No announcement yet.

Southpaw Woes -- The Right Cross

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southpaw Woes -- The Right Cross

I need to learn how to make my left cross as dangerous as the other guy's right cross. Mine's good, but it's more of a stinger and not the freight train that the right cross is. I really need to put some serious time in on the bag just learning to make that cross like the hand of God himself. The guy on the other end of my gloves should be as wary of my cross as I am of his.

The guy I sparred today had a cross like a ****ing lightning bolt. Wicked fast and heavy as hell. It was like getting hit by a car. He caught me right on the nose and I didn't even see it coming.

To my credit, I didn't let it phase me; I just returned fire and finished the round with my nose dripping down my chin. But that didn't make it suck any less.

Right now my shovelhook is my big punch, thrown from just inside jab/cross range. I need to make my left cross become the punch that everyone is afraid of so that I've got a heavy weapon at range. This is my next immediate goal. I'm open to suggestions.

what sucks is, for a southpaw, you stand opposite an orthodox stance (obviously) and that sets their right hand up for a devastating sweeping attack, not only that but your headgear narrows the paripheral(sp?) vision so it makes it eve harder to see coming, my only suggestion would be to duck and back out every time you see his right side twitch...and make sure you are pivoting your front foot when you are throwing your left, srry if that doesnt help, i dont know much about southpaw fighters =p

Comment

im also a south paw, yet im naturally right haded. so my lead hand is strong, so i usually use it a lot more then my left. either way when i want to throw the left hook or cross i usually duck somewhat while doing it. like an overhand punch. from long range i usually will throw my left and twist my hand so that im pretty much punching with the complete back of my hand by the time it hits the opponent. many times the opponent will keep his glove attached to his chin. either because of a lack of experience with south paws and not wanting to get hit with the left, or just because of a lack of boxing experience all together. that is a really good time to throw the looping hook because it is almost just as good to hit the glove when in contact with the face then just hitting the face. just some south paw tips lol.

Comment

just work on your form when throwing it, remember 2 drop your knee slightly and drive as if hitting through your target, bring your arm back as fast as you can, twist your bodyweight behind it but dont overcommit, you should be balanced the whole time and clench your fist tightly on impact, expelling air from your mouth on impact seems to give it a bit more bang, alot of pros grunt or blow as they land the punch, some even yell, ive heard it gives the blow more sting and it also puts your opponent off a bit, sometimes un nerving them, also keep your right hand on guard the whole time (depending on what stance you adopt, regular, philly shell etc... hope that helps it was how i was taught to throw my cross which everyone says is a great punch for me good luck

Comment

Try having your back foot facing the same direction with your heel off the floor, i know it sounds stupid and fundamental but you see a lot of people who for some reason plant their back heel when they throw it out of bad habit. Make sure it's up in the air and you will notice a lot more power behind it. Also one handed medicine ball throws against a wall helps a lot.

Comment

I think both my hands are powerful, Since im a natural, southpaw, but when i was younger i trained my right hand, because i loved to arm wrestle against guys and they all right handed lol.
            So i think i have 2 power hands.

But in a southpaw stance, no one has a advantage, by that i mean its a mirror image.
            its your left cross vs his right cross, by smart movement to the right, you open your left and avoid his right, thats the fundamental southpaw strategy.
            I like to throw a lead left hand, non telegraphed so the fist moves first with the whole body falling in. Kinda like the mayweather right hand, its a very good punch.

to practise it, i would have a mirror, and constantly practise the mechanics of the punch, and putting emphasis on the pivot of the rear foot, First perfect the technique, minimize telegraphing, keeping guard up chin down, explore follow ups. Then train the **** out of it.

Comment

You have to understand that the powerful effect of the cross comes from timing. You have to be very patient with the cross and also fast as hell to step in when you see an opening. That's why the cross is best used as a counter punch. It can also be used as an offensive attact against smaller opponents, but against taller ones it works best as a counter punch.

Comment

Southpaw's are very susceptible to the right cross. To beat a southpaw you have to use your right hand effectively. Since you are a southpaw I would suggest to make the other figher beat you with their left....just really focus your defense against their right hand, and punish them with your left.

Comment

Don't let him set his feet so that his left leg is outside of your right leg. To improve your left hook I suggest using the speed bag to improve your speed with your left hand which will put more snap into your punches. Most people can't punch evenly with both hands so it's no biggie, just try and work on your handspeed instead of power and you can get a new style and way of fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Benn_Foust View Post
                    Don't let him set his feet so that his left leg is outside of your right leg. To improve your left hook I suggest using the speed bag to improve your speed with your left hand which will put more snap into your punches. Most people can't punch evenly with both hands so it's no biggie, just try and work on your handspeed instead of power and you can get a new style and way of fighting.
                    My left hook is wicked, especially to the body or when thrown at a 45 as a shovel hook. I've always worked the left cross as a quick snapping punch (so as not to have it followed by a right cross over the top when returning), not as a bomb the way many orthodox guys throw the right. That's what I'm missing in my arsenal -- that massive, freight-train cross. I forgot to watch his left foot, too; that's why that fast right hand seemed to appear out of nowhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X