View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 05:46 PM #13
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
vacon04 has a reputation beyond reputevacon04 has a reputation beyond reputevacon04 has a reputation beyond reputevacon04 has a reputation beyond reputevacon04 has a reputation beyond reputevacon04 has a reputation beyond reputevacon04 has a reputation beyond reputevacon04 has a reputation beyond reputevacon04 has a reputation beyond reputevacon04 has a reputation beyond reputevacon04 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,138,206,118,783.03
Total Points: 5,139,207,150,023.00
i ran out of green to give, but have a gift. you're a very good poster from what i've seen. - chiguy91 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
I agree, I trained old school really. Did most of my "lifting" with medicine balls and push ups, sit ups and dips and stuff like that.

Now fighters are training better and I agree, weights are a big part of it but you can't over do it because you can lost flexibility.

I see MMA fighters in the gym all the time and the one thing a lot of them have in common is they are stiff because they lift so much weights.
Actually the idea that boxers need to do high reps and low weight has been proved wrong. As a boxer most of the training consist of running, rope jumping, working with mitts, using heavy bag, speed bag and double end bag, shadow boxing and sparring of course. Most of those exercises help you mainly to get muscle endurance.

So if you're going to lift weights, you actually need to work on the opposite, which is speed strength and absolute functional strength, not more endurance. About losing flexibility, there I agree that doing lifting weights without a proper training routine would make a boxer lose flexibility, but a good workout specifically made for a boxer could make you gain more power and speed by lifting weights, without having to sacrifice flexibility.
vacon04 is offline   Reply With Quote