Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Duran rule over a weak era of lightweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was decent

Duran more than proved himself after his reign of terror over the LW division ended and he moved up into the higher weight classes

Comment

Dundee said a lot of different things, such as these prior to Duran-SRL I:

"Duran's a heel-to-toe guy, he takes two steps to get to you. So the idea is don't give him the two steps, don't move too far away. The more distance you give Duran, the more effective he is. What you don't do against aggression is run from it, because then he picks up momentum. My guy won't run from him."

"He's soft. Leonard's the puncher in this fight. I think he's going to knock him out in 10 or 11 rounds because Duran hasn't destroyed anybody as a Welterweight... Ray's going to nail him. Ray's going to stop him in his tracks with the jab. Leonard's got so much talent they haven't seen it yet."

Comment

Roberto Duran is a good fighter.

I have him ranked a few places behind Lennox Lewis and Bernard Hopkins on the ATG LIST. No shame in that. Lennox and Bernard are both incredible.

Comment

You funny Felix.

Comment

Originally posted by FightScorer View Post
            Roberto Duran is a good fighter.

I have him ranked a few places behind Lennox Lewis and Bernard Hopkins on the ATG LIST. No shame in that. Lennox and Bernard are both incredible.
            Is this a joke? Yup. Gotta be.

Comment

B4 the sugar fight...he was only noted for beatin ken buchanin..i think I got the last name close to right lol...yea hes definitley is overated...did much better opposition moving up and proved his mettle ironically...overrated at light weight...yes...overall...no

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Gudfella View Post
                B4 the sugar fight...he was only noted for beatin ken buchanin..i think I got the last name close to right lol...yea hes definitley is overated...did much better opposition moving up and proved his mettle ironically...overrated at light weight...yes...overall...no

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
                ^^^^^ I can't believe what I just read

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  ^^^^^ I can't believe what I just read

Poet

Seems to be an influx of posts like this the last few days.

Comment

Quality of opponents is often used to cast aspersions upon the stature of a fighter. As long as he fights the very best opponents available and ducks no one, a fighter is not responsible for the quality of opponents he defeats during his reign as champion, any more than he's responsible for who his parents are.

A champion can be so dominant - Louis ('bum of the month club'), Holmes, Tyson, Duran - that his opponents are outclassed to the point where they seem like amateurs by contrast.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                      Quality of opponents is often used to cast aspersions upon the stature of a fighter. As long as he fights the very best opponents available and ducks no one, a fighter is not responsible for the quality of opponents he defeats during his reign as champion, any more than he's responsible for who his parents are.

A champion can be so dominant - Louis ('bum of the month club'), Holmes, Tyson, Duran - that his opponents are outclassed to the point where they seem like amateurs by contrast.
                      so true. The only thing that can damage a percieved fighters reputation is that he ducks worthy opponents in his era and reasonable weight classification and duran did not do any of these things.

Comment

Working...
                      X