Black Education- Thoughts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Education- Thoughts?

Black Education

In my "Black Education Disaster" column (12/22/10), I presented National Assessment of Educational Progress test data that demonstrated that an average black high school graduate had a level of reading, writing and math proficiency of a white seventh- or eighth-grader. The public education establishment bears part of the responsibility for this disaster, but a greater portion is borne by black students and their parents, many of whom who are alien and hostile to the education process.

Let's look at the education environment in many schools and ask how conducive it is to the education process. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, nationally during 2007-2008, more than 145,000 teachers were physically attacked. Six percent of big-city schools report verbal abuse of teachers and 18 percent report non-verbal disrespect for teachers.

An earlier NCES study found that 18 percent of the nation's schools accounted for 75 percent of the reported incidents of violence, and 6.6 percent accounted for 50 percent. So far as serious violence, murder and rapes, 1.9 percent of schools reported 50 percent of the incidents. The preponderance of school violence occurs in big-city schools attended by black students.

What's the solution? Violence, weapons-carrying, gang activity and student or teacher intimidation should not be tolerated. Students engaging in such activity should be summarily expelled.

Some might worry about the plight of expelled students. I think we should have greater concern for those students whose education is made impossible by thugs and the impossible learning environment they create.

Another part of the black education disaster has to do with the home environment. More than 70 percent of black children are born to unwedded mothers, who are often themselves born to unwedded mothers. Today's level of female-headed households is new in black history. Until the 1950s, almost 80 percent of black children lived in two-parent households, as opposed to today's 35 percent.

Often, these unwedded mothers have poor parenting skills and are indifferent, and sometimes hostile, to their children's education. The resulting poorly behaving students should not be permitted to sabotage the education of students whose parents are supportive of the education process.

At the minimum, a mechanism such as tuition tax credit or educational voucher ought to be available to allow parents and children who care to opt out of failing schools. Some people take the position that we should repair not abandon failing schools. That's a vision that differs little from one that says that no black child's education should be improved unless we can improve the education of all black children.

What needs to be done is not rocket science. Our black ancestors, just two, three, four generations out of slavery, would not have tolerated school behavior that's all but routine today. The fact that the behavior of many black students has become acceptable and made excuses for is no less than a gross betrayal of sacrifices our ancestors made to create today's opportunities.

Some of today's black political leadership is around my age, 75, such as Reps. Maxine Waters, Charles Rangel, John Conyers, former Virginia governor Douglas Wilder, Jesse Jackson and many others. Forget that they are liberal Democrats but ask them whether their parents, kin or neighbors would have tolerated children cursing to, or in the presence of, teachers and other adults. Ask them what their parents would have done had they assaulted an adult or teacher. Ask whether their parents would have accepted the grossly disrespectful behavior seen among many black youngsters on the streets and other public places using foul language and racial epithets. Then ask why should today's blacks tolerate something our ancestors would not.

The sorry and tragic state of black education is not going to be turned around until there's a change in what's acceptable and unacceptable behavior by young people. The bulk of that change has to come from within the black community.

Walter E. Williams is a professor of economics at George Mason University. To find out more about Walter E. Williams and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com

Nice post.

I think it's simply the culture, nothing more. Obviously there are many factors that contribute to this like economy but the culture in the black community is something to look at.

I can say the same about Hispanics, more specific Chicano culture in LA where I grew up. When I was in 3rd grade I hit a teacher, had serious problems with my temper and it carried over as a teenager and adult. I'm not like that anymore but it's part of how you grow up.

I think young black kids just don't assimilate very well to "white education" as they see it. They don't have much structure at home and then some white lady telling them what to do isn't going to help.

As cliche as it sounds, the only thing that will help IS education. Making these kids understand that without an education your life is going no where.

Comment

yea, you have problems with temper and whatnot with all types of lower class people especially, but for the most part hispanic culture is about the family, and reputation means a lot to families. Can you talk back to a Mexican dad or curse your mom out in front of him? Probably not. We're talking about 70% of black kids with no dads here. the culture has no real male influence and all the kids wanna be thuggin like their daddy (who's not even there btw and they are all pissed off at).

This is my personal experience, and its not just in the black community, but its becoming a trend in parenting across the board. no one wants to discipline their kids for shi t. And I'm not talking about beating the kid's a$$. I'm talking about real discipline where you make the kid understand how to make choices and what real consequences are (not just physical pain). Parents nowadays want to be their kid's best fukn friends. That's NOT being a parent. But its really bad in the black community. Mom' s are hanging out with the daughters/sons and whatnot.

Kids get away with A LOT more shi t than they used to. No one can help the kids anymore either, if its a kid acting bad in your neighborhood, the parents get all pissed off when you call them out at YOU, not the kids.

I think the "white education" is bullsh it. most inner city schools have plenty of black teachers. What do you want them to teach? Not liking "white education" so you fuk off all day in class and end up under state supervision? Sounds like a great decision to make. And make no mistake about it, the ones who really should be pissed about "white education" are the older black folk, and I'd bet they'd rather their grandkids do well in any school than end up some fake ass thug locked up not being there for his kids because he didn't like the "white man's education"

Comment

I hear what you are saying but I'm not making an excuse, I'm just trying to explain why young black kids think the way they do.

The "white education" is based on how black kids not only feel about the school system but about everything that isn't black. It's a culture that is very closed to other cultures and ideal, that's why I said they don't assimilate very well with main stream society.

Of course there are exceptions but you understand my point.

There are schools right now in Harlem that are all black and those students have a 90% graduation rate. For some reason they respond to their own more so that just being places in an environment where they can't associate with anyone else.

I'm not saying we should have segregated schools, I just think it gives you an insight to the mentality of a lot of these young black kids.

You are right though, the #1 problem is the family and lack of it but how do we fix that? Oh and for the record, more and more Mexicans are becoming "Americanized" as our parents would say and loosing that family identity.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
          I hear what you are saying but I'm not making an excuse, I'm just trying to explain why young black kids think the way they do.

The "white education" is based on how black kids not only feel about the school system but about everything that isn't black. It's a culture that is very closed to other cultures and ideal, that's why I said they don't assimilate very well with main stream society.

There are schools right now in Harlem that are all black and those students have a 90% graduation rate. For some reason they respond to their own more so that just being places in an environment where they can't associate with anyone else.

I'm not saying we should have segregated schools, I just think it gives you an insight to the mentality of a lot of these young black kids.

You are right though, the #1 problem is the family and lack of it but how do we fix that? Oh and for the record, more and more Mexicans are becoming "Americanized" as our parents would say and loosing that family identity.
          there's plenty of black schools that have good graduation rates, including some of the black colleges, but those black schools are attended by mostly kids with 2 parents or kids who's parents care. hopefully the small scale renaissance going on in harlem can catch on in other black communities. harlm has always been progressive, but rarely does it catch on in places like new orleans or norfolk, or miami..

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
            there's plenty of black schools that have good graduation rates, including some of the black colleges, but those black schools are attended by mostly kids with 2 parents or kids who's parents care. hopefully the small scale renaissance going on in harlem can catch on in other black communities. harlm has always been progressive, but rarely does it catch on in places like new orleans or norfolk, or miami..
            The South bro............

The solution has to come from within, nobody can make a difference in the black community except blacks, it's that simple.

Comment

makes me laugh.

Comment

it aint working to hold on to all that anger and bitterness. blindly fighting society with no actual plan OR DESIRE to help your community + not assimilating to educational systems and promotion within your society (that you're a part of whether you like it or not)= not a good spot.

look, i hate most of our society as well, but I feel I"ve carved out a little niche for my family and close friends. I follow rules I want to follow for the most part and don't consider myself part of mainstream culture, but i always do so and consider the consequences to those around me. no one does anyone any good locked up except the prison industrial complex.

Comment

The South bro............

The solution has to come from within, nobody can make a difference in the black community except blacks, it's that simple.
                  i think you're right, that's beginning to be what it boils down to. period

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post

it aint working to hold on to all that anger and bitterness. blindly fighting society with no actual plan OR DESIRE to help your community + not assimilating to educational systems and promotion within your society (that you're a part of whether you like it or not)= not a good spot.

look, i hate most of our society as well, but I feel I"ve carved out a little niche for my family and close friends. I follow rules I want to follow for the most part and don't consider myself part of mainstream culture, but i always do so and consider the consequences to those around me. no one does anyone any good locked up except the prison industrial complex.
                    I hear you man, I moved the fuk out of LA, got rid of that gangster mentality and changed my life.

You have to want it though and understand that life is more than the hood you are growing up in.

Now I'm just too old and my wife would kick my ass anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X