Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Juan Manuel Marquez retires this year, how will you remember him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a nearly man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
      I used to think the same way but not anymore. Since his performances against Manny, that single handedly elevated him above both of them. To do that at the age of 36-37 yrs old is even more impressive. He's one of the few boxers who I actually think has gotten better in reaching his mid to late 30's.

JMM is an ATG and one of the best boxers to come out of Mexico. Definitely one of the greatest counter punchers of all time.
      maybe he got better at an advanced age (in boxing at least) bcoz he was well preserved compared to marco and erik who were busy carving up their respective legacies at the time JMM was fighting obscure contenders top rank was feeding him...

it was only after the 1st pacquiao fight that he gained recognition after which he came back fighting lower tier foes again like salido and polo...

so when marco and erik were declining, JMM was well preserved as he took on pacquiao the 2nd time and then had his excellent campaign @ 135...

as for his fights with MP, what can u expect when you have a big styles advantage over your foe? you will really look terrific against that foe more often than not IMO... jones-toney, pacquiao-barrera, norton-ali...

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        Everyone that comes in this thread and says "I'll remember Marquez for exposing the fraud cheater Pacquiao" is only doing Marquez a disservice, and insulting him in many ways. You want to remember him for the Pacquiao fights? That's fine, ATGs are often remembered for trilogies they were involved in with other ATGs. But so many of you act like you'll only remember Marquez because you hate Pacquiao, which is an insult to the man.
        IMO it is the ultimate praise saying he got the better of the supposed greatest fighter of this era. Years from now when people talk Pacman, they will talk Pacman-Marquez 3 & the injustice done to Marquez.

Comment

bonafide ATG

technician turned warrior

pushed a bit for the manny fight, but was generally a humble man outside of the ring. you dont hear any stories about him being anything but a family man

outside of the mayweather fight he's never lost decisively.

the most decisive victory in his trilogy with pacquiao was without a doubt the final fight. i score it for marquez 9-3 or 8-4 every single time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy32 View Post
            Personally I will remember him as Manny Pacquiaos daddy,
            He beat Manny three times,
            the last fight being the most obvious but he was robbed.

I will also remember him as being a true warrior outside and inside the ring,
            He feared nobody and fought allcomers.
            Marquez and Ms. PACMAN one of my favorite trilogies.

Comment

To me, as my favorite Mexican fighter of all time, and as one of the greatest to ever lace them up.

Whether he won against Pac or not, they were 3 great fights.

Comment

i'll just remember how much of a warrior he was in the ring...which was especially displayed against his first fight with pac when he got knocked down 3 times in the first round, got his nose broken, and despite all of that he still came back to put up one hell of a fight. also he's an amazing counter puncher...

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyLungs View Post
                  i'll just remember how much of a warrior he was in the ring...which was especially displayed against his first fight with pac when he got knocked down 3 times in the first round, got his nose broken, and despite all of that he still came back to put up one hell of a fight. also he's an amazing counter puncher...
                  Great fighter on of the best combination punchers I've seen.

Comment

A truly great fighter that had a something only the ATG's have,

That extra gear that elevated him above 99% of the competition

I will remember him as a warrior and technician.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                      IMO it is the ultimate praise saying he got the better of the supposed greatest fighter of this era. Years from now when people talk Pacman, they will talk Pacman-Marquez 3 & the injustice done to Marquez.
                      If that's all you talk about, because you hate Pacquiao and say stuff like "The fat old lightweight beat the most overrated fighter ever," then you are doing a grave injustice to a great fighter. And that's what too many people do.

Comment

Working...
                      X