No announcement yet.

Hand speed and endurance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand speed and endurance

I just was wondering how you can increase your hand speed. What kind of muscle do you need to work out or what kind of workouts can you do to make you punches faster. Also a lot of new fighters (like myself) find it quite tiring to keep your hands up the whole time. I'm guessing that these two thing go together so how do I specifically work out these 2 areas (Hand speed and hand endurance)? Thanks.

u need to do two things... one... use weights intervally... wrist weights.. then take them off... then use them, then take them off..

another thing is.. speed for a punch...

you wanna activate ALL you punching muscles at the same exact time...

this means extending your arm, twisting your torso, pushing with your legs... ALL at the same EXACT time...

one thing i always tell people.... remember back in hishchool... you would try and make someone flinch... but like fake stepping at them...

but you would do it REAL quick to make them flinch... do that.. only, your punching... kinda like.. wait wait wait... EXPLODE...

Comment

hand speed is hard.. its something thats more natural than anything...

roy jones likes to play air hockey, for quick hand eye coordination and reflexes..

u know the game slap hands or whatever.. when you tr yand flip your hand over and slap the other persons hand...

thats all about impulse exploding.... exploding before they even move... you need to convert that kind of explosion to a punch....

you dont wanna telegraph... you dont wanna twist your torso, or move your arm.. and then follow with a punch.. that way they see your punch coming... you want everything to move instantly...
      Last edited by THE REED; 02-08-2008, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hwann View Post
        I just was wondering how you can increase your hand speed. What kind of muscle do you need to work out or what kind of workouts can you do to make you punches faster. Also a lot of new fighters (like myself) find it quite tiring to keep your hands up the whole time. I'm guessing that these two thing go together so how do I specifically work out these 2 areas (Hand speed and hand endurance)? Thanks.
        shadow boxing with 1lb or 2lb weights you also need to be lose not tense or you will tighten up this is one work out you can do of many to increase speed, also about keeping your hands up you can run with weights on your hands holding up towards your cheeks this will help condition you to keep your hands up .

Comment

Originally posted by E17 View Post
          shadow boxing with 1lb or 2lb weights you also need to be lose not tense or you will tighten up this is one work out you can do of many to increase speed, also about keeping your hands up you can run with weights on your hands holding up towards your cheeks this will help condition you to keep your hands up .
          What weight class you in? You should try and wear them under your gloves or get heavier gloves that will give you quicker hands come fight night. If you are a heavyweight you will never have quick hands like zab or whoever.

Comment

man i got my handspeed from non stop shadowboxing everyday for years... this one pro boxer at my gym once told me that the best thing you can do is shadowbox all of the time because its the closest to boxing all the time. Floyd Mayweather apparantly punched random **** all the time as kid, and it makes sense cause i got some nasty hand speed from thousands of hours of shadowboxing.

Comment

Both speed and power use fast twitch muscle fibers. So training explosive upper and lower body plyometrics helps both. Endurance is another animal. Usually a sprinter is fast but no endurance, a marathonist is slow but lasts long. You can't have 100% this and 100% that. You need to focus on main one and than have the other as the secondary one.

Comment

Working...
              X