View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 AM #13
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Virgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 107,571,090,987,199,774,720.00
Total Points: 107,571,090,987,199,807,488.00
A gift from The Last Emperor LOL! - jakkups Happy birthday homey - mangler Cocktail hour - mangler Sip this wine - mangler more drank - MANGLER 
Thanks for the stream dude. - Naps Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day - Bossy one of boxingscene's best posters - Freedom. Happy Holidays Nodogoshi - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy holidays bro! - led* 
10 years... impressive :beerchug: - jose830 Congrats on 10 years. - deanrw To a well-read member - -Weltschmerz- No Message - Run Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- 
Merry Christmas!  :beerchug: - -jose- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. . . - El Malo. A worthy opponent - 1bad65 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - DiLLiNGER 

Maybe it is just my predilection, but I tend to chalk it down to economics, mostly.

The US is a very large country. By population, it is third behind China and India.

The professional sports 'industry' in the US is very large.

Of course, the US produces some very good athletes (though, as has been noted, they are probably juicing for the most part. I guess that's a worthy footnote, but it isn't central to what I'm saying).

It makes sense that the US would have a lot of good professional athletes.

It's actually somewhat similar to the presence of very good footballers (soccer players) in Europe. Europe has a very lucrative association football (soccer) 'industry'.

It is certainly true that the US has many very good athletes. It is not so much about genetics, though, in my opinion.

If it were truly about slavery, there should be a proportional number of athletes from every place in the Americas where there use to be slavery. Brazil, for instance.

That said, there may be something to the slavery connection. But, it doesn't account for all of it.

Alternatively, it may be a case of marginalized populations getting into sports, and not about race. For instance, basketball players, and boxers, use to be largely Jewish in the US, in the 1930s or so.
Virgil Caine is online now   Reply With Quote