Collapse
No announcement yet.

Record eight medals for GB boxers at European championships

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brilliant fight between Bachkov and Polski. Two strong guys landing big shots on each other. Polski throws some nice combinations from outside but Bachkov's quality close work and slightly more responsible defence and pacing wins him the fight. He'll be a tough opponent for McCormack

Comment

Missed the middleweights. Tishchenko, famous for the gift he received in Rio, against a young Frenchman up next

Omba Biongolo was lively but Tishchenko was too well-schooled for him. Strong jab, strong guard, good bodywork up close. Very versatile boxer for such a big guy, no obvious weaknesses
      Last edited by NEETzsche; 06-23-2017, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
        Brilliant fight between Bachkov and Polski. Two strong guys landing big shots on each other. Polski throws some nice combinations from outside but Bachkov's quality close work and slightly more responsible defence and pacing wins him the fight. He'll be a tough opponent for McCormack
        You'd think McCormack would be underdog for the final I thought he just about lost.

Comment

Cheavan Clarke up now in the final bout of the session

Clarke gets caught by a couple of counters but Korving struggles to keep him away and Clarke is able to work away at the body for most of the round

Clarke struggles to land up top for most of round two but finally catches him towards the end and seems to hurt him. Probably Korving's round regardless

Close third round. Clarke still landing to the body and one or two to the head, but also getting countered at times and failing to really pin Korving down

Clarke gets the decision due to his aggression. Not that much finesse to what he does but he's effective. Definitely a fighter of the Joe Joyce mould. I guess he'll try to emulate the Levit gameplan in the final
          Last edited by NEETzsche; 06-23-2017, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
            You'd think McCormack would be underdog for the final I thought he just about lost.
            He'll need to box sensibly but both McCormack brothers seem prone to being dragged into scraps despite their tidy technique

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
              He'll need to box sensibly but both McCormack brothers seem prone to being dragged into scraps despite their tidy technique
              The red mist that is all so familiar with Khan. I think it's all about self-control. Some people can't all but help fighting fire with fire.

They've got time to learn though & it's still an impressive feat reaching the final. Not everybody gets a Silver at the European Championships.

Comment

Cheers for updates lads

Comment

Evening session about to start. The first bout should be good one between Farrell (ENG) and Irvine (IRL)

Good opening round. Farrell's jab is accurate but Irvine successfully replies with right counters over the top

Much stronger second round for Farrell as he starts bringing his right hand into play behind his jab and lands combinations, while Irvine is still only throwing single shots. Good technical outside action

Irvine comes out more aggressive but Farrell's defence is fairly tight and he takes advantage of the openings. In the second half of the round Farrell is throwing more and seems to have the edge in timing and speed

Farrell gets the decision. I really enjoyed that fight and Farrell is some prospect
                  Last edited by NEETzsche; 06-23-2017, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Good fight between Asenov and Zamotaev. I actually thought the Ukrainian might have edged it but they gave the decision to Asenov. Regardless, he'll be a tough opponent for Farrell in the final

Calum French against a Ukrainian now

Shestak started quickly and French was a bit too easy to hit, but French got back into it in the second half. Probably Shestak's round on balance, especially considering he's the home fighter

French found his range in round two and began to dictate things. Shestak is becoming pretty ragged but still landed a couple of clean blows. French's head is bit static

Close third round. Shestak started strong again and they went to war a little bit

Shestak gets a split decision. Can't really argue with it. Although French is a solid technician he gets hit too much and he allowed Shestak to make the fight messy in round three
                    Last edited by NEETzsche; 06-23-2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Mamedov gets the win over Ishchenko in a toe-to-toe battle. I have to say I thought Ishchenko showed the more class

Pat McCormack vs the Ukrainian Barabanov now

Cagey opening round between the two counter-punchers but I think McCormack did more work

McCormack's speed allowing him to catch Barabanov with potshots and slip the counter fire. He did leave himself completely defenceless on the inside at one point though which I've seen him do before against Mangiacapre in the WSB. Needs to work on that

Hard to separate them in the third round. McCormack landed a few potshots while Barabanov landed bits and pieces up close

McCormack gets the decision. He's clearly one of the most talented fighters on the squad but I think he's regressed since he moved to welterweight. Seems to fancy himself as a boxer-puncher now and the jab has all but disappeared from his arsenal
                      Last edited by NEETzsche; 06-23-2017, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X