Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jon Jones jabs Khabib fans: 15-4, and you guys are talking about the GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Jones jabs Khabib fans: 15-4, and you guys are talking about the GOAT?

Two days after a tweet storm about Khabib Nurmagomedov, former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones hasn’t let go of the GOAT argument.

Jones on Monday posted a selfie video jabbing at Nurmagomedov fans who say the 32-year-old lightweight champ is the best ever.

“I’m talking to all you Khabib fans out there,” said Jones, walking through what appeared to be his house. “Fifteen world titles to your guys’ four, and you guys are really talking about who’s the best fighter ever? You guys are joking, right?

Jones made a petulant face and added: “Fifteen to four. Are you guys’ kidding me?”

It was the second time the former champ asserted his claim on the highly subjective topic. Jones initially praised Nurmagomedov’s performance following this past Saturday’s UFC 254, but said there was no doubt of his status as the MMA GOAT.

Now on the cusp of a move to heavyweight, Jones said his work at 205 pounds has already solidified his legacy.

“The only person that could possibly come back and challenge my record and what I’ve done in the UFC is possibly Georges St-Pierre. He would have to come back and win two championship fights to tie me, and I’m not even retired yet. I’m 33 years old. I’ve got a whole nother chapter to go through.”

Then, in characteristic fashion, Jones added a little sunshine with his shade.

“You guys are nuts – I love you guys so much,” he said. “I hope you guys all have a great day. Fifteen world championships to four.

“And all you guys who are going with this he’s more dominant argument, the just recently started fighting elite-level competition. Could you imagine me against the No. 10 ranked guy?”

In the UFC’s pound-for-pound rankings, Jones currently sits at No. 1 over No. 2 Nurmagomedov. UFC President Dana White indicated that order should change – and “The Eagle” should be declared the GOAT – after Nurmagomedov’s dominant win over Justin Gaethje, which marked his fourth lightweight title defense.

Jones, 33, defended the light heavyweight title eight times in his first reign as champ, and, as he’s repeatedly mentioned, has won in 15 title fights for the undisputed or interim title, though one of his undisputed title wins (UFC 214) was overturned to a no-contest when he failed a post-fight drug test. St-Pierre has won 13 title fights at welterweight and middleweight.

Jones has faced higher-ranked opposition overall due to a nine-year period where he held a title or challenged for one. Nurmagomedov’s resume took a sharp uptick in his later career after a long campaign to win the title. It was also frequently delayed by injuries and fight cancelations, such as the five bouts against Tony Ferguson that were scrapped for one reason or another.

Nurmagomedov has lost far fewer rounds than Jones over his 29-fight career, getting beat in just two rounds, according to publicly available scorecards.

Well, it’s a decent argument he has. It comes down to whether you value title defenses or a no-loss record higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Legends456 View Post
      Well, it’s a decent argument he has. It comes down to whether you value title defenses or a no-loss record higher.
      I think it comes down to one guy tested positive multiple times for PEDs and the other hasn’t. I’m not giving a stance on it, i’m just saying i think that’s something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Legends456 View Post
        Not just that. Jones popped for steroids more than once.

One guy is undefeated, always clean, and only lost one or two rounds maybe ever. Jones has an official loss and to some, a shady gift vs Reyes. Coupled with roids in his arguable biggest win and it’s kind of a no brainer.

Comment

In terms of all-time, Jones definitely has him beat.

But currently, Khabib is P4P 1 over Jones.

Comment

Not much of an MMA guy but my bro and I decided to watch his most recent fight and what a joke it was.

We couldn’t stop laughing. What terrible punching technique and no defense whatsover. The guy blocks punches with his face.

This guy is a KO waiting to happen and he should never even consider going to boxing like Ive been hearing so much about.

He'll do even worse than McGregor.

Easy money and easy win for whoever fights him.

Comment

Not much of an MMA guy but my bro and I decided to watch his most recent fight and what a joke it was.

We couldn’t stop laughing. What terrible punching technique and no defense whatsover. The guy blocks punches with his face.

This guy is a KO waiting to happen and he should never even consider going to boxing like Ive been hearing so much about.

Comment

Jones - DC x2, Gus x2, Hendo, Shogun, Machida, Vitor, Bader, Glover, Rashad, Chael, Rampage

GSP - 2-1 vs Hughes, BJ x2, Koscheck x2, Shields, Fitch, Nick Diaz, Hendricks, Condit, Alves, Sherk, Bisping

Anderson - Hendo, Vitor, Franklin x2, Chael x2, Nick Diaz, Maia, Marquardt, Okami

Khabib - Conor, Dustin, Justin, RDA, Barboza, Michael Johnson, Iaquinta

Khabibs record doesnt have the depth of the other GOAT candidates. And 16 of his 29 wins were in Russian B leagues, with about half of those being against guys that were either making their debuts or had losing records at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledagger View Post

Which boxer could beat him in an actual fight though?

Comment

Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post
                    Which boxer could beat him in an actual fight though?
                    Who gives AF?

He's the one calling out boxers, that's why I brought it up.

No boxer has called him out on a real fight, therefore its irrelevant who would win i a real fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X