No announcement yet.

The fighter who had everything.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
    M8,this is like....the gr8test thread EVA!!!!!!!!!!!

Sugar Ray Leonard vs the vast majority of todays fighters from 140-154 = a lot of dudes getting Ranzany'D

I think it equals all of them getting Green'd too.

They really were a level above the ****e we see today. The contenders of that day at 135, 140, 147 etc were as good as most of the champions today, and this is what those guys did to the best contenders.

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
      Considering Leonard barely fought at the weight,how the hell is that an accomplishment? Overall,Leonard was a better fighter than Hagler ever was.Could you imagine Hagler fighting once in a five year period and coming back and beating Michael Spinks? Nope,neither can I.

Hagler would never have gotten in the ring with Spinks even at his very best.Too busy calling out welterweights,I suppose.
      dude, you must be slurping on battery acid, or you only associate marvelous marvin hagler, with hearns, duran, mugabi, and leonard...marvelous marvin hagler, in 50+ fights, absolutely annilalated, one of the deepest middleweight divisions in the history of the sport, before the welters started moving up...the middleweight divison that marvelous marvin hagler fought in, was far deeper than bernard hopkins middleweight run in the 90's, 00's, fyi...sugar ray leonard's professional boxing career, was only maybe 40 fights...

sugar ray leonard, after getting a points win against hagler, remained at 160, & 168 vs. hearns, duran, and lalonde, still retiring, and unretiring, so i'd say he was a small middleweight toward the end of his career...

sugar ray leonard's middlweight career, outside of hagler, was garbage...

then, he tried to melt down to 154 or so, and got the living crap beat out of him, trying to cherrypick terry norris, and hector camacho (rip)...

marvelous marvin hagler, for all intents and purposes, was a career middleweight, staked his claim @ 160 lbs, and took on all comers, and more often than not, put cats to sleep...for you to say, sugar ray leonard, was a better fighter overall than marvelous marvin hagler, shows me, how little you know, for nobody would utter such a word, without serious backup to make that claim stick...prime marvelous marvin hagler, had everything sugar ray leonard had in terms of boxing skillset, and then some...furthermore, nobody was clamoring for marvin hagler, to move up to fight anybody, the biggest fight in the 80's was leonard vs. hagler....

Comment

Originally posted by TheHolyCross View Post
        i dont like leonard because of the disgraceful display he put on the second fight vs duran

what the hell was that seriously?...
        Afer the way Duran acted in the first fight? Double standard? Or do you hate Duran too?

Comment

Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
          Afer the way Duran acted in the first fight? Double standard? Or do you hate Duran too?
          what?...duran ran away in the first fight? he came to do what he is paid to do, box, fight, what he did in the rematch

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            If you look at it the other way what damage did Hagler inflict on Leonard, except for a couple of rounds where he had Leonard hurt Hagler did next to no damage except for those particular rounds. Ofcourse Leonards blows were for the most part little more than an annoyance to Hagler, but they did what was needed for Leonard to carry many of the rounds when added to Haglers lack of action.

The memories of the indestructable war machine were just that on that particular evening, only memories. Hagler looked slow, tentative and unsure of himself and his punches for the entire fight. He simply could not handle Leonards speed and skill after a career full of glorious wars that on that night came to the forefront and exposed the worn champion as just that, a worn champion.

A champion enters the ring as the champion. He is then announced as the champion. But once everybody is out of the ring, except for the 2 fighters and the referee, and that bell rings nobody is the champion until their arm is lifted by the referee in victory when the fight is over. It doesnt matter if one does it with extremely cautious boxing or by brutal knockout. Constant agression only matters on the scorecards if you are landing the punches, Hagler was not and Leonards arm was raised............Rockin'
            sugar ray leonard, didn't fight like a true champ, against marvelous marvin hagler...hagler was never even dazed in the fight...lol...nice statement though...lol

in the history of true championship fights, the challenger has to whoop the champ...even ali said said that...

you make it seem like, sugar ray leonard won a unanimous decision, when all he did, all things being real, was get a close, split decision win, on a way past prime hagler...then welched on an agreed upon rematch...how corny was that...lol

like i said earlier, if marvelous marvin hagler knew, that sugar ray leonard was gonna shoeshine his way to a victory, and stay out of harms way, marvelous marvin hagler, would have probably either stayed home that night, or just sold the belt to sugar ray leonard...lol

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
              sugar ray leonard, didn't fight like a true champ, against marvelous marvin hagler...hagler was never even dazed in the fight...lol...nice statement though...lol

in the history of true championship fights, the challenger has to whoop the champ...even ali said said that...
              from a fans perpective this may be true. from a boxing judges stand point your statement would be false.

Ali also said that Joe Fraizier was an 'uncle tom', so that must be true aswell? ............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                Hagler signed for 12 rounds and everything else for the fight, get over it...........Rockin'
                it was the only way, he could get the pretty boy/prima donna, in the ring...and that was only after, he looked mortal, against mugabi...lol...sugar ray leonard, was quite shook, after he saw what hagler did to hearns...believe that...and hearns boxed, moved, but couldn't keep hagler off him...much respect to tommy hearns though...at least he actually tried to take marvelous marvin hagler's title, head up like a true champ, and gave us the best 3 rounds you'll ever see (word)....

Comment

Originally posted by TheHolyCross View Post
                  what?...duran ran away in the first fight? he came to do what he is paid to do, box, fight, what he did in the rematch
                  He celebrated after mocking Leonard in the last round and refusing to shake his hand. Why would Leonard owe him any extra respect. fuk em

Comment

Out of all the great fighter's I've seen in my lifetime, other than only probably Ali and Duran, Ray Leonard is the best fighter I've ever seen.

He is probably the most complete fighter I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
                      gtfoh...hagler was 60+fights old, with wars against hearns, & mugabi, behind him, taking on all comers,and srl, was on the shelf, for damn near 4 years, still in his 20's...

truth is, sugar ray leonard, he ain't want it with marvelous marvin hagler in his prime...he fake retired, and hid safely behind the mike, until he saw hagler slip bad in the mugabi fight...

sugar ray leonard, fought kevin howard, in what was thought to be a tuneup for hagler, but after kevin howard, put sugar ray leonard on the deck, sugar ray leonard, figured it was better to get back behind the mike, than face hagler, after that scare with the light hitting kevin howard...

...and what was up, with sugar ray leonard, rematching marvelous marvin hagler?...i guess sugar ray leonard knew his history, because he had to know, that marvelous marvin hagler, avenged every loss and draw on his record, dude welched on the rematch, and left hagler a bitter dude behind it...
                      so, you note that Ray laboured somewhat with Howard and was dropped, yet you don't acknowledge that he was past his best when fighting Marvin some additional (substance-filled) years later?

hmm, interesting.

Leonard will always be Marvin's daddy, bro. Hagler is mentally owned to Ray.

Comment

Working...
                      X