beat cotto in the ams only to get destroyed in the pros

martin castillo and augie sanchez beat floyd in the ams ..

nonito beating kirkland in the ams

viloria beating nonito

so on and so forth..

bragging about the ams is like bragging about winning a fight when you were just a lil kid

Comment

maidana beat mathysse in the ams 3 x ..actually this one i think is one of few examples where ams translate to pros....coz i favor el chino to beat mathysse

Comment

ofcourse amateur skill translates into professional skill.

i mean there are obviously diffrences in the scoring so you have to change your style when you turn pro which some fighters struggle with.

but that doesnt mean all the timing, accuracy, footwork, headmovement, ability to block/parry punches, punching form, sense of distance, ability to use angles, coordination etc all of a sudden becomes irrelevant.

it still matters you just have to find a slightly diffrent way to apply it. but to say it doesnt have anything to do with pro boxing is just ignant.

eventually you will have your heart tested too since the pro ranks are tougher than the amateur ranks. but most great amateurs are so skillful they will reach the top 10 before anyone can even test their heart, just on their amateur pedigree alone.

so just bcuz you are a great amateur that doesnt mean you will be a great pro, but it certainly helps.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
            ofcourse amateur skill translates into professional skill.

i mean there are obviously diffrences in the scoring so you have to change your style when you turn pro which some fighters struggle with.

but that doesnt mean all the timing, accuracy, footwork, headmovement, ability to block/parry punches, punching form, sense of distance, ability to use angles, coordination etc all of a sudden becomes irrelevant.

it still matters you just have to find a slightly diffrent way to apply it. but to say it doesnt have anything to do with pro boxing is just ignant.

eventually you will have your heart tested too since the pro ranks are tougher than the amateur ranks. but most great amateurs are so skillful they will reach the top 10 before anyone can even test their heart, just on their amateur pedigree alone.

so just bcuz you are a great amateur that doesnt mean you will be a great pro, but it certainly helps.
            Well put!

Comment

Its not an exact formula. It depends on style . Some of the am win by slapping and dancing round like a fairy. Look for the guy that's sets his feet and places his shots but still loses cos he gets slapped 3 times landing a good stiff jab or hook. The other guy doesn't want to get hit so moves around alot throwing lots of punches but with little effect on the opponent. This guy wins in the ams but the other guy will be best suited to the pros. Of course there are the exeptions that have both great am career and pro but reality is they are few and far between.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekronicle View Post
                hahah yeah thats me.
                I remember you send somebody to watch this pic for a proof that you are not cuban cuz you said your very white and with lone hair..that have nothing..lol..cubans have no special look..there was many ppl in my class back in cuba who looked like you...good boxing thread this one..you need to understand that this is a virtual place for fans..nothing is more bias than a fanatic...the country which have no amateur success their fans won't accept your fact..that are very clear..greetings..

Comment

dont think it's often an olympic champion will not do good in the pro's

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg™ View Post
                    amatuer you have head gear and huge gloves and the way they score fights is just plain dumb. in the pros no head gear smaller gloves and the scoring is based on more elements of boxing then just tag the other person.

So where one fighter can be great in the amateurs, he can still be very untested in the pros. It different on a case by case situation, look at taylor sucked in the amateurs compared to his olympic team counterparts but then he out performed them and thrived in the pros.

It is a COMMON myth that amateur boxing is this soft and safe sport...the headgear limits CUTS, not actual equlibriem (sp??) damage so much..some of the best KO's I have ever seen have come either in amateur fights or the gym with headgear on...also. the gloves ARE NOT HUGE LOL I dont know who told someone that and they ran with it but amateurs fight in 10 or 12 ounce ounce gloves depending on the weight class, same as pro fights (Ive fought in 12's as a pro a coule times)...you should definitely not make the mistake of thinking punches in amateur boxing are soft and weak...anyone going to a gym and putting on 12 ounce amateur fight gloves will NOT wish to get hit with them, I can assure you of this.
                    Last edited by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY; 12-28-2012, 03:29 PM.

Comment

What u also have to realize is that amateur success translating to professional success also depends in a BIG way on who u sign with and who the matchmaker is...take two kids, one an olympic gold medal winner and the other just a local kid...have them both fight and beat the same 20 guys in the EXACT same fashion. OK, well, the guy with the solid promoter is going to be ranked # 8 in the world afterwards and the other kid is going to be # 44...same opponents, same win/loss ratio, etc...one gets rewarded, the other doesnt...one gets opportunities based on it, the other does not...

Comment

Working...
                      X