No announcement yet.

Ray Robinson Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Robinson Question

I read in the book p4p, that he was a real bad beater of women. he once broke his girlfirends wrist with a punch, his wife edner ray would have to wear make up to hide the marks he'd given her.

I was really shocked about hearing how bad he treated women. and to be honest i lost alot for respect for him. there is no taking away the fact that he is the best and he was a warrior. but i cant help but really have a strong dislike for him on a personal level.

in his prime, he was such a hard man, but yet use to beat on fragile women.

just wanted to get your thoughts on this, i know he aint the only boxer to ever beat a women, there have been plenty etc monzon, tyson.

but havent heard alot about this.

just wanted to get peoples thoughts on this and do you feel like me and have a strong dislike for him on a personal level?

(by the way i dont mean to upset any of his fans, and this is by no means a troll thread)

discuss....

it wouldn't suprise me

corrales,tyson and gatti are the same (apparently) im not sayin it's ok by any means but for me it takes nothing away from them as fighters but maybe as men.

if Ray Robinson did do that then thats ****ed up but he is still the G.O.A.T

i think it's something to do with being a world class fighter and being mentally abit ****ed up it seems to make them lash out at anything they feel challenges them. I mean they do beat the **** outta people for a living so maybe they just can't help exploding from time to time it must be hard.
    i think ultimately they must be really insecure to do that **** though

Comment

Originally posted by ghost deini View Post
      it wouldn't suprise me

corrales,tyson and gatti are the same (apparently) im not sayin it's ok by any means but for me it takes nothing away from them as fighters but maybe as men.

if Ray Robinson did do that then thats ****ed up but he is still the G.O.A.T

i think it's something to do with being a world class fighter and being mentally abit ****ed up it seems to make them lash out at anything they feel challenges them. I mean they do beat the **** outta people for a living so maybe they just can't help exploding from time to time it must be hard.
      yeah dude. i lose so much respect for them as men! but like i said there still unbelivable fighters!

Comment

Me too, I respect Ray as a fighter. I have no time for domestic abuse of women.

Boxers are put under incredible pressure, are trained to peak performance and nurture aggression, its no suprise that it happens from time to time, not that I'd come close to condoning it.

There is nothing wrong with idolising your heros as men too, but you wont find many legends of the ring with the cleanest of lifestyles. So many have had drug problems, have gambled and thrown away money, have been bad husbands and fathers. I admire boxers firstly for their ability in the ring, anything else is a bonus!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post

Boxers are put under incredible pressure, are trained to peak performance and nurture aggression, its no suprise that it happens from time to time, not that I'd come close to condoning it.

There is nothing wrong with idolising your heros as men too, but you wont find many legends of the ring with the cleanest of lifestyles. So many have had drug problems, have gambled and thrown away money, have been bad husbands and fathers. I admire boxers firstly for their ability in the ring, anything else is a bonus!
          good post!

Comment

Cheers bud.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post

spot on analysis still

Comment

There's 1 obscure report that Joe Louis once did this to.. I personally don't believe it, but this is a new one.. Be a shame if he did though, or either of them for that fact.. As already said by some of you, it's not uncommon in the fight game and the reasons were put very precisely by SugarJ..
                Fighters also tend to be very passionate creatures, and many have several kids with almost as many women.. Just off the top of my head, I can name Ali, Foreman, Benn, Holyfield as serial fathers.. But none of these guys bash women.. Maybe Ray's girl wasn't putting out lol...

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                  There's 1 obscure report that Joe Louis once did this to.. I personally don't believe it, but this is a new one.. Be a shame if he did though, or either of them for that fact.. As already said by some of you, it's not uncommon in the fight game and the reasons were put very precisely by SugarJ..
                  Fighters also tend to be very passionate creatures, and many have several kids with almost as many women.. Just off the top of my head, I can name Ali, Foreman, Benn, Holyfield as serial fathers.. But none of these guys bash women.. Maybe Ray's girl wasn't putting out lol...
                  nah man in the book eder ray his wife, sounds like a real nice woman. And ray also had numerous affairs with other women.

just dont get it why he would beat on a fragile women. makes me real angry, and poster slimey limey also claims Joe Louis has beat on a women, dont know how true that is do. any1 confirm it?

Comment

Originally posted by St Lion View Post
                    nah man in the book eder ray his wife, sounds like a real nice woman. And ray also had numerous affairs with other women.

just dont get it why he would beat on a fragile women. makes me real angry, and poster slimey limey also claims Joe Louis has beat on a women, dont know how true that is do. any1 confirm it?
                    Well, I knew about the affairs but wasn't aware of the abuse..
                    With regard to Slimey's post, I've been arguing the point with him for weeks..
                    Reason being is that it's a 1 off alegation in a 1off book, written by a couple of baseball correspondents.. The book was also written in 1978 while Louis was in a mental hospital, & it all seems a bit **** & bull.. The exert is on every one of Slimes posts & there's no way he's backing down either, but I'm still searching for evidence to totally disprove it.. We'll see what we can come up with.. You 100% sure on SRR?

Comment

Working...
                    X