Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran Sentencing Game Developer to Death

Video games as propaganda.
    January 9, 2012

Following a televised confession to spying on Iran for the Central Intelligence Agency, Amir Mizra Hekmati has been sentenced to death by the Islamic Revolutionary Court. The former United States marine has allegedly admitted to, among other things, spreading American propaganda and misinformation via Kuma Reality Games, a New York-based game developer.

Hekmati

A purported transcription of Hekmati's confession details his involvement with Kuma. It states:
    After (working for DARPA), I went to Kuma (Games Company). This computer company was receiving money from the CIA to (produce) and design and distribute for free special movies and games with the aim of manipulating public opinion in the Middle East. The goal of the company in question was to convince the people of Iran and the people of the entire world that whatever the U.S. does in other countries is a good measure.

While his involvement with the CIA remains to be seen, Kotaku has discovered Hekmati did, in fact, work with Kuma on a game for developing language skills. The project was funded by the Department of Defense.

The US government has outright denounced allegations concerning Hekmati's affiliation. Speaking to The New York Times, Tommy Vietor of the White House's National Security Council said "Allegations that Mr. Hekmati either worked for, or was sent to Iran by the CIA are false. The Iranian regime has a history of falsely accusing people of being spies, of eliciting forced confessions, and of holding innocent Americans for political reasons." Vietor went on to demand Hekmati's release.

IGN

What else is new

Comment

Can we change the name to "Iran Sentencing Foreign Spy to Death"

Comment

Originally posted by ƒallenloki View Post
        The US and the CIA don't use spies to stir up trouble in foreign countries ...
        NO WAY!!!!

Comment

Or Iran force a confession out of a US citizen then put him on show trial in a display of grandstanding over their obvious nuclear programme?

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
            Or Iran force a confession out of a US citizen then put him on show trial in a display of grandstanding over their obvious nuclear programme?
            .................this is probably what happened.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if he infact was a CIA agent

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
              I would put money on this statement as being closer to the truth, rather than what Iran is claiming.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief2ndzOnly! View Post
                I would put money on this statement as being closer to the truth, rather than what Iran is claiming.
                Based on what?

Comment

Who knows. I wouldn't doubt that the guy is a spy, it's well known that the US has spies all over Iran. I also wouldn't put it past the Iranians to have this as a show trial.

On a human level I do feel bad for the guy though.

Comment

Based on what?
                    Based on Iran's obvious nuclear programme, their well documented mistreatment of prisoners and their track record in grandstanding.

Comment

Working...
                    X