No announcement yet.

Time to go back to 15 rounds?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to go back to 15 rounds?

When I watched the 2nd hopkins taylor fight and the 12th ended I was thinking, man this isnt over, both of these guys have more fight in them and its too close. My history on this is spotty and I dont feel like looking it up right now, but they changed the max number of rounds in a fight from 15 to 12 after the ray mancini duk koo kim fight, right? was it suggested by dr. flip homansky, incorporated by the nevada athletic commission and then followed suit throughout the world? i think thats how it happened.
    anyway, i read about guys 100 years ago going 20, 30, 40 rounds and more. when was it set at 15? was it an unofficial thing that became official? i would think sometime in the 30's or so, but thats just a guess.
    am i the only guy who thinks that there should be 15 rounds again?

i dont know if theyll ever go 15 rounds since after mancini killed duk koo kim r sumthing in the ring back in the 80s they("scientist, experts") found out the 13, 14, and 15th rounds r the rounds the most damage happens, but what the hell do they know? lol but its probobly true since thats a long time to fight.

Comment

I think 15 rounders will separate pretenders from contenders.

Comment

yeah, i agree rebel. i cant count the number of fights ive seen just in the last 2 or 3 years that deserved more rounds.
        if they made the fights longer it wouldnt just test the physical stamina of the fighters, but their strategy also.
        thats where a fight like hopkins-taylor 2 would get really interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by sleazyfellow
          i dont know if theyll ever go 15 rounds since after mancini killed duk koo kim r sumthing in the ring back in the 80s they("scientist, experts") found out the 13, 14, and 15th rounds r the rounds the most damage happens, but what the hell do they know? lol but its probobly true since thats a long time to fight.

yes it was here u guys go.http://boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=1639

Comment

ok, there you go, it WAS the duk kim fight. and the wbc started the change.
            ive never seen the fight, but ive read that it was a beating that should have been stopped way earlier. can you blame the long fight or a bad ref for this?
            by the way, the ref committed suicide a couple months after this fight...

Comment

its the refs fault, he shouldve stopped it, and i heard kim had trouble making weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Stiv Rex
                anyway, i read about guys 100 years ago going 20, 30, 40 rounds and more. when was it set at 15? was it an unofficial thing that became official? i would think sometime in the 30's or so, but thats just a guess.
                am i the only guy who thinks that there should be 15 rounds again?
                the first fight using the mandatory 15 rounds was the heavyweight championship fight between champion jess willard and the challenger jack dempsey. i love that fight. i repeatedly watch it all the time. gotta love mad jack!

Comment

A Gatti-Ward type fight with 15 rounds in this new age of boxing where fighters dehydrate themselves up to the double digits is instant death. Plus, who the **** wants to see Hopkins-Taylor for 15 rounds

Comment

Originally posted by NextRocky
                    its the refs fault, he shouldve stopped it, and i heard kim had trouble making weight.
                    I don't think you can only blame the ref. You blame the ref, then you'd also have to blame the corner and the fighter for being so damn tough.

Although I don't think a boxer wants to die in the ring, I belive every boxer is aware that in between those ropes their is a chance he may die. But a fighter knows that risk and accpets it. Its a shame the ref took his own life, I havn't seen the fight but if Kim was fighting back then why stop the fight, but the Mancini v. Kim fight was the fight that caused the wbc to change the championship rounds to 12 and then the rest of the organizations followed.

I think it would be good to see 15 rounds again or how about have the 15 rounds for rematchs? Anytime a rematch take place, it would be mandatory for the fighters to fight in a 15 round Championship fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X