No announcement yet.

Top Rank - good or bad for Rigondeaux?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intoccabile View Post
    Until I see the type of fights TMT fighters are landing and their purses, I don't want to see ANYONE go over there.

People just like the name. For all we know it could be no better than signing with Don King.
    They got a lot to prove, hopefully 50 isn't taking this as just another business venture and is serious about improving the sport.

Comment

Top Rank is alright for Rigondeaux, but there are limitations on what they will do for him they will get him fights, even good fight but likely never the fights he wants against the guys that could really mint him because Top Rank will want to put more marketable guys that really have a future with them in those opportunities and they certainly won't want Rigondeaux to mess up their own plans.

Staying with them he would likely have a good career, but could never end up great. Leaving them is high risk/high reward because he could end up with much better fights, however he could also end up much worse off because without proper backing not many will want to fight him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        Top Rank is alright for Rigondeaux, but there are limitations on what they will do for him they will get him fights, even good fight but likely never the fights he wants against the guys that could really mint him because Top Rank will want to put more marketable guys that really have a future with them in those opportunities and they certainly won't want Rigondeaux to mess up their own plans.

Staying with them he would likely have a good career, but could never end up great. Leaving them is high risk/high reward because he could end up with much better fights, however he could also end up much worse off because without proper backing not many will want to fight him.
        So why are they putting him in all of these PPV's? Pretty big PPV's too. Well, according to Rigo's team GBP had a better offer for him than Top Rank. So if you're gonna have a 'decent' career without any big fights why not go with the better offer?

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
          So why are they putting him in all of these PPV's? Pretty big PPV's too. Well, according to Rigo's team GBP had a better offer for him than Top Rank. So if you're gonna have a 'decent' career without any big fights why not go with the better offer?
          They aren't giving him big fights, really he is going on PPV because they have no other place to put him with the fights they are giving him, although some network would possibly buy the Marroquin fight as a co-feature. He is a excellent fighter, they know he is an excellent fighter, and they know he could mess up a lot of plans so best to sign him up to keep him out of their way.

Really he needs to be making big moves with his age, but he may think GBP will do him like Top Rank is doing him so maybe he wants to roll the dice with the new guys in town.

He certainly should have taken the best offer though~ unless it is like I said and he just wanted a short term thing to then go in a different direction, but there are risks to that.

Comment

Top Rank doesn't know how to promote Cubans. Top Rank, or Bob Arum, he really sees too much into race. Give them a Puerto Rican, a Mexican, Filipino, or an american white man and Top Rank will do EVERYTHING in their power to promote the hell out of them. Cubans? Not so much. Dominicans? Good luck.

Bob Arum thinks this is still 1915 where people rally around and support their own race. While a lot of that is still true today with nationalistic stuff, boxing fans are boxing fans and I see no reason why a guy like Gamboa shouldn't be a huge star by now (being that he has EVERYTHING fight fans love - great power, phenomenal speed, explosiveness, combination punching and even a bit vulnerable).

All bob arum see's with these cubans is the total population of Cubans in america which is a small number, therefor he doesn't think they can be big stars (case in point - the reason Gamboa vs JuanMa never happened!).

I expect Rigondeaux to sign with TMT soon.

Comment

fighting bums is bad for his @ss, ..he keeps doing that, he wil never be anything but a glorified amateur fighter

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                They aren't giving him big fights, really he is going on PPV because they have no other place to put him with the fights they are giving him, although some network would possibly buy the Marroquin fight as a co-feature. He is a excellent fighter, they know he is an excellent fighter, and they know he could mess up a lot of plans so best to sign him up to keep him out of their way.

Really he needs to be making big moves with his age, but he may think GBP will do him like Top Rank is doing him so maybe he wants to roll the dice with the new guys in town.

He certainly should have taken the best offer though~ unless it is like I said and he just wanted a short term thing to then go in a different direction, but there are risks to that.
                If Showtime televised Lara-Hearns, there's no way they wouldn't televise Rigo as well. Unless, Showtime doesn't work with Top Rank now. That last statement in the first bold caught my attention. That's a good way to look at it too. He's calling out the big guys and it's up to Arum to get him those fights or not. And he obviously isn't.
                Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
                Top Rank doesn't know how to promote Cubans. Top Rank, or Bob Arum, he really sees too much into race. Give them a Puerto Rican, a Mexican, Filipino, or an american white man and Top Rank will do EVERYTHING in their power to promote the hell out of them. Cubans? Not so much. Dominicans? Good luck.

Bob Arum thinks this is still 1915 where people rally around and support their own race. While a lot of that is still true today with nationalistic stuff, boxing fans are boxing fans and I see no reason why a guy like Gamboa shouldn't be a huge star by now (being that he has EVERYTHING fight fans love - great power, phenomenal speed, explosiveness, combination punching and even a bit vulnerable).

All bob arum see's with these cubans is the total population of Cubans in america which is a small number, therefor he doesn't think they can be big stars (case in point - the reason Gamboa vs JuanMa never happened!).

I expect Rigondeaux to sign with TMT soon.
                You could very well say the same about GBP. And Im not saying it cause they didn't get Lara that Canelo fight. Im saying it cause after beating Williams he was out the ring for nearly a year then they put him on a card in freaking Mississippi. What Cuban is gonna go watch him there? And the main event wasn't even that good (on paper at least) to watch .

Comment

Rigo right now has offers from Top Rank , TMT and Golden Boy as well as others but it will come down to one of those 3 according to decubas

Comment

Bad because they will never put him in with their star fighters. So he will never get the big fights that he wants with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubanborn87 View Post
                      Rigo right now has offers from Top Rank , TMT and Golden Boy as well as others but it will come down to one of those 3 according to decubas
                      With those choices Id hate to be in his/their shoes. If you make the wrong choice you could be fked for the rest of your career. He has to do some serious thinking and choose wisely. I personally would pick the one company who would give me a clause saying they would give me a fight with one of their star fighters. Like Top Rank and Donaire or GBP and Mares. TMT can't do much for him right now and like I said before he's getting older so he needs a company that would move him along fast enough to land him a big fight.
                      Originally posted by Ringlife View Post
                      Bad because they will never put him in with their star fighters. So he will never get the big fights that he wants with them.
                      Yea I've been leaning towards this.

Comment

Working...
                      X